15 replies to this topic

#1 jackso11

jackso11

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the original paint colours that were available for mk1's specifically in 1963. I want to decide what colour ro restore my countryman and while I want a colour change I want to keep it as original as possible, so want to consider all the colours it would have been available in from factory.

#2 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

bull motif are a company that still produce the classic mini paints... they might send you out some sample sheets :)

#3 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

This is a 1963 Austin Mini colour chart
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by surfblue63, 14 October 2012 - 03:09 AM.

#4 jackso11

jackso11

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

brilliant! thanks for that surfblue! Looks like my mini is currently surf blue....or at least the bits that aren't rust brown are.

#5 jackso11

jackso11

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

I am guessing by PVC trim they mean the colour of the vinyl/pvc seats, would that be right? Mine currently has black seats that are absolutly in bits and need replacing )this car is a real project!) do you have anything that shows the different interior colours too?
I run a bodyshop and we do interior an exterior repairs so I will probably source some original seats and re-dye the vinyl or recover them but want to get the colour spot on.....this mini is going to be a bit of a company show piece when its done :)

Edited by jackso11, 14 October 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#6 surfblue63

surfblue63

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

If you car is Surfblue then this is how the interior should look.

Posted Image

#7 jackso11

jackso11

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

I think its actually smoke grey but seems to look a blueish grey. I will look for the paint code on it tomorrow. Only had it 2 days :) winter project.

One other question, how should the under seat battery be vented? it has no battery at all at the moment.

#8 surfblue63

surfblue63

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

Have you any pictures of your Traveller? If you car is an early '63 it could be tweed grey.

The battery is not vented. It sits on a plastic tray under the seat with a retaining bracket to hold it.

If you want to check the colours of the vinyl have a look at the Newton Comercial web site, they have examples on there.

Edited by surfblue63, 15 October 2012 - 12:14 AM.

#9 Ibexx

Ibexx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

The battery is not vented. It sits on a plastic tray under the seat with a retaining bracket to hold it.

Have you got any pictures of this? My Traveller is missing the tray or cover. I found the cover on the Newton site, but can't find the tray. I did find one for a Clubman Estate, is that the same tray?
http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/products/2602-products-2602/

#10 surfblue63

surfblue63

• Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

Have you got any pictures of this? My Traveller is missing the tray or cover. I found the cover on the Newton site, but can't find the tray. I did find one for a Clubman Estate, is that the same tray?
http://www.newtoncom...-products-2602/

That Newton part is for vans and pick-ups, which has teh battery mounted closer to the front seat.

The tray used in Travellers was the same as the one used in the Clubman. If you check Somerford they list a cover for the battery as well.

http://www.somerford...page=page&id=70

#11 Ibexx

Ibexx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

That's great thanks!

#12 jackso11

jackso11

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

I have plenty of pictures, start of the project :) I will post some later tonight if I get a chance, if not I will tomorrow.

There seems to be conflicting info around regarding the correct battery, some say 058, some say 068 and some say 038....which is correct?

#13 jackso11

jackso11

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

Anyone know the correct battery? I bought an 038 but its too tall and the terminals are the wrong way around

#14 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

http://mk1-performan...hnical_body.htm have a look here for paint and trim codes etc.

#15 jackso11

jackso11

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Brilliant :) You are a star midridge2!

Just need to get this battery sorted now. Someone out there must have a traveller or countryman from the 60's....please help me with the correct battery type :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users