• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

And so it begins....

I bought this:
Posted Image

And 4 hours and a lot of knuckle skin later:

Posted Image

So the plan is to wedge in a nice Honda VTR1000 FireStorm engine :-)

Im going to do the build on a standard (modified) front subframe and hopefully drop is directly in, shouldn't require any body-modding (if anything a hole in the bulkhead to clear the diff)

#2 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

wow, that looks like an awesome project. Good luck with it!

#3 AndrewMini

AndrewMini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

That looks like it'll fly! All you need now's the wings ;)

#4 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Now this is very interesting... I have been thinking about using the carbs off of this bike as I think they have 48mm chokes.. Which is massive for bike carbs. But the installation angle seems to aggressive to mount them on an aseries. Can you shed any light on the float bowl setup please?

Thanks
Graham

#5 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Now this is very interesting... I have been thinking about using the carbs off of this bike as I think they have 48mm chokes.. Which is massive for bike carbs. But the installation angle seems to aggressive to mount them on an aseries. Can you shed any light on the float bowl setup please?

Thanks
Graham

Yes they are the largest honda ever fitted to a bike apparently!

However i have not had them apart (and the bike was fully functional before the stripdown) so i dont have any intention to either.

The float bowls look to be rather small and located in the lower part of the carb (facing each other) inside the V.

#6 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

What's the plan fwd or rwd? Chain, transfer box? Spill the beans

Cheers
David

#7 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

What's the plan fwd or rwd? Chain, transfer box? Spill the beans

Cheers
David

(spilling)

(i want to keep the actual mini so i can reverse the mod if needed)

FWD, via a strategically aligned LSD just behind the engine :-)

Annoyingly i cant find a suitably small diff so there will be a chain involved, but not were you expect................ ;-)

#8 craigr91

craigr91

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Local Club: nwminiclub

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

keep an eye on this one, was looking at a motorbike vtwin mysel' or a 1200 bandit, back to my bike times but best of both worlds :)

how will the reverse be done? easy mod or pain in the backside?

cheers :)

#9 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

fitting this will be a nightmare but good luck

#10 Chris79

Chris79

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: Not aware of any round here

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

I have an SV1000 sitting in my garage and was considering doing something similar.

The only downside i could see is the fact that neither the VTR or the SV are particularly powerful or torquey. On the bike yes, but with an additional 500kg? i'm not so sure.

Approx 110bhp and 75 ftlb torque in either case.

Will be watching with interest

E2A, could be the greatest sounding mini ever with the right pipes

Edited by Chris79, 19 September 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#11 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Chris - agreed its not got epic power basically the same torque as an early 2000's R1, and a bit less BHP (out of the box) - however with a light fettling will easily deliver over double the power of the standard mini lump, plus the gearing im going to use is around 3.5:1 (diff) as opposed to the 2.5:1 of the standard chain drive. and it has similar torque to the a-series too.

yes... it will sound completely epic :-) one of my main reasons for going down the high revving V2 route, along with Honda reliability.

The current mini engine is on its last legs, so this seems like the right time to do it.

Edited by darkcat, 20 September 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#12 Chris79

Chris79

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: Not aware of any round here

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

Got me looking round for an SP1 now, 130bhp and the clocks would look great too

#13 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

Hehe! im fairly happy with the 2 HUGE carbs... :-) - the bike was cheap, ive nearly got my money back by breaking the rest of the bike already!

I started playing yesterday afternoon: (my new TIG welder and gas arrived)
Its a bloody big lump of metal... there is NO WAY to mount it longitudinal (as in the bike) because the crank case is fully in the way of where i'd need a diff to be.

The only option is to jam it in right at the front of the engine bay, sideways (Morgan style :-D )
then attach a driveshaft to the output sprocket, back behind a cosworth front diff, then have a sprocket on the end of the shaft, and the diff input, connected with a chain...

Hmm.... i hate the idea of having a chain in the system... any bright ideas????

------------
The electrics will be interesting.

Im fairly set on the idea of completely ripping out the CRAP mini electrics and transplanting in the bike loom, with extensions for the indicators etc. i think the only complication will be the reverse light and fuel pump (which i'll need to think about, as its an SPI car)

Edited by darkcat, 23 September 2012 - 07:26 AM.

#14 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

are you going to keep inner wings and round nose

#15 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Hehe! im fairly happy with the 2 HUGE carbs... :-) - the bike was cheap, ive nearly got my money back by breaking the rest of the bike already!

I started playing yesterday afternoon: (my new TIG welder and gas arrived)
Its a bloody big lump of metal... there is NO WAY to mount it longitudinal (as in the bike) because the crank case is fully in the way of where i'd need a diff to be.

The only option is to jam it in right at the front of the engine bay, sideways (Morgan style :-D )
then attach a driveshaft to the output sprocket, back behind a cosworth front diff, then have a sprocket on the end of the shaft, and the diff input, connected with a chain...

Hmm.... i hate the idea of having a chain in the system... any bright ideas????

Well as a person myself who tried many different bike engines in the front of a mini in every orientation possible you can now see it not as easy as it looks, fitting the smaller bike engines in is the easy bit, the really differcult bit is squeezing the diff unit and drive system in there as well.

Your idea with the driveshaft may not work as when you mount the engine you will see you will only have a few inches of space left and the diff is about 14"~15" long in total so the driveshafts will actually be closer to the front panel than the bulkhead, the chain will also be extremely short and the engine will sit far to high, unless I have misunderstood your description.

What I have seen along a similiar idea is have the engine with the sprocket facing forward then chain drive a convential rear diff that has been turned upside down (I think) to reverse the drive to correct direction, there use to be more detailed pictures of the diff area but you should be able to work it out

http://www.locostbui...d.php?tid=20350

Although the lancia is a small car the engine bay is a lot bigger than a mini, so I don't see this working in a mini engine bay either, but it may give a few ideas to throw around

Cheers
David

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users