9 replies to this topic

#1 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

I know there are many topics about painting engines but this is not covered really.

Most people are using hammerite to paint engines, however i am wanting a different colour to paint my engine with, a metalic colour with a nice glossy finish, not giving too much details away really so i was wondering can any car paint be made into high temp stuff or is it only certain types.

Also is it possible to get somthing like an airbrush which will have enough capacity to spray an engine or a spray gun with a small spray engine to do somthing as delicate as an engine.

Cheers

Jackman

#2 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

not sure on what type of paint to use for a metallic that would work on the engine.
but you could quite esily spray the engine, my friend sprayed his whole moped with an airbrush, looks neat to.

now an airbrushed engine theres a thought. :D

#3 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:05 PM

Where can i get a decent airbrush from then? Ive seen one for sale in halfords but i dont think that will be any good.

#4 Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:18 AM

you can buy airbrush's from your local model shop and 2 pack is the most heat resistant car paint and should be fine for an engine :D

i was considering doing an engine like a union jack. if i do decide to do one i will post up some pics :D

#5 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:48 AM

http://photobucket.c.....0turbo build/

couple of pics in there of mine sprayed gunmetal grey just using a rattle can from halfords. I was surprised that it stayed on there to be honest, even round the back next to the turbo.

#6 andywaller

andywaller

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Local Club: turbominis.co.uk

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

i am sure i read somewhere that even MED spray the blocks in two pac paint

#7 mini_lad_deacon

mini_lad_deacon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Local Club: tynemouth

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:45 PM

best bets buying high temp paint from somwere lyk hallfords it will prob last longer ... give 3 coats of wateva u put on at least i would say

#8 andywaller

andywaller

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Local Club: turbominis.co.uk

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

i have got some engine laquer from frost as i heared it was the best stuff available, they do it in loads of different colours and is supposed to give a really good shine, was expensive mind.

#9 minipip

minipip

• Members
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:03 PM

what is htis 2pac paint stuff and where can i get it?!?! i have seen it everywhere and have no idear. my local car place said i need to get it form a paint speicalist! can some1 help a igornant beeing out?!?!

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:48 PM

Two-pack is normally a two part polyurethane epoxy paint which solidifies very hard and glasslike which most cars are painted with now and have been since the seventies. You can't normally use it at home and definitely shouldn't if you are inexperienced in body shop procedures as the solvant/hardener for it is a product of Cyanide and as such is extremely toxic. If you use it without a fresh air breathing system YOU WILL DIE.

Oh, and MED use engine enamel. I've got some of their stuff in the garage somewhere, it's very good and covers well. Really tough and hardwearing.

Edited by Dan, 01 April 2006 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users