Photo
- - - - -

Has Anybody Ever Looked Into A Corsa Vxr Engine Conversion?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

As above really...

Surely it wouldn't be much more work than some of the other engine conversions done?

Cheers

Edited by megamini_jb, 07 September 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#2 Spud_133

Spud_133

mmm potato and cheese....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

What about the fact the gearboxes are made of cheese?

#3 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

Never really heard much bad stuff about the gearboxes to be honest. I've done nearly 55k in mine and never had a problem with the engine/box

#4 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Heavy things to be putting in a Mini.

#5 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Never really heard much bad stuff about the gearboxes to be honest. I've done nearly 55k in mine and never had a problem with the engine/box

We've done 2 at work just over the summer.
The cost is the major factor of most engine conversions, if you have the money then go for it
Buying the engine though is not even half of the final cost though

#6 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

One problem would be the throttle control. All vauxhall engines since the Z series (z16se, z18xe, etc) have been fly by wire. There is no cable connecting the accelerator pedal to the throttle body.

The other thing is that the corsa VXR engine produces the power it does because of the careful manifold design and other parts and the ECU tuning for those parts. If you were to cut and modify them to make them fit into a mini then you would loose that power. The corsa VXR engine is turbocharged so you need to figure out how to get the turbo to fit and other parts such as the inter cooler.

As for the gearbox assuming that the engine block casting hasn't changed (the E, C, X and Z series are all the same externally) then you could possibly fit an older F series 5 speed gearbox. You would just have to sort out a clutch that would work.

I think fitting the engine would not be that difficult. Getting it running afterwards is a different story.

People have fitted the C20xe engine into the mini and that is a big block engine. I would doubt the weight of the corsa VXR engine being a problem.

189 bhp mini would be lively. If you've got the money to do it then I say go for it but if you have never done an engine conversion before I would suggest sticking to a tried and tested engine.

I am fitting an x18xe1 engine which is a nightmare due to the inlet. My plan is to eventually build a turbo version up or to build a turbo x14xe engine and bore it out up to a 1.5 so that it will allow the mini to be in the lower tax bracket.

#7 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

Thanks. Yeah, that's the thing though, I've never done an engine conversion so doing one that hasn't been done before will probably be a massive headache. And a lot of work!

The engine wouldn't be mine out of my corsa, but I know someone who has one ready.

I know you can't really say an amount of money to do a conversion if it hasn't been done before, but say I had the fully repaired strong rolling shell and the engine etc, how much would you have thought?

#8 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

I've already got about 3400 put away which was meant to be for a mk1 mini when I want one so that money would be a start

#9 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

My mini so far is costing me about £2500 but that includes a full restoration on the shell and loads of upgrade parts. The actual conversion so far is only probably about £600. I managed to get an engine and load of other bits for £200 and I've built my own frame.

For your budget I would imagine that a tried and tested engine conversion could be done. Its all the other things like upgrading brakes and repairing things you didn't expect that add to the cost.

It really depends how much you could get the complete engine and other bits needed with it for. If you could get it all for less than £500 and were to build your own frame then yes I would say it is possible for the money you have. I'm not saying that is what it is going to cost you, but I would imaging possible. It may be possible to stretch to an all speed frame as well but they have not be designed for the new corsa VXR engine so unless you can confirm that it will bolt in, I personally wouldn't bother. I wouldn't want to spend the money on the frame and then find out either it wouldn't work or I would have to modify it. If I had to modify an all speed frame I would rather built one myself.

I would also suggest that you buy a complete donor car. It works out cheaper usually than buying it bit by bit and there is always something you forget.

If you are really clever, fabricate your own frame and get a donor vehicle for £250 or less then I reckon you could just do it for a grand.

A clubman front would make it a lot easier as well. Getting the inter cooler in may be a bit of a squeeze.

#10 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

The engine ain't cheap lol. The shell I'd of thought you could pick up a decent restored one for about a grand? I'm not too sure...
And I think making a subframe would be the best bet.

