#31 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

I AM A SPOTTER (TMF LOGO SPOTTER)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:14 AM

I've been tempted to put axle stands underneath but wasn't sure if there's some clause preventing me doing so.

#32 CMXCVIII

CMXCVIII

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

My suggestion would be to forget all the aggressive nonsense about breeze blocks or suing for damage to the car.

You're bang to rights and you're in trouble.

There's no free way out of this, but if you explain the whole sad story to the authorities, in the way that you have here, and seek their help and advice, you might, just might, find someone sympathetic who's having a good day and you might be given some leeway on some part of the charges and fines or some time to pay them off.

#33 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

That's very good advice

#34 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Can I just point out that my ideas of putting breeze blocks under the car and a clamp on were intended as stupid suggestions. I wouldn't try them with the DVLA. It didn't come across very well.

You case is a legal case as it is with the DVLA not a civil case as it could be with a privately owned car park. You've been clamped as you have broken the law not a contract. If you try and prevent the DVLA from taking your car you will just end up committing more offences.

I would still take photos of your car just incase though. Do you not have the option to sign your mini over as payment? It will mean it gets crushed. If the cost is going to keep on mounting it may be worth it and just go and buy another mini when you can afford it. It will save you the repair bill as well.

#35 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

Well it's been taken away... to Reading. Bloody hell.

Looks like my first car - a 1979 Austin/Morris Mini 1000 which I've had for 2 years - 2 weeks after my birthday is going to get crushed. I not long got off the phone to the DVLA and if I was to collect it tomorrow, it would cost me £406. Plus the cost of a trailer and somewhere to put it. If I had that kind of money, it would have already been at Minispeed getting MOT repair work done. So I'll have to sign it over to them.

I need to get my possessions from it somehow. Doubt the impound is open on Saturdays.

It's so annoying. The Gov't would've had their money next month and even more money from me over time due to fuel tax and VAT on parts.

Anyone want a front drum brake assembly - brand new - from Minisport? That was going to go on the car next week...

Edited by Mini Cheddars, 26 September 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#36 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

It's a pity you can't find someone who would give you say £500 for it so it doesn't get crushed!

#37 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

Heh yeah that would be nice! I'm still bitter about the terrible timing of this saga in my life. Terrible knowing a Mini is on death row.

RIP Charlie.

I just insured it last Saturday. Wonder if I can cancel and claim my deposit back... To their website!

#38 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

£45 admin fee + time spent insured. Eep.

This month sucks...

Edited by Mini Cheddars, 26 September 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#39 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

It's a pity you can't find someone who would give you say £500 for it so it doesn't get crushed!

Thats a reasonable suggestion and atleast would save it from getting crushed.

But there must be another way round so you can keep it ? Pay day lending is evil, but overdrafts can be ok if used correctly.

£400 isn't *that* much money in the scheme of things - don't give up!

#40 brad-the-bear

brad-the-bear

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

don't get it crushed pal use a credit card to pay the fees then sell it on here or ebay to get your money back and a little more for yourself. such a waste to crush a 1979 mini 1000!!!!!!!!!

#41 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

you only get two weeks to get it taxed or you lose the surety on it.

#42 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Any updates on this?

#43 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

They will want the money for the fine, transport and storage even if the car is crushed, they will still pursue you for the money unfortunately

David

#44 Wakey-Dan

Wakey-Dan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Local Club: Leeds Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

I almost felt sorry for you in the first 2 pages but after seeing how easily your gonna let it get crushed i have no sympathy.

People have managed to keep it on the road for over 30 years now youv'e given up on it so easily.

Its worth the 4-500 quid in parts. Just man up, do the right thing and buy it out. Whether you strip it down and sell the parts to make your money back and then sell the shell with log book etc for someone else to sort out or pay the fine and put it back on the road yourself, just do the right thing. Just sounds like your full of excuses to me. Leaving it in the pound is your least financially viable option.

#45 Wakey-Dan

Wakey-Dan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Local Club: Leeds Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

They will want the money for the fine, transport and storage even if the car is crushed, they will still pursue you for the money unfortunately

+ 1

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users