907 replies to this topic

#46 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Possibly the daftest question this month, but if I'm reading this right, was this rally pre-plot? I was under the impression that all road rallies now were plot & bash? Much more fun if they still allow pre-plotting!

Congratulations on your awards, that's a brilliant result first time out!

Keith

#47 Rob Jones

Rob Jones

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Local Club: North Wales Car Club

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Hi Keith, all road events in Wales are pre-plot, usually 2 hours (just like the good old days) and the majority of events in Derbyshire, Stafford, etc are plot 'n' bash with some pre-plot on the easy sections!
I can only comment of events in Wales and the ANWCC area, so dont know about the rest of the country.

#48 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

Gonna echo what Rob Jones says above really. The events that i intend to have a go at are all ANWCC events and are North West based but all seem to be pre plot.

Keith - I'm sure you could get your clubby prepped for a road rally or two??? There was another one on the rally we just did and was very well prepped....felt a bit guilty beating it to be honest!!! especially as they had experience and we had none!

#49 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

You still looking for the twin HS4s?
Theres a pair in the classified..

#50 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

You still looking for the twin HS4s?
Theres a pair in the classified..

cheers, Yeh i have seen them but they are too expensive in my eyes.

#51 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

Got some 'action shots' from the rally so figured i'd share them with you....still need to update photo's and info from pre rally prep so kinda doing things back to front (as always)!!!!

First photo was early on....as can be seen from the fact the car still looks clean. The second photo is later on but we still hadn't gone through the worst (muddiest) bit at this point!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by rally1380, 25 October 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#52 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club, CMC.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

nice shots!!

we did a 12 car last friday, mud and puddles everywhere and at some point there was a river coming down the road... great fun!
we only came 9th :shy: http://chelmsfordmc....n12_Results.pdf

in a couple of weeks we're having a go at our first gymkhana, well not a gymkhana anymore but a prototype of the new for 2013 Targa Rallies...
Regs here: http://chelmsfordmc....arga12_Regs.pdf

#53 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

nice shots!!

we did a 12 car last friday, mud and puddles everywhere and at some point there was a river coming down the road... great fun!
we only came 9th :shy: http://chelmsfordmc....n12_Results.pdf

in a couple of weeks we're having a go at our first gymkhana, well not a gymkhana anymore but a prototype of the new for 2013 Targa Rallies...
Regs here: http://chelmsfordmc....arga12_Regs.pdf

You might have come 9th, but you certainly win the 'best name' award!!!

The targa sounds good.....shame its so far away for me....would be fun!

#54 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Nice pics, havent seen ours yet

#55 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Finally finding time to update the prep I did pre rally....nowt like doing things back to front!!!

Firstly i fitted a couple of reversing lights.....during the scatter rally i did earlier in the year i needed to turn around in a narrow lane and couldn't see anything without reverse lights so decided i needed something to light the rear up.

Being an early clubman and not having reverse lights in the clusters (and as i prefer the look of mk 2 clusters) I decided to fit an external one. Bought a cheap square Hella one from Demon Tweeks for about £4 i think but didn't like the way it looked on the back of the car. Then after a rumage through one of many 'spares' boxes i seem to have aquired i found these and quite like the look of them....

Posted Image

They are switched from an illuminated fog light switch on the dash just to the right of the speedo cluster (again a 'spares' box find). Would have wired it into the loom via the linkage switch but the loom has been chopped (its a later loom) at some point!

Next up.....Harness bar.

Went to my local metal supplier and got some 1 1/2" cds tube and with some left over 3mm plate (from roll cage spreader plates) i made this.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now i know alot of people mount their harnesses lower down and making a harness bar like this does seem like alot of effort but i think it is better to mount harnesses higher up more in line with your shoulders (MSA regs agree) so a little bit of fabrication was the order of the day. Also didn't like the price of safety devices harness bar!!!! This was made for less than £50 all in (tubing, plates, paint, gas etc etc).

Posted Image

And the unused reverse light eventually found a home in the project after all.....

Posted Image

After a bit of advice from minisi35 (cheers) a maplight was fitted that is switched from a toggle switch on the drivers side. This allows me to switch the light on as we aproach controls as the Nav finds the time card....worked really well and far cheaper than proper maplights!!!! plus its a normal bulb and the same as ones we carry in our bulb kit.

Thats it for now as budget constraints mean the project progress is slow! SOMEONE BUY MY WHEELS!!!!!!!