Could save a bit of money when buying the engine because I still have the standard parts that came off my corsa when I went stage 3. It looks as though the engine would fit nice and snug in a mini, even the intercooler, rad pack is big though so would have to look into that. How the hell would you go about the exhaust system?

Edit: Thinking about it, if I was to do a build like this I'd have to sell my corsa. It's silly even thinking about running the corsa, my cheapo civic and building this mini. Can't afford it. I do like the tried and tested conversions, honda and vaux ones, but whole point of the VXR conversion is something different and would be awesome! Now would all the time money etc be worth getting rid of my corsa?.... going to be a big conversion. It's going to be a risk throwing money at this

Edited by megamini_jb, 09 September 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#11 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

I doubt you could get a restored mini for a grand. If you bought just the shell then you would need to source all the other parts as well. You really need hilos or adjustable coil overs to corner weight the vehicle as the new engine will change the weight distribution. The money you have I would expect to spend on the conversion alone. I doubt you would be able to buy a mini with that as well as do the conversion. An All speed frame is £499 plus shipping. Then there is the shafts, lower arms and other bits you will need.

For the exhaust its probably best to get a full stainless system built. You get the added bonus of a life time guarantee. Either that or take the corsa one and modify it to fit. That is one of the many problem areas. Changing the exhaust may loose you power

To get it to fit and working you will have all the following problems to over come:
  • Mounting the engine and gearbox
  • Sorting out a useable gearbox
  • building up drive shafts
  • wiring
  • controlling the engine from the accelerator pedal
  • clutch linkage
  • gearshift linkage
  • finding a radiator that is big enough to cope but able to fit
  • body work modifications
  • making the exhaust and inlet manifolds fit
  • Fitting an inter cooler somewhere
  • exhaust system to build
  • possible relocation of the master cylinders
  • Alternator fit ment
  • A load of other things I have probably missed.
If you have never done an engine swap I would suggest doing a tried and tested one first. A red top conversion will give you 150 bhp. Throttle bodies and aftermarket ECU will give you more.

I had done other engine swaps before I attempted the Vauxhall conversion on my mini. I've not seen an x18xe1 powered mini on the road but the engine isn't too dissimilar to the the x16xe.

You also need to remember that a mini is almost 600 kg lighter than a Corsa VXR. 100 bhp will make a mini shift. You probably won't need 189 bhp like the Corsa VXR has straight away. With that kind of power you will probably need to start looking at upgrading other parts to be able to cope with the power. A mini was only ever really intended for about 65 bhp. There have been models with more but the mini was always intended to just be a normal small family car.

#12 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Alright then bud. Yep, wouldn't be easy, or cheap. Like I said, it would be a risk building a conversion like this. I may consider redtop. At least it's been done. It's my mk1 mini money so still don't know to be honest. I've already read loads on both vaux and honda conversions, prefer vaux though

#13 hoody99

hoody99

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Why bother with a corsa Vxr when you could get a z20let and its cable throttle if I remember right basically a turbo red top better than the corsa Vxr in my opinion would defo fit an alspeed frame as its the same mounts for most 16v vauxhall engines worth looking into as you coul pick up an Astra Gsi or zafira gsi or even an Astra coupe turbo there basically all a newer version of a red top turbo

#14 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Z20let is a big block vauxhall engine so it will be an even tighter squeeze than the Corsa VXR engine. The engine mounts are different between the small block and big block engines. The gearboxes are also different. Everything up to a 1.8 in the vauxhall range is physically smaller in size.

You are right that they are basically a newer version of the C20let engine (redtop turbo). A redtop engine is difficult enough to fit into a standard round nose let alone with a turbo, intercooler and other parts. I would doubt that you could use the standard inlet manifold as well. if you start cutting the manifold up then the power the engine makes will change. So will the torque curves.

I would go with an x16xe on throttle bodies myself.

#15 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'm going c20xe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users