#16 Fossy313

Fossy313

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Ok ill keep that in mind, yer axles are on my to do list gonna pick some up. Thanks for all the help mate much appreciated. By the way when you wash your car is there anything special that helps protect the paint as you said it ain't grate, and is there any weaknesses in my model to watch for ? Dodgy gear box etc etc, sorry for all the questions mate tell me to shut up if you get bored :D

#17 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

Ok ill keep that in mind, yer axles are on my to do list gonna pick some up. Thanks for all the help mate much appreciated. By the way when you wash your car is there anything special that helps protect the paint as you said it ain't grate, and is there any weaknesses in my model to watch for ? Dodgy gear box etc etc, sorry for all the questions mate tell me to shut up if you get bored :D

Now I'm a OCD car cleaner :P .

So, you want to use a grit gard (Stops the grit from your wash mit coming back into the water in the bucket and therfor onto the car.
2 Bucket method, one with your suds and one with clean water. So with your wash mit, dunk in the suds, wash off. Dip in the clean water, dunk in the suds, repeat. This will all reduce the risk of swirl marks.

NEVER USE A SPONGE, grit just sits on the surface and scratches. Always work in straight lines. Use a claybar with clay lube.

There are plenty of videos on detailing and proper washing technique on youtube. I reccomend Chemical Guys products and For your wheels, Poorboys wheel sealent its like wax for you wheels, minimises rust and brake dust sticking.

Only ever use microfibre towels. and Pat the car dry dont rub. Treat it like a baby, you wouldn't rub away at your child with a towel.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk This is where I get all my products.

Once you get more into it you'll become more anal about it and then start looking at getting rid of swirl marks. Via D/A pollishing.

Go on youtube and search Drive Clean, this is a series of very helpful videos for the wannabe detailer :)

Oh and I never get bored of questions, Love being able to share knowledge that I have to help others.

Edited by Noah, 21 October 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#18 Fossy313

Fossy313

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Cheers mate thanks, whats suds exactly? ill check that sight to.....am I right in saying I'm going to get rust on the mini even with this or will the waxoil prevent it completely ? How do I treat the first signs of rust?.

#19 imaparana

imaparana

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Welcome to the minifroum, im also from jersey hope you enjoy :)

#20 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Noah, come and wash my corsa and civic for me :P

I'm in love with dodo juice products

Edited by megamini_jb, 21 October 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#21 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

Cheers mate thanks, whats suds exactly? ill check that sight to.....am I right in saying I'm going to get rust on the mini even with this or will the waxoil prevent it completely ? How do I treat the first signs of rust?.

Eventually any piece of metal is going to rust, its the oxygen reacting with the metal.

I tend to use Chemical Guys Maxi-Suds. Its just a car shampoo.

Waxoil prevents rust, but once its set in you'd have to sand back, use a rust corrector of some sort, filler, primer and then paint.

#22 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Noah, come and wash my corsa and civic for me :P

I'm in love with dodo juice products

If your ever in essex.

Its how I make my money, still haven't found a proper job. Its only when people see the process that I go through do they realise im not just some 16 year old who's trying to wash a car buts actually making it look worse than it did before. I often be washing cars :P.

Edited by Noah, 21 October 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#23 Fossy313

Fossy313

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Cheers parana !, Noah you'be been a star mate thanks ! Looks like I got some work to do I think haha ! I'm so glad I'm finally on the mini scene ..

#24 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

Nice! See I've got all the dodo juice gear and a dodo buff daddy DA that gf bought me for my bday, but all I've ever really done is snowfoam, rinse, wash 2bm (with grid guards), rinse then just pat dry with a MF towel. Never gave them a proper detail like.

#25 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Nice! See I've got all the dodo juice gear and a dodo buff daddy DA that gf bought me for my bday, but all I've ever really done is snowfoam, rinse, wash 2bm (with grid guards), rinse then just pat dry with a MF towel. Never gave them a proper detail like.

Ahh, you should.

First off start by Claying them, you'll notice the difference in how smooth the paint feels and how shiny it looks. Basically it picks up all of the **** like tree sap and contaminates off the paint. Keep folding the clay!

Then Polish with the D/A with a D/A you don't need to worry about damaging the paint. Start of with a cutting pad and a Medium polish depending on how bad the swirls are, then move to a finishing pad and a finishing polish.

Then throw some wax or sealant on there.

Then start doing your I've got a f-ing shiny car dance.

#26 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hi..Fossy313....and welcome to TMF and enjoy...................I'm secretary of Mini Club Jersey and we meet on tthe 3rd Sunday of every month at the old ferry terminal around 9.30 for a cup of tea and a bacon roll then go for a drive and then on to the Old Portelette Inn for a chat and a coffee so next time your on leave why not pop along....................enjoy............ :proud:

#27 Fossy313

Fossy313

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

Hi leg, I might just do that I'm leaving the marines so I'm out by Dec, how quickly do u need to get the waxoil in is it an asap job I take it ??

#28 Fossy313

Fossy313

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

Alsooo , my wife will be using the car till I'm over to have a good look at her, she's wondering if she can put a cover on her at nite while she is still wet or is it advisable to dry hey first .....can you see why I'm glad I found this place haha !!

#29 Fossy313

Fossy313

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

Her*

#30 MrsFosse

MrsFosse

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

Not gate crashing here i hope...im THE WIFE *plays jaws theme tune*

Until your over huh! :) im changing the locks! mwah ha ha ha

Yes i ordered her a cover, what the other half said, can i put it on her while shes damp? i know the cover is breathable, im guessing that means she is able to dry under neath?

heres a few more photos:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also i came across this (names of places do nothing for me so i searched for a diagram :) )
Posted Image

Waxoyl to be applied here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users