46 replies to this topic

#1 MiniNissan

MiniNissan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hi, My name is Bart Verstappen from the Netherlands. I've been reading everybody's topics and story's about they're cars for some time now, and decided it was time to make a topic of my own conversion. I started about a year ago. Ongoing reliability-problems with the original a-series made me look into other options.
Since i work for a nissan dealership, the choice of the Micra CG13 engine almost came natural. So i bought a 94 1.0 model and took out the gearbox, selector mechanism, and some other small parts. everything that was left i took to a local scrapyard and traded in to a CG13 with only 29000km's on it.

i made a frame, which uses the original towers from the mini's subrame, but the rest is a tubular custom frame.
Posted Image

after further strenghtening and powdercoat.
Posted Image

How the engine sits in the frame.
Posted Image
made up some engine mounts.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Because of it being LHD i had to reposition the steering rack, a bit lower.
Posted Image

modified the bulkhead to clear the carbs.
Posted Image

painted the engine bay and fitted everything back together.
Posted Image
Posted Image

how it looks now.
Posted Image

the carbs are Yamaha R1 carbs and the radiator is a from a Mini MPI. i have a lot more pictures on my phone and once i figured out how to get them on the computer i will post them up.
I must say i'm very pleased with the conversion. after a few test drives is definitetly feels good, and as quick as the 1293 stage 4 it had before. the 1.0 box is maybe a bit short with the 10" wheels. but now i have a fifth gear which makes up for it.

#2 Skortchio

Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Looks excellent, buddy!
Very neatly executed.

I'm considering a CG13 for my conversion, so the more pictures the better!

I'll be using an automatic transmission, don't suppose you know if they're much bigger - working in a dealer and all ;-)

#3 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

Looks great, Ive always likes tubular frames

mine is the same, bike carbs and mpi rad up front. How cone you had to cut the bulkhead ?

#4 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

Ignore me, just noticed you engine is much further back than mine

Edited by l_jonez, 03 August 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#5 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

very neat.

#6 MiniNissan

MiniNissan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

Looks excellent, buddy!
Very neatly executed.

I'm considering a CG13 for my conversion, so the more pictures the better!

I'll be using an automatic transmission, don't suppose you know if they're much bigger - working in a dealer and all ;-)

Thanks man, The K11 CVT automatic box is alot bigger then the manual box. however it might be possible to adapt the older K10 automatic box to the CG13 engine.
ik think its worth looking into this. although i'm sure that a MA10/12 flywheel does not fit a CG engine.
maybe someone else on here tried it before?

#7 MiniNissan

MiniNissan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Ignore me, just noticed you engine is much further back than mine

The engine is as far back as possible, the waterpump only just misses the righthand subframe tower, i could get away with the standard bulkhead i guess, but now i can use a more desirable and longer inlet manifold. What bike are you carbs from, how do you think it is on fuelling? mine runs a little rich it seems, but pick up is perfect, bit sensitive on throttle tough.

Edited by MiniNissan, 03 August 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#8 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Mine are from a 750zzr I believe. I'm currently running a 1.0 engine and it seems a bit rich. Hopefully the 1.3 will go in next week and I'm fitting a wide band lamda sensor at the same time so i can get the fueling right

#9 MiniNissan

MiniNissan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Cool, i also thought about fitting a lambda-sensor on mine, i'll be watching your thread to see what your results are.
how do you rate the megajolt system on the micra engine? Fully mappable electronic ignition is one of my future mods on the car.

#10 MiniNissan

MiniNissan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

I found out how i get my pictures from my phone to my computer and on here :proud: , here are few more pictures,
The gear selection only uses a home made bracket, the Nissan lever an shortened rod.
Posted Image

and on the car, a carbon fibre cover will be made to prevent splashing water coming in the car
Posted Image

front mounted alternator
Posted Image
Posted Image

exhaust downpipe, with flexible joint mated to mini's stainless exhaust system
Posted Image

carbs are a snug fit in the modded bulkhead, not touching under accelaration or decelaration though.
Posted Image

Edited by MiniNissan, 06 August 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#11 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

I love Megajolt, it works brilliantly and is relatively cheap, I'll never run a dizzy again.

What you planning on using for ignition to start with?

#12 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

Wow, this looks fantastic! That engine bay looks so clean and tidy!

#13 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

Really neat installation, do you have any more pictures of how the subframe gets around the inner wings? I've never seen a subframe design that has support from the top of the suspension towers down to the front support that didn't require removal of the inner wings, would be great to see how you've done it. Hope my project turns out as neat as yours.

#14 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Really neat installation, do you have any more pictures of how the subframe gets around the inner wings? I've never seen a subframe design that has support from the top of the suspension towers down to the front support that didn't require removal of the inner wings, would be great to see how you've done it. Hope my project turns out as neat as yours.

dont want to hi-jack the thread but check out my build, my subframe also clears the inner wings. ( i haven't got any because of a removable front but the frame was tested in a normal front and there was good clearance)

#15 tangoed

tangoed

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

is that the nissan alternator with the standered belt and brackets still fitting behind the grill ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users