16 replies to this topic

#1 Vulcan

Vulcan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

So, I've noticed that the front suspension has bottomed out and looks like it's on it's bump stops. From the research I've done on the forum it looks like the front cones have collapsed. So, I've bagged a 34mm socket, hunting down a haynes manual and looking out for a compression tool.

I'm thinking start with the cones first and while the car's in the air inspect the knuckles and shocks too? Hopefully it'll just be the cones causing trouble, but is there anything else I need to look at or definitely replace while I'm at it?

I'm not doing anything performance related, I'm keeping the car completely standard. Also, for the moment at least, I'm on a shoestring. I've got a '78 Civic which is going in for a full respray, so that's gonna hurt!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 minimissionary

minimissionary

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

While you're at it, I'd definitely recommend replacing the knuckles, or at least the nylon cup they sit in, and give the rubber boot a good wash and put some new grease in.
Hilos are useful for adjusting the ride heigh while the cones are still settling. Minispares do a budget set that are of good quality, or get the proper ones if you can stretch to it.
Budget for a top arm recon, just in case. They're worth close inspection upon removal, as you'll have to do half the job to get them out again in the future!
Lower bump stops will have taken a bit of a bashing, and aren't expensive or difficult to replace, so you might as well chuck some new ones on.
Shocks can be removed/replaced easily without moving anything else, so leave these for when you have a bit more money (unless, of course, they're completely shagged).

Grease the hell out of anything metal on metal!

#3 Vulcan

Vulcan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

Right, I'll bag the compressor and cones as I know I need them anyway. I'll jack the front end and check everything on the list. Fingers crossed everything will check out!

#4 minimissionary

minimissionary

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

The knuckle cups are pence. Definitely worth adding to the list!
Part number is 21A423MS on Minispares.

Edited by minimissionary, 18 September 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#5 Vulcan

Vulcan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

I've just seen! 80-odd pence each! Woah!

What do I need to look out for on those top arms? I've been looking through the forums for tips but coming up short.

Edited by Vulcan, 18 September 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#6 minimissionary

minimissionary

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

Crazy eh? The VAT only makes the situation worse! Bastards!

On a serious note, they're a pig to get out of the top arm. I recommend gently pushing it away from the seat with a thin screwdriver, then get some needle-nose pliers and twist the hell out of it!

#7 Vulcan

Vulcan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

I feel like a kid in a bloody sweetshop! I'm not used to being able to just get stuff off the shelf like this. I think I need to sit down..........

#8 CMXCVIII

CMXCVIII

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

I feel like a kid in a bloody sweetshop! I'm not used to being able to just get stuff off the shelf like this. I think I need to sit down..........

Silly cheap, old fashioned parts prices [admittedly for silly and cheap and old fashioned parts] are one of the real joys of Mini ownership! :proud:

#9 CMXCVIII

CMXCVIII

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

Silly cheap, old fashioned parts prices [admittedly for silly and cheap and old fashioned parts] are one of the real joys of Mini ownership! :proud:

#10 minimissionary

minimissionary

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

And so, the Mini bug sinks it's jaws deeper into the heart of another owner :shifty:

#11 Vulcan

Vulcan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Since my newly-won ebay haynes manual probably hasn't even been posted as yet, I've been furtling round on the internets to check out the knuckle/ cup situation to try to steal a march on the job. Needless to say, I've got a bit of a daft question.

If my understanding is correct, the bottom of the front trumpet terminates in the knuckle, which sits in the nylon cup at the proximal end of the upper arm? The whole kit & kaboodle is then greased and booted?

#12 minimissionary

minimissionary

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

Yep. A good dose of grease between knuckle and trumpet is a good thing. They've a bugger of seizing. Also, don't go nuts with the grease on the knuckles, as it can push the boot off the cup when it's got weight on it.

#13 Vulcan

Vulcan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

Cheers matey!

#14 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

to get the cup out of the arm: melt it with a blow torch... soon pops out!

#15 Vulcan

Vulcan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

Cones, cups and gaiters have been ordered. The MOT seems just a tad more likely!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users