#31 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thanks; my idea was that the mini frames strength was down low at the base of the towers so I tried to work from this point, building from the top of the suspension towers has been popular in starlet conversions over here but now they are literally beginning to crack. O_O

Really? Nearly all other conversions vaux, vtec etc etc use bracing between the towers and front of the frame and I can't say I've heard of a single case of any problems over on the 16v mini club the 5 years I've been a member.

#32 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Really? Nearly all other conversions vaux, vtec etc etc use bracing between the towers and front of the frame and I can't say I've heard of a single case of any problems over on the 16v mini club the 5 years I've been a member.

These were a bit different; there was only two rails running from the top of the subframe towers, these came out picked up the engine mounts then dropped down to the tie bars mounts, the front was joined but there was no supports running underneath the engine. Added to this the inner wings generally needed to be chopped. As I understand the tie bars flexed the whole thing and it cracked sometimes with the body at the front

The one's that have cracked have been pretty high HP conversions ~200hp Starlet GTs, they are now putting bolt on bars below the engine to brace these subframes up.
They are quite different from the cradles I've seen on this site, and different to bracing you describe, I was tempted to add similar bracing to mine.

#33 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Ah ok that makes more sense, also sounds like a poor design from the start.

#34 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

Ah ok that makes more sense, also sounds like a poor design from the start.

Yeah, it's not how I would have done it. It looked even worse when I worked out how much force the tie rods must be asked to take.

#35 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:55 AM

That is a interesting read about the alternators on that TurboMinis link.

Hopefully downsizing my alternator will stop from hanging out the front.

I just went and bought a 91 Daihatsu Charade Alternator (Denso) that has a 4 groove belt the same as the waterpump belt! :D (relevant number is 27060-87721)
Good for 2 reasons, I don't have to sort out a new pulley to get it to work and I now know I have enough belt to drive my alternator properly.

Not sure how well it will fit and I won't be able to find out for a while I'm afraid, as I'm not near my mini at the moment.

Worst case it might help alleviate clearance issues in and around the Brake master cylinder if I have to mount it up there.

The Micra crank pulley is 88mm and the alternator's pulley is 45mm (by eye) so the alternator should be doing close to twice the speed of the crank which probably means it might be able to use a smaller pulley again if the top rpm is near the 18000 suggested on the turbo minis link (this was for Brise though maybe they use better bearings).
I haven't been able to find out the diameter of the charade's crank pulley so not sure how fast the alternator is supposed to spin...

#36 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

was this car in minimag 2006ish with an a series engine in?

#37 MiniNissan

MiniNissan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Well spotted! it was in miniworld may 2006 issue. it was just finished back then. it had a lot of changes since then. including stage 4 head and 286 cam and such, but ongoing reliability problems with the a-series(a crankshaft trust bearing decided it was time to leave), made me go the nissan route.

#38 MiniNissan

MiniNissan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

just before the a-series went out it looked like this:
Posted Image

#39 MiniNissan

MiniNissan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

i started to make a dashbord today, not sure what to do with gauges, ideas anyone?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 MiniNissan

MiniNissan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

didn't do much on the car lately and i got bored last saturday, so i decided to shave the word nissan off the rocker cover, and because the standard HT leads were a little short with the standard cap, i fitted a side-entry-version.
Posted Image

Edited by MiniNissan, 16 October 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#41 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

lovely car! any more progress?

#42 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

2012-10-06121211_zpsb2c2aa48.jpg

This is such a tidy install I love it!

I also took the Nissan off of my rocker cover and left the 16V lettering.

Huge inspiration to sort my bay out.

#43 MiniNissan

MiniNissan

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, no updates unfortunately, i'm busy renovating our house atm. next job on the car is repainting the inside.

#44 Roelandt

Roelandt

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

Hi Bart,

what model R1 carbs did you use?? Would you also be able to give me a bit more information about fitting the A-series distributer to the cg13 engine.

Thanks

Roel

#45 blue gt

blue gt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:45 AM

This has to be the cleanest micra engine conversion I've seen! I'm now very tempted to give this ago to my mini!

Edited by blue gt, 16 November 2015 - 05:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users