Question About Auto Gear Shift Linkage And Kickdown
Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:33 PM
I've lived with my auto transmission slipping for aaaaages but now I'm about to be off to the uk for Uni and my parents are threatening to sell my beloved Cooper, I may be able to convince them that I can keep it but I will need your brilliant minds to help me out.
My car is a Jap Auto cooper spi 1275cc and I love her but the damn automatic transmission has been slipping since i bought her. I have done about 5-6 oil changes this year and had an issue with my ecu, but she still refuses to run anything but strong (good ol' girl). The problems come when you try to move. If i go into drive nothing will happen until I raise the revs to about 1200 and wait 3 seconds then all is good, then the car is a beauty and shifts, all be it like a sad old granny but is not an issue until I hit 3rd gear, then the car will not shift into 4th unless I slide the shifter into 3rd and then back into D. Then 90% of the time it slides in, the other 10% though it will just spin until I plant my foot and find it has put itself in 1st so I just repeat the process and all is good, I'm a happy camper in 4th gear no troubles. My car is a 98 and has 47000 Km's on it so I find it hard to imagine how the tranny is klunked out.
I've heard that changing the oil with cheap stuff running then replacing 3 times does help some people, but since I've done 5 oil changes in the past year and a half and have only put 5000Km's on the car can't see how that would help. I would imagine that possibly my problem lies in the in the gear shift linkage or kickdown lever. Also I have two plugs on my ecu and on the smaller plug the wires are cut, any chance the ecu has some impact on this.
Also we pulled the transmission and checked the governor and the clutch plates, and they looked fine. (According to the very experienced technician I had working with me)
Please guys, SAVE MY MINI!!!
Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:53 PM
Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:51 PM
Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:57 PM
Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:08 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users