31 replies to this topic

#31 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

I think the main thing to remember with a mini is the lack of any crumple zones and airbags compared to modern cars. Don't let that put you off driving a mini though, but you kinda do need to be aware that you are not surrounded by big blow up bags when an impact happens...unless you like driving with a (ahem!!) blow up doll !!!

Now onto the more interesting stuff.....

Make sure your tyres are decent, in good condition and check the pressures - this won't improve the handling as such but will make the handling more predicatable.

Someone else mentioned the no braking mid corner. Definately avoid this one as it unsettles a car (any car for that matter) and the rear will end up coming round and might just be the start of a spin! This is a technique used by rally drivers to get a car sideways (see left-foot braking) but does require space and practice!!!!! I did this whilst going too fast up a country lane...the car's back end started to come round so i gave a little opposite lock to try and save a spin happening. The tyres gripped and spat me to the outside of the bend and straight into a massive oak tree!!!! i was fine....the car needed alot of work!!!!! Was a long time ago when i was younger tho.

Keep your car maintained. If you look after the car then it shouldn't let you down. Remember that the mini's technology dates back to the 1950's so unlike modern cars, will need to be cared for and tweeked every now and again....any questions or problems then ask on here and someone will help you.

Take pride in your car and more often than not you'll drive it with more respect and not like an idiot.

A track day is a waste of time unless it is a mini (or classic car) only day. You won't learn anything as all you'll be doing is looking in your mirrors trying to get out of the way of faster cars. I did a track day in my mk1 golf gti and was one of the slowest cars there!!! so unless you have a very hot mini....stay away from the track days unless you fancy porsches or westfields going past at high speed!!!!

A handling day might be a better solution. They are a little like track days in the sense they are not held on roads, but are usually held on dissused airfields and allow a bit more run off space should your talent run out.

Most important though - enjoy your mini and the freedom that you get from a driving licence (well done by the way). Don't drive like you think you are the next F1 or WRC star and you'll do fine. If you do want to push your handling....do it somewhere away from other cars and ideally on private land otherwise the boys in blue will be all over you and your licence may not last very long!

Beautifully summarized.

What else can be added? Defensive drive is the best approach to traffic driving, so keep an eye at the mirrors for bikes and people coming up too close at the rear, dont race them, coast if necessary and just let them pass.
So many idiots on the road see a mini and want to race them, dont follow them, let em trash they'r car, and have a laugh. Racing is for tracks, not around town.

#32 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

Mini's may handle better than a modern car (which is purely subjective and essentially how the car reacts to steering input) however, they don't stick to the road very well, in fact, my MK2 golf with an motley collection of budget tyres and suspension that resembles a pogo stick will still go round corners faster than my mini ever could. They aren't the most forgiving of cars, so be careful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users