beentheunseen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Local Club: Notts about Minis

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Hi guys,

Thought i'd share with y'all something i've been working on...

I just finished building a reprap 3d printer (which is a whole other story, see http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap). Anyways, I wanted a way to install my iPhone in my Mini, but all of the holders I could find on the market were either incredibly ugly or incredibly expensive. So, I decided to make a bespoke mini one using rapid prototyping.

Attached File  withAshtray.jpg   100.84K   147 downloadsAttached File  inCar2.jpg   87.8K   218 downloads

It basically replaces the ashtray in the centre of the upper dash rail - no bolts/screws, no drilling holes, no lame sucker cups or sticky pads...

It's made up of 4 components, the base piece that goes into the ashtray slot, a back plate holding all the connections, a spacer piece, and the iphone cradle itself. The cradle is designed to hold the phone when it is fitted in it's case. No need for an adjustable angle as it's bespoke for a Mini!

Attached File  cad.jpg   15.66K   88 downloadsAttached File  printing.jpg   132.02K   90 downloads

After printing, I shelled a cheapo cigarettle lighter adaptor to get the sweet sweet voltage regualtor from within:

Attached File  ciggyplug1.jpg   95.36K   31 downloadsAttached File  ciggyplug2.jpg   135.69K   45 downloads

I also decapiated an iphone cable with audio and power connections, and threaded it into the unit. I then soldered the power usb power cables directly to the circuit board. The audio output wires were soldered to a couple of RCA suface mount jacks, and the power input to spade connectors. These were then mounted on the back plate:

Attached File  wired.jpg   100.37K   55 downloadsAttached File  closed.jpg   92.99K   49 downloads

Done deal. I hooked it up to my Mini using shielded RCA cables, and a switched 12v output was wired to the spade conenctors, via a fuse of course. The negative cable was wired to the same point on the bodywork as the head unit to avoid ground loops.

Attached File  hookedUp.jpg   104.77K   67 downloadsAttached File  doneDeal.jpg   96.3K   103 downloads

Boom. After a few initial engine interference issues, it now works perfectly! I can play music, stream podcasts, use satnav, charge my phone, and almost make hands-free calls. Only slight issue is that apple doesnt allow call audio to be routed through the 30-pin connector at the bottom, you have to use the 3.5mm headphone jack at the top... The next job will be to integrate this, though it won't be quite as neat to have a cable running into the top.

In closing, 3d printing makes dreams come true. Now where am I going to put my coins...

Attached Files

Edited by beentheunseen, 27 July 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#2 minimarco

minimarco

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

You should receive a Nobel prize for awesome.

Or money.

Edited by minimarco, 26 July 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#3 beentheunseen

beentheunseen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Local Club: Notts about Minis

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hi guys,

Thought i'd share with y'all something i've been working on...

I just finished building a reprap 3d printer (which is a whole other story, see http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap). Anyways, I wanted a way to install my iPhone in my Mini, but all of the holders I could find on the market were either incredibly ugly or incredibly expensive. So, I decided to make a bespoke mini one using rapid prototyping.

Attached File  inCar2.jpg   87.8K   28 downloadsAttached File  withAshtray.jpg   100.84K   21 downloads

It basically replaces the ashtray in the centre of the upper dash rail - no bolts/screws, no drilling holes, no lame sucker cups or sticky pads...

It's made up of 4 components, the base piece that goes into the ashtray slot, a back plate holding all the connections, a spacer piece, and the iphone cradle itself. The cradle is designed to hold the phone when it is fitted in it's case. No need for an adjustable angle as it's bespoke for a Mini!

Attached File  cad.jpg   15.66K   23 downloadsAttached File  printing.jpg   132.02K   21 downloads

After printing, I shelled a cheapo cigarettle lighter adaptor to get the sweet sweet voltage regualtor from within:

Attached File  ciggyplug1.jpg   95.36K   9 downloadsAttached File  ciggyplug2.jpg   135.69K   15 downloads

I also decapiated an iphone cable with audio and power connections, and threaded it into the unit. I then soldered the power usb power cables directly to the circuit board. The audio output wires were soldered to a couple of RCA suface mount jacks, and the power input to spade connectors. These were then mounted on the back plate:

Attached File  wired.jpg   100.37K   20 downloadsAttached File  closed.jpg   92.99K   16 downloads

Done deal. I hooked it up to my Mini using shielded RCA cables, and a switched 12v output was wired to the spade conenctors, via a fuse of course. The negative cable was wired to the same point on the bodywork as the head unit to avoid ground loops.

Attached File  hookedUp.jpg   104.77K   22 downloadsAttached File  doneDeal.jpg   96.3K   23 downloads

Boom. After a few initial engine interference issues, it now works perfectly! I can play music, stream podcasts, use satnav, charge my phone, and almost make hands-free calls. Only slight issue is that apple doesnt allow call audio to be routed through the 30-pin connector at the bottom, you have to use the 3.5mm headphone jack at the top... The next job will be to integrate this, though it won't be quite as neat to have a cable running into the top.

In closing, 3d printing makes dreams come true. Now where am I going to put my coins...

Edited by beentheunseen, 26 July 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#4 2-alex-2

2-alex-2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Local Club: SouthWalesMini club

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

i would pay money to have one of them. did you make more than one ?

#5 zinzan

zinzan

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Local Club: me and my imaginary friend

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

If you're selling, I'm buying!

#6 MiniLuke

MiniLuke

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Genius!

#7 Rainy

Rainy

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

I want one too!

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

Since you own the IPR's, why not offer it to a company like Mini spares to market. Keith Dodd would probably be interested in marketing it with you getting a royalty for each one sold.

#9 Andrew O

Andrew O

Previously known as Andrewo330.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

I would buy one of these now. Are you going to make more ?

Andrew.

#10 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

ide pay for one of these :)

#11 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Excellent little project! loving the sound of the 3d printer! arduino based ?

#12 DaveJH

DaveJH

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

Wow, that is very neat, I love it! I'd pay for a Galaxy S2 version, though I'd love to design and make one myself - if only I have enough money to get myself a printer...

#13 DaveJH

DaveJH

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

Also, which version of the reprap did you make? And do you fancy printing the plastic parts for me to make one? =] I am an engineering student just finishing my masters, I'd love one!

#14 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

Also, which version of the reprap did you make? And do you fancy printing the plastic parts for me to make one? =] I am an engineering student just finishing my masters, I'd love one!

Not the only one who was looking at getting the bits to make one as well ;)

even better if its arduino based as I have one sitting on my desk waiting for a purpose!

#15 Jakeclubby

Jakeclubby

Previously known as Jakemayfair

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

Excuse my french but you are an EFFING GENIUS my friend that is simply amazing... !!! :) make one for a galaxy note and youve got a customer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users