#1 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Local Club: Crews missels

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

As the title says realy. I bought a set of wheels minilights, and have had them on the car for the build of it but the thing has never turn a wheel upuntil now. its been on a trailer to the body shop who sent me back out of there to the the welders shop and from there home as ran out of money. so three trailer trips and the wheeels have been tighten up, but each time they come off, on the back only. when I look into it it seems as if the PCD is fine as its mini. but the whole in the centre of wheel is not seating all the way back and its not clamping the disc to the hub. this I think is the problem. And the fact I have a brand new set of wheels that dont fit.
Still waiting for Zacrs responce. love a set of force racing wheels but that not an option at the min.

#2 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

I have been told VW polo has the same PCD and off set, anyone confirm that.

#3 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

lee, is it catching on the caliper? that was the problem with my minilites. i eventually sent them back to minisport and i got a set from midland wheels which fitted perfect, although the nice finish only lasted around a year then the lacquer started to get veins in it and they looked awful

Ed

#4 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

I have been told VW polo has the same PCD and off set, anyone confirm that.

They are not the same as a mini

Cheers
David

#5 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

I doubt very much the centre bore on the discs you have will match the wheels, I have purchased a set of spigot rings to ensure I get a centralised wheel as I don't want any wobble; that said I've got a few sets of wheels and the wheel centre bore differs on them so I need more than one set of rings!!

I did notice that my studs aren't threaded all the way down so the nuts bottom out before the wheel is clamped to the disc. Do your wheels feel tight once they are done up? and do they look square to the mating face? pictures would be great if you had any too

#6 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hi, my nuts dont bolt all the way down, they bottom out with the nuts done right up. I just used spacers to overcome this though, but might not be the best way round it.

#7 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

If you have got regular closed chrome effect mini nuts have you tried using open ended nuts? you can get them off fleabay: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c2956cac7

#8 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Hi Andy, with mine it's not actually the design of the nut, its the studs that prevent them from being done up fully; I have about 5mm of stud that isn't threaded and because i'm running on steelies some of this protrudes through the front face of the wheel, the nuts literally run out of thread.

I don't think I can add a spacer to remove this due to my arches and offset, so i'll be running longer nuts with the first few threads removed or changing the studs to some that are fully threaded. I don't get this problem if my alloys are fitted though as the mating face is lot thicker.

#9 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the replys lads, ED they are not catching on the caliper. I have clearence there just abought. they are not clamping down all the way home. its the center hole it my be tapered? the wheel will not clamp solid all the way back and there fore the disc is still floating as this needs to be clamped down to the hub. but what I think is happening is is the disc wobbles the wheel loose even when i tourqure them down. Its not been driven and I never would like this, R1 mini Thanks. Ben I will check to see if the thread gos all the way down, thanks. CPTKIRK. THANKS i HAVE THE CHROME MINI LITE WHEEL NUTS. WHAT DIFFERANCE DOSE HIS MAKE WITHOUT SOUNDING RUDE! will try to post a picture up but as you know by now iam the the best on I.T. Cheers Lee

#10 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

http://s1001.photobu...gine/bodywoork/
With a bit of look this should be some pictures of whats happening?

#11 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

look at page 2 second row wheel nut. Any thoughts?

#12 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

. CPTKIRK. THANKS i HAVE THE CHROME MINI LITE WHEEL NUTS. WHAT DIFFERANCE DOSE HIS MAKE WITHOUT SOUNDING RUDE!

No Worries, I should have explained myself a bit better. From what I can gather your nuts are not holding the wheel firmly against the hub. I figured that if you had studs that are a bit too long and were using closed nuts like these:

Posted Image
then you are only able to do up the nut until the stud hits in the inside of the nut.

If you were to use open ended nuts like these:

Posted Image

the nuts would never top out and you should theoretically get the wheel to sit firmly against the hub.

Is this a bit clearer now? if its not I can do a sketch to back up what I am saying.

I beleive that mini-lite nuts are slightly different to normal mini nuts (I thought the taper is slightly different) so if you were able to get some regular open ended mini nuts to make the wheel sit correctly then at least you would know its the nuts that are the problem and then you would have to try some deeper closed nuts - heres a link to some deep mini lite nuts: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c2a016e1f or just buy the deeper closed nuts and ignore what I was saying about the open nuts as it does exactly the same thing......

You may also have the issue that the inside diameter of the hole in the centre of the wheel is smaller than the outside diameter of the lip on the hub that the wheel normally sits on - is this also the case?

Edited by cptkirk, 24 September 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#13 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

will try to post a picture up but as you know by now iam the the best on I.T. Cheers Lee

Lee, here's how to post pictures from your photobucket account:

In your photobucket account click on the direct link bit with the http in it and it will go blue, right click over it and choose copy:

Posted Image

then when relying in the forum click on the image button:

Posted Image

then a window will appear for a URL, just right click over the box and choose paste from the list and this will drop the link to your photobucket account into the forum, click OK - woo hoo - job done

Posted Image

#14 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

Andy your a star Man. Its so much easier when your show how.I will keep this on my laptop for next time. and again yes i can see your thoughts with the wheel nuts. but I may still have the problem with the whole in the center off the wheel being to small for the hub. Thanks Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users