20 replies to this topic

#1 roeman

roeman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:42 PM

Hi i want to put some minilights on my 1990 mini, iwas looking at 13x7 but people are talking about cutting up the car to fit them!, so can i fit 12x6s or 7 without any modifications, in other words just fit them and drive??
Cheers! Roeman

#2 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:57 PM

I think 12 x 6 will be fine, I'm 100% not sure though as it depends on you arches.

One of the more knowledgeable members will let you know soon.

While you wait why not post a hello in the ”Introduce yourself” section.

Welcome to the site

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:48 PM

Okay if you really want to be safe put on some original rover minilites (4.5"). These shouldnt rub.

12x6s rub almost all the time. 13x5.5 will also rub almost all the time.

Im afraid the problem with rubbing is often present, not so much due to wheel size but rather because of the front suspension being lower due to sagging (and often knackered knuckle joints dont help!)

If you drive carefully 12x6's might not rub depending on your car, tyres, pressure etc.

If you're adventurous though, you may even have to cut the arches to fit 12x5!!!

It's one of those things where you just have to look and see. Cutting the arches is hardly a difficult task though, so don't be put off by it!

#4 Zeemax

Zeemax

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:36 PM

Ive got 7x13 and they dont rub as much as you would think.

its just harder to make full lock.

#5 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:11 PM

I've got 5.5 x 12" deepish dish on mine, and they scrape on full lock..

I really really really waned 12" 6" 'big deep's but got talked out of it by the man at huddersfield because he said it was too much hassle cutting away the arches and that.

Rich.

#6 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:48 PM

Most of it depends what size the tyre profile is.

145/70/12's will fit no problem, however 145's are a bit on the skinny side.

165/60/12 should fit ok also.

#7 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:05 PM

Generally speaking, anything over standard 5x12 or 5x10 will rub, unless you have hi-los or previously modded arches. But in the same breath, you ma get lucky and fit a set of deep dish 6x12's and be ok.
If your going for wider wheels tho you'll need arch extensions, so you might as well either cut your archs back or bend them up because they wont be visable behind the extensions.

#8 Tucker SP

Tucker SP

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:06 AM

I was thinking of good old star mags on mine :grin:

she hads SP arches, do you it will be ok?

Cheers
Tucker

#9 roeman

roeman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:47 AM

so if i added sportspack acrhes it would look ok, but wouldn't a 12x5.5 look a bit small in a sports pack arch??

#10 Tucker SP

Tucker SP

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:49 AM

I have 12x5 with SP amd they look poop, thats why i want to go bigger with starmags

#11 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:12 AM

Starmags have a nice off-set and fill SP arches perfectly as do SUperlites. The standard SP wheels they fit look C**p because even they dont fill the arce fully, and in my opinion it looks wrong if your wheels dont fill your arch rite to the edge.

#12 Tucker SP

Tucker SP

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:17 AM

Agreed :cheese: but will starmags fit under mine??

#13 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:42 AM

Hi i want to put some minilights on my 1990 mini, iwas looking at 13x7 but people are talking about cutting up the car to fit them!, so can i fit 12x6s or 7 without any modifications, in other words just fit them and drive??
Cheers! Roeman

my mate has 12x6" minilites with 165 falkens on his standard mini neon and they didnt rub at all when driving normally but they did in reverse on full lock but it was litrally just a scuff on the bulkhead. the MOT tester saw the mark and failed the car. I think he throught the subframe was out of alighnment or something. I never got to fix the problem as my mate hit a lamp post the next day, it deffinetly rubs now! you might get away with it! but then again you might not. They did look bloody great though and the grip level was great too.

good luck whatever you choose! :grin:

#14 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:58 PM

Why comprimise?
12x6s srcub if you drive fast like you should do.

So Either fit 10's
or fit 13x7s and cut your arches.

You can buy arch templates from P&L mini's so you know where to cut and drill fixing holes.
Or get a garage to do it. Won't cost a lot if you give em the template.

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:25 PM

The bigger the wheel the worse the handling, or so it always seems. The best handling Minis are on 4.5" or 5" x 10 with 165/70x10 Yokohama or Falken tyres at about 35 psi all round.
Conversly, the worst handling Mini I have ever driven, and I've driven scores over the lasat 40 years, was on 13" wheels, don't ask me how wide as the handling was such sh**e I didn't bother to ask - it just seemed a shame to make a fabulous car handle so badly.
With the really wide wheels the front suspension geometry is all wrong. Remember the suspension was originally designed for 10" narrow wheels. If you can't get 10" wheels on the best option is the Rover Minilites with 165/60x12" Falken or Yoko tyres at about 34 psi all round.
Maybe it depends on whether you are a real Mini driver who can appreciate the finer points of Mini handling, or just want your car for show, not for GO!.
You kinda take your choice, I guess. I just like my cars to GO!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users