920 replies to this topic

#46 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

I've just got married (start of August), but sorting the kitchen is top of my list atm instead of the mini! :lol:

I see what's happening here she is making you think the kitchen I more important lol congrats to you both thanks for the comments

Darren

#47 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

nice work, and those photos help alot.

Thanks for advice on my thread.

:)

No worries mike and if you need any more help Don't ask me as I don't really know what I'm doing lol

Always glad to help someone else who has a crusty mini
Darren

#48 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

midweek update time!!

so over the last couple of days ive got a few hours in the garage and was looking at the boot floor and decided to start removing some of the rust well!!! it went a bit far and i was left with this

Posted Image

there turned out to be more than the three layers on the floor it should of been floor, stenghtening plate and valance closure but there was 5 layers on there, so i started cutting and grinding away until i was left with just the subrame bracket although it had rotted away on one side so left a small bit of floor in place to keep the mounting holes present

then i was left with this

Posted Image

Posted Image

so as i dont have the panel to replace what i had taken out i thought id better make one, and with lots bits of cardboard some sort of luck and a little black magic i manage to will this out of my old roof panel

Posted Image

and seeing as this part has a lip that plugs to the arch i cut a small strip from an old panel cleened it all up and welded it to the other piece

Posted Image

Posted Image

after a final fitting and trimming the panel needed cleaning up and a slight bend putting in it and so i was left with a panel that looked like this (its not rusty just a dodgy reflection)

Posted Image

Posted Image

then fitted and clamped the panel in ready for welding

Posted Image

Posted Image

i never got the it fuly welded in as the dinner was ready so called it a day and this is how i left it and the state of my rusty garage floor lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

thats all for now hoping to get it all done tomorrow but got an 80s theamed 30th party to go to so might not have time before as ive got to paint one of my bike helmets to go with my maverick from top gun costume lol, hope you enjoyed

darren

#49 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Darren,

that is a very nice bit of fabrication you have done there, lovely neat welding and dressing down. Plenty of seam sealer on the underside tho !! Just a point tho, the boot floos has some changes in level around the area you are working in and it may be difficult to line it up with the boot repair section when you fit that.

I am only mentioning it as I have been through this and had an inch gap to make good when I did mine, but I'm sure you will be fine looking at your skills.

Graham

#50 hughJ

hughJ

Soldiering Along

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

With you on that Graham - it is a nice repair - most impressed. Graham, doesn't it almost make you wish you were back at the welding stage?! I said almost. Enjoy while you can Darren. It gets you down sometimes. Looks great.

Hugh

#51 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

Graham: I've accounted for two of the three level changes that the area has, one at the front near the suspension turret although this should be a curved bend it's not at the moment so some hammer work to be done and also where the subframe mounts which is where I put my bend in the panel. It points roughly to where the bumper lip should be at the back and I have made it over size so I can still work with it when the repair panel arrives so hopefully it should all come together with lots of clamps I saw the great job you did of taking up the gap in your boot but I'm hoping for a less extreme gap if any lol

#52 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

Almost forgot Hugh if you want you can borrow my shell and weld away untill you remember what the welding stage was like then bring it back like new when your done lol it's good fun when everything is going right

Cheers darren

#53 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

Thought you would have it covered, and Hugh, much rather be welding than prepping for paint and worrying about it !! Keep at it Darren !!

#54 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Darren, if Hugh does your shell, Graham can do mine.

you're making really good progress!

Well done.

#55 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

Darren, if Hugh does your shell, Graham can do mine.

you're making really good progress!

Well done.

thats sounds like a plan to me carlos lol

so today i got a little more time in the garade after work and finished off welding the panel in and then ground all the welds down as much as i could as it was a tight curve in the wheel well

Posted Image

Posted Image

and on the inside ground it down and with a skim of filler you would not tell it was there just need to finish of the corner when the arch and quarter are out

Posted Image

Posted Image

then seam sealed the outside welds and primed looks pretty good if i do say so myself

Posted Image

Posted Image

thats it for now i need to get some hands over to my garage to turn the shell over will hopefully get that done next week then i can clean out the garage as it needs a good sorting

cheers darren

Edited by Minidarren83, 31 August 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#56 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Darren,

your welding has come on leaps and bounds my man !! That is a very nice repair you have done, look forward to the boot panel now.

Graham

#57 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Plenty of stone chip and it'll look better than new

#58 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

cheers graham it turned out pretty nice in the end didnt look so good when i had just finished the welding but nothing a good grinding cant sort out. i am hoping to get the other side done in the next few months then i can do the boot arches and quarters then dare i say it is paint

#59 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

i was thinking of using this stonechip has anyone used it or seen anything like it before? it looks like a pretty good product it is either this or the upol stuff

#60 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

my first update of the week and feel like i have not updated for a while

ive not got a massive amount of progress done on the actual mini but still got lots done ive got the mini flipped round and ended up doing it by myself which was fun got it out of the gareage for the first time in a few months and cleaned out all the garage and put the mini back to reveal why i started on the other side first this one is slightly worse so i have my work cut out for me ahead

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and with that done i thought it was about time i got on with stripping the block down and seeing what i am up against and why it would not rotate through a full cycle by hand and this is what i found

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and this is the state of the pistons the rings where seized to the piston the bores are very dirty

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and with all that ready to go off the the machine shop when i can afford it i wrapped up all the bits and set them aside on the bench

Posted Image

also this week i painted the front subframe i bought it for £50 and was powdercoated bright red but my car will be white and i wanted the subs to be blue with red contrasting bits

Thats all for now more to come in a few days Darren

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users