thought mine was bad at £95

#17 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

As cooperman said they really wont like the unemployed bit, are you not in education at all? Again try Aviva as well, once Footman James packed up there insurance for young drivers they were by far the cheapest!

#18 jmmini

jmmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Fully comp seems cheaper for me, have a try. And that is a ridiculous quote, I'm 17 and insured for 890 pound with the parents as main drivers (both 9years ncb) that's with Lancaster classic car insurance, give an ask and proof of club eg here and they MIGHT accept you as your under 21.

#19 Twisty

Twisty

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

why would the unemployment part jack up the insurance levels that much as you will not be traveling in peak times, and using the car less (i would have thought) due to being on limited funds.

Insurance companies make me evil they are modern day highway men, they know we all have no choice but to swallow it. then try and screw you when you make a claim

good luck with getting the quote down i recon you should be budgeting about 2k for the insurance.

Getting old does have benefits.

#20 shaun617

shaun617

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

Ive just got insured on my mini for the first time and got it for £985 and im 18, got that through compare the market. Thats me as the named driver and with my mum and dad on

#21 SA MINI

SA MINI

Previously known as shaunarmes.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Local Club: yet to join HAMOC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

I was in the same boat as you I couldn't get insured on my 998 for less than 2 grand with clean licence. Because I am unemployed due to Being disabled. My other car was a 1.4 Mercedes a class but recently changed to a focus diesel new shape. That policy.(Cheapest quote)
£3,500 :0 rediculous. What's even more rediculous is now I have 5 and a half grands worth of insurance with both the focus & mini
My dad has 3 cars insured all for under £500.
Quite annoying to say the least.
In the insurers eyes they think because you are unemployed you will be driving around all day long do more likely to crash.
Also because unemployed you'd need money so a faulse claim would be on your mind to get some.
I think it's outrageous.

Edited by SA MINI, 17 September 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#22 miniyellowmini

miniyellowmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

If trying Aviva (or other insurance companies for that matter), compare the quote they give you on the phone with one thorough a cashback site to see if it's worth getting the cashback too. Top Cashback are currently offering £80.80 for a valid Aviva policy.

http://www.topcashba..._car_insurance/

#23 miniyellowmini

miniyellowmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

why would the unemployment part jack up the insurance levels that much as you will not be traveling in peak times, and using the car less (i would have thought) due to being on limited funds.

Insurance companies make me evil they are modern day highway men, they know we all have no choice but to swallow it. then try and screw you when you make a claim

good luck with getting the quote down i recon you should be budgeting about 2k for the insurance.

It's all about risk and unfortunatly it is widely considered by the insurance industry that the unemployed will use their cars more travelling to lots of locations to seek work, possibly down unfamilier roads looking for job interview addresses etc... Also they are less likely to maintain thier cars to a high standard due to limited funds.

#24 Stella87

Stella87

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

That's ridiculous mate...I'm insured (passed my test 2 weeks ago) for £1600 which I thought wasnt too bad, despite being ALOT of money!

Anyway I checked all the "independant" insurers (direct line etc..) as well as classic car insurance. Direct line and the rest were no where near competetive, and neither were the classic car specific policies..most of the classic car insurers wouldnt even give me a quote because I'm only 17 anyway! I also looked at the "young driver" schemes - all a rip off as well. I looked into the tracker box policies that monitor your driving, but none of them would install one because they use the engine management system (which Austin didnt install in 1987) After days and days wasted, the cheapest quote was off confused.com with loyds tsb...so I dont agree at all with the peeps saying that comparison websites are overpriced..keep looking, should find something acceptable :)

#25 a_woolhouse

a_woolhouse

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

the 'unemployed' bit isn't good but when you can't rea;;y get a job these days what you sposed to do, i got insured on my mini for £645 with adrian flux (kinda wish i hadn't gone with them but wanted agreed valuation, i'm 20 and it's my 3rd car) only problem with someone like aviva or admiral is you don't get agreed valuation which sucks! :(

Good luck with finding someone though

#26 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

Ask about a classic policy with footman james and see what you get. I was insured when I was 17, all mods declared as a student and it was under £800

#27 Stella87

Stella87

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

Ask about a classic policy with footman james and see what you get. I was insured when I was 17, all mods declared as a student and it was under £800

Called them up a while ago. They've stopped insuring under 21's on their classic car insurance...

#28 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

I know people who have got classic policies with them and are under 21. It says on the website no under 21's but thats just got online quotes, they'll do it over the phone.

Don't know when that changed.

#29 konyo

konyo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Freakz of Sussex

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

I know people who have got classic policies with them and are under 21. It says on the website no under 21's but thats just got online quotes, they'll do it over the phone.

They dont do it over the phone neither, i was with them and asked about carrying on when i had to renew but they said no. Maybe it depends on who you talk to at Footman James.

Edited by konyo, 20 September 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#30 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

They dont do it over the phone neither, i was with them and asked about carrying on when i had to renew but they said no. Maybe it depends on who you talk to at Footman James.

Footman used to only proved online quotes through their website for over 21's, but would still provide them to under 21's if you called direct for a quote.Then earlier this year, equity red star (the underwriter Footman used for most classic policies) stopped providing cover for under 21's, so if you were a young driver and your policy with them lapsed they were unable to renew it. I understand that they have now sourced a new underwriter for under 21's, so you can get cover through them again now, but their premiums with the new underwriter are nowhere near as low as they were with equity red star. :(

Edited by AVV IT, 20 September 2012 - 09:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users