#1 liam-ds

liam-ds

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Local Club: Barnsley mini club

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hi everyone, i have recently collected my next project after the clubby is done, it is a mk1 Austin mini 850, after doing a little searching using the vin number i have narrowed down the model to being a mini super. some time during its life many original parts have been removed and swapped with later parts e.g it has a full mk1 tartan red interior, mk3 steering column and a later style centre binnacle pod. i have been reading up about the mini super's they are supposed to have the same interior as the early coopers after looking inside mine the roof lining, rear pillar covers and sun visors appear to be same as the cooper items. has anyone got any photos of a genuine super interior? i believe that the car is a genuine super but was just wondering if there is any other way to tell a super apart?

Many thanks Liam

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

The Mini Cooper Register now has a dedicted Register for the rare Mini Super (which was a Cooper in all but engine and brakes). You could try asking on the forum there or emailing Gary Dickens below who runs the Super Register who is an expert on their identification and spec:
http://www.minicoope..._mini_super.htm

Mini Super Register
Posted ImageThe Mini Super was launched with the Mini Cooper in September 1961. However, production of the model started on the 7th June, a month before the Cooper. In some early BMC publicity material both the Super and Cooper were introduced as “Twins”, with the Cooper being described as the “Sports-car version of the Super”.
Introduced as “Austin Super Seven” and “Morris Super Mini-Minor”, They became “Austin Super Mini” and “Morris Super Mini” in January 1962. Generally they are now referred to simply as “Mini Super”
The Super was pure Cooper, both inside and out but mechanically equipped with standard 848cc engine, gearbox and braking system. Inside it had a standard gear lever but chromium plated and a black-faced 90mph speedometer. Outside the Super had a standard Austin or Morris grille which was embellished with extra chrome bars, and standard mini badging.
The Super was deleted after a very short production run, together with the Mini De Luxe, in October 1962, although a few were built for export in November.
The Super De Luxe which followed in October 1962 was really a De Luxe with a few Super/Cooper embellishments.
The Super is now believed to be the rarest of Mk1 Minis.

To contact Garry Dickens the Mini Super Registrar email

Edited by mab01uk, 04 October 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#3 liam-ds

liam-ds

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

thank you. ill register on the mini cooper register and ill email to see what other features it should have. the green one above appers to have the same grill as mine, it is the same colour too.

forget that the grill on mine is the same sort used on the mini minors. that will be another part missing if mine is a austin mini super

Liam

Edited by liam-ds, 05 October 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#4 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

What year is your car? Supers were only available for a couple of years before being replaced by the Super Delux.

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

There is a very detailed write up on the exact spec of the Mini Super by Gary Dickens in this months (Oct 2012) excellent MCR magazine 'CooperWorld.'

http://www.minicoope...zine_in_the.htm

http://www.minicoope...es/magazine.htm

Currently back copies of CooperWorld for 2012 and and 2011 to order online. Back copies are priced at £3.50 inc p&p.

Edited by mab01uk, 05 October 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#6 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

Let's see some photos :-)

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Posted Image

"An incredibly rare brochure. During the very short production life of the ill fated "Super", the designation of our favourite little cars changed from the Morris Mini Minor & the Austin Seven to the Austin & Morris Mini. Not only were these cars not popular when new, but their rarity has been vastly increased by the fact that they were so easy to convert into a Cooper. In the past 40 years almost every one of these cars has been Cooper-ised, making a genuine Super a very rare beast indeed!"
http://mk1-performan...i_brochures.htm

Note the special grille with vertical bars and the Cooper chrome trim around the door window frames. The Super pre-dated the launch of the Cooper.
My brother owned one of these in the late 1960's in tartan red with black roof........and guess what he converted it into a Cooper! :lol:

Edited by mab01uk, 05 October 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#8 liam-ds

liam-ds

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

hi everyone, the car was registered in april 1962, many of the parts where made in march 1962 the wiper motor is dated the 10th week of 1962 making it early to mid march

heres a few pics

when we first got it home

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

why do i always look like a plonker in pics haha

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

now if this is a super this is the only original bit of the interior

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

after a wash to get the chicken poo off

Posted Image

original 850 came with car missing the magic wand though

Posted Image

Posted Image

i know if this is a super that a lot of the original and rare parts are missing the gill firstly

Liam

Edited by liam-ds, 05 October 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#9 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

nice find............... :proud:

#10 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

That's an early shell because it has the high seat belt mounts on the pillars, and it's got the full front vallance.
If it's a Super then the doors have been replaced at some point because they should have the stainless trim around the windows. Also it should have the chromed window catches.
Those front seats look like Morris Minor seats to me. The clocks and binnicle are Mk2. The car should have a three clock binnicle, but the earlier type with the metal support bracket and the gauges should have the peaked type rims.

