#1 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

Afternoon peeps,

I was hoping to start my Volvo for the first time this weekend, but alas yet another problem has popped up and I’ve no idea what to do!

Basically I could do with a BIG favour from anybody running a Volvo engine Z and the DTA ecu. Can you please have a look and see if your cam position sensor is plugged in? I believe it should be Pin 19 on the ecu, but the sensor on mine (3 pin yellow connector coming from one of the cams) is just coiled up and not being used!

I need to know if this is correct as i though the engine needed this input to allow a spark.

I've checked the z-cars wiring and everything else seems ok, I have 12v at the coils just no spark when I crank her over

Any help gratefully received

Cheers
Kev

#2 2000lukey

2000lukey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

Quite sure it's not used, not the MAF sensor either. Double check with Simon at z's, I did speak to him about it a while back and he deff said not used to me. My loom is in a box as the car is not in one piece at the moment, but I have already blanked off the cam sensor on my engine. Was your DTA set with a base map? Luke.

#3 2000lukey

2000lukey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

www.dtaforum.com
Try a search about it on here! I might be wrong but I was told the DTA s40 did not take cam sensor as a input. Luke

#4 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

I've had a look on there and have been checking the wiring against their schematics which is where they show a cam sensor input and how it's wired. Would ideally like to know whether a running Volvo z-car has that input as if they don't I'm completely stuck as to why mine won't start!

Thanks for the link though.

#5 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Didn't notice your first reply! The car has been mapped and running (aparently) so really not sure why its not starting now, I've followed the wiring instructions provided by z-cars but that's pretty much just power and the starter wiring, all the ecu wiring is already pinned up and done.

#6 2000lukey

2000lukey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Did you get a coms lead with you DTA ecu? Just wondered if you could plug it in and check items that way?

#7 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

Didn't get any cables with it. I'm pretty sure my speedo lead is the same though so might try that! I've sent dta an email so waiting to hear what they say. I'll contact z-cars once I get a reply; hoping that might be informative!

#8 2000lukey

2000lukey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Would be interested to hear what you find. Have you done a build diary for this?

#9 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

I have but I've not updated it in ages! I'm crap at remembering to take pictures lol. Will keep this updated for ref though. Cheers for the input

#10 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Luke, as mentioned by yourself, the cam sensor is not used on the S40! I was sort of hoping it was required as I'm now totally baffled, let's see what Z-cars say and hope it's something simple like an earth missing!!

#11 2000lukey

2000lukey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

If you need me to check anything on my loom just let me know, in the middle of moving into my new house and redoing poor workmanship! But I will be back at workshop Wednesday. Cheers.

#12 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

I don't have a lead that'll fit as its serial to VGA, doh! So just purchased one of those. Hopefully it'll be here in a couple of days so I can plug in and diagnose the problem/s!

If that's not helping I may draw a little picture and get you to cross reference it with yours; again I'm hoping it will give me a simple answer and fix to the problem!

Thanks again though

#13 2000lukey

2000lukey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

http://www.dtafast.c...loads_Index.htm

Just found this link in my emails, but I guess you may have got this anyway?

#14 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Been on there to download the software to my lappy. I thought it was all quite vague really though with ref to wiring instructions!

Thankfully the old lap top still fired up as the new one only has USB ports and yet to use a USB to serial adaptor that actually works!

#15 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

A small update. My serial lead finally turned up on Friday so I quickly plugged it into the laptop to see what was or wasn't happening... unfortunately as the laptop hadn't been used for a while (4 years lol) it needed to do a small update, 70 updates later it was ready, but as I was going out I didn't have time to check it out.

Anyway, just plugged her all in and I have a fail against both the oil and fuel pressure sensors, but as I don't have them connected it's no surprise; should be pins 23 and 33 on the ecu.

I've had a quick flick through the manual and it looks as though these are new inputs required by the ecu and that the engine will not start (no spark) unless set parameters are met, 3 bar fuel pressure being one by the looks of it.

I think a quick email to z-cars is required now as I need to know how they got around this for mapping, unless of course there is another issue i've not discovered yet!

Stay tuned...

Update.... No rpm signal either................ and the above shouldn't stop it from starting Hmmmmmmm

Edited by RED HOT, 06 October 2012 - 05:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users