#56 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Finally finding time to update the prep I did pre rally....nowt like doing things back to front!!!

Firstly i fitted a couple of reversing lights.....during the scatter rally i did earlier in the year i needed to turn around in a narrow lane and couldn't see anything without reverse lights so decided i needed something to light the rear up.

Being an early clubman and not having reverse lights in the clusters (and as i prefer the look of mk 2 clusters) I decided to fit an external one. Bought a cheap square Hella one from Demon Tweeks for about £4 i think but didn't like the way it looked on the back of the car. Then after a rumage through one of many 'spares' boxes i seem to have aquired i found these and quite like the look of them....

Posted Image

They are switched from an illuminated fog light switch on the dash just to the right of the speedo cluster (again a 'spares' box find). Would have wired it into the loom via the linkage switch but the loom has been chopped (its a later loom) at some point!

Next up.....Harness bar.

Went to my local metal supplier and got some 1 1/2" cds tube and with some left over 3mm plate (from roll cage spreader plates) i made this.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now i know alot of people mount their harnesses lower down and making a harness bar like this does seem like alot of effort but i think it is better to mount harnesses higher up more in line with your shoulders (MSA regs agree) so a little bit of fabrication was the order of the day. Also didn't like the price of safety devices harness bar!!!! This was made for less than £50 all in (tubing, plates, paint, gas etc etc).

Posted Image

And the unused reverse light eventually found a home in the project after all.....

Posted Image

After a bit of advice from minisi35 (cheers) a maplight was fitted that is switched from a toggle switch on the drivers side. This allows me to switch the light on as we aproach controls as the Nav finds the time card....worked really well and far cheaper than proper maplights!!!! plus its a normal bulb and the same as ones we carry in our bulb kit.

Thats it for now as budget constraints mean the project progress is slow! SOMEONE BUY MY WHEELS!!!!!!!

glad to help :highfive:

#57 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Ok so had a small sabatical from updates as i've not been up to much due to budget constraints......AKA I'M SKINT!!!!!!

Managed to cook my brakes on a recent 'shake down' in local lanes (fluid already changed for high temp racing spec so pads are next on the list) and found a bargain on here for a suitable upgrade........ And anything that states they must not be used on Public highways has got to be goooooood!!!!!

Posted Image

Have been contemplating which tyres to use on road rallies and keep changing my mind. Most cars run forestry tyres, but they are a little thin on choice for 10 or 12 inch wheels. Luckily, Ebay threw a bargain my way so will give these a whirl and see how i get on....also like the steelies!!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Think the tread looks useful, so will see how i get on.

Also picked up some cheap as chips twin HS4 carbs, so going to dust off the blast cabinet and get cracking on refurbing them....maybe father christmas will bring me a maniflow manifold for them???

Events already planned for early 2013, so plenty of updates to come.

#58 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Not an update as such but a shot of my father rallying back in the day! And show's that rallying is certainly in my blood....in fact until recently my hair was the same!

Hair + mustache = 70's. The Rally was run by Clwyd Vale MC and he seems to think it might have been called the Station Motor's rally (not 100% sure though) and this shot was taken at a ford near to 'World's End' near Llangollen in North Wales. It is a superb road that twists its way over from Minera to Trefor with various "oh SH*T" corners, yumps and drops!!! They still use it today, and i marshalled about 2 miles down the road from here on the Bryniau Clwyd rally a few weeks back.

The car, was bought (1971/72) brand new for £622 (think it was a 850) and suitably modified for rallying. The front arches are steel and edged with solid round bar and could be used to man handle the car back onto the road (not flimsy GRP then!), front wheels are 12" imp steelies with 10's out the back, the engine (1380) is the exact same one as in my clubman - although not same spec anymore as bits have been sold off or lost in the last 40 years! Debumpered at the front (probably after a crash on a previous event!) and liberal coats of red oxide applied to contrast the factory Teal Blue. Oh and a monster steel sumpguard because Alloy was too expensive!

Posted Image

#59 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Mintex M1144 pads now bedded in.

Not had a good stamp on them whilst hot yet but the general bite feels good. They do squeal though which i reckon will get annoying so will need to solve that problem. Other than that, i think they will be up to the job, even if calver's website seems to not like them...i reckon he's sponsored by EBC!

#60 brad-the-bear

brad-the-bear

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

PM'd

Edited by brad-the-bear, 16 December 2012 - 04:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users