Here's an Austin Super in Surf Blue with OEW roof. This car has a powder blue and brocade interior as per the Surf Blue Coopers of the same age. Note the grille is wavey but with the verticle bars.

Posted Image

This is and OEW with black roof Morris. If you look closely you can see the red and brocade interior.

Posted Image

I'd send the chassis number to the Heritage Centre and get a Heritage Certificate. That will tell you what the car is, the colour and the trim.

Edited by surfblue63, 05 October 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#11 miniman3003

miniman3003

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

The Heritage Certificates seem to be very expensive these days at £40, £50 and £60 or more depending on whether you want Engine/Body Numbers or not. I remember the days when these Certificates were just £3 :( but that was a long time ago!

In Chris Rees Complete Classic Mini 1959 - 2000 book, he states that production of the Super began in June 1961 at Chassis No. AA2S7S 125538 and ended in October 1962 at 307125. So if your car is between those Chassis Nos. and with a Prefix of AA2S7S, then it looks as if it is a Super. They are very rare and not many survive in original condition. I wish you well in restoring this car to its former glory!

Edited by miniman3003, 06 October 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#12 liam-ds

liam-ds

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

The Heritage Certificates seem to be very expensive these days at £40, £50 and £60 or more depending on whether you want Engine/Body Numbers or not. I remember the days when these Certificates were just £3 :( but that was a long time ago!

In Chris Rees Complete Classic Mini 1959 - 2000 book, he states that production of the Super began in June 1961 at Chassis No. AA2S7S 125538 and ended in October 1962 at 307125. So if your car is between those Chassis Nos. and with a Prefix of AA2S7S, then it looks as if it is a Super. They are very rare and not many survive in original condition. I wish you well in restoring this car to its former glory!

hi the vin number matches up with the AA2S7S prefix. looks like it is a super after all will get a heritage certificate though as model is not on logbook it is just called a austin

nice find............... :proud:

thank you

That's an early shell because it has the high seat belt mounts on the pillars, and it's got the full front vallance.
If it's a Super then the doors have been replaced at some point because they should have the stainless trim around the windows. Also it should have the chromed window catches.
Those front seats look like Morris Minor seats to me. The clocks and binnicle are Mk2. The car should have a three clock binnicle, but the earlier type with the metal support bracket and the gauges should have the peaked type rims.

I'd send the chassis number to the Heritage Centre and get a Heritage Certificate. That will tell you what the car is, the colour and the trim.

i have been studying the doors earlier after what you said in several places there appears to be what looks like holes in the middle of the section around the top of the door they look to have been filled over like most of the car iam not going to go poking yet as i need to get the clubby done first. i was also trying to get it running earlier and while in the car i noticed that it appears to have had a bottom dash rail cover at some point of it life but has been cut out as you can still see the edge of it under the chrome strip and under the steering column. at the moment iam just trying to see if the engine will start all the electrics work side lights, dipped beam, full beam, indicators, wiper motor works, petrol pump works but is very noisy well surprised it worked to be honest and last of all the floor starter button works and it wirls over got no spark though so going to look at the points first. ill be having another look at it tomorrow sometime so will have a look to see if i can see any more features that match up with a super

Liam

Edited by liam-ds, 06 October 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#13 climaxedcooper

climaxedcooper

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

Liam - you can phone Garry Dickens at Thornfalcon Classics 01823 444500, or email him [email protected].
He is a lovely guy, very friendly, and would be delighted to hear about your car and help source parts and trim you might need. His knowledge on Supers is second to none, he loves hearing stories about new cars found!

#14 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'm veryyyyyyy envious Liam

Got to honest I didnt even realise till now there was a Super I just presumed they were the Delux's. You never stop learning with these little cars!!!

I'd love something like this :bah:

#15 liam-ds

liam-ds

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

Liam - you can phone Garry Dickens at Thornfalcon Classics 01823 444500, or email him [email protected].
He is a lovely guy, very friendly, and would be delighted to hear about your car and help source parts and trim you might need. His knowledge on Supers is second to none, he loves hearing stories about new cars found!

ohh great ill try phone him up tomorrow while im on my dinner break at work, see if there are any other features to keep a eye out for. i havnt got the logbook back through yet. i cant get the exact number off the vin tag as it has had a home made replacement one made up in the 80s and some number are very faint towards the end so wont be applying for a heritage certificate until that comes through.

I'm veryyyyyyy envious Liam

Got to honest I didnt even realise till now there was a Super I just presumed they were the Delux's. You never stop learning with these little cars!!!

I'd love something like this :bah:

thank you, haha i didnt either i though it was a super deluxe with it having the heater and carpets well what was left of them. but after checking build date it could either be a austin mini basic, austin mini super austin mini deluxe or a austin mini cooper its not a basic or cooper defiantly, and it has got a few super features and the vin matches up with the super's so it looking promising :D.

Liam

Edited by liam-ds, 09 October 2012 - 07:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users