#1 antcole

antcole

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hello folks,

Just overhauling the 8.4 calipers and cant find the torque for the bolts which hold the two halves together.

Looked through the brilliant torque ref sheet posted here but its not listed, only shows the caliper to hub torque.

Many thanks in advance

#2 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

It's not allowedto split them. I did before I knew this three months ago and now I'm waiting for them to fail.

Seriously though. make sure you change the o ring and clean the mating surfaces. I don't know the torque I'm afraid. I just did mine FT. loctite I'd say would be advisable too.

I believe it not to be good practice to split them as it's hard to get them to seal. I did one of mine as I couldn't get a seized piston out any other way and it's been ok so far touch wood but theres lots of really experienced people on here warning against it so you'd be silly not to consider what they say.

#3 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

They're made in 2 halves, and callipers are often overhauled so I don't know why it wouldn't be allowed to split them. Use the correct high tensile bolts and the correct torque and I don't see why it should be any different to a new calliper.

#4 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

They're made in 2 halves, and callipers are often overhauled so I don't know why it wouldn't be allowed to split them. Use the correct high tensile bolts and the correct torque and I don't see why it should be any different to a new calliper.

That was my initial thought but as I say there are plenty of posts warning against doing it. I've not had enough experience overhauling callipers to argue against some of the people here.

I did one of mine and maybe it was luck that it sealed ok. (using a new o ring). I just hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the bum.

Maybe I'm just a worrier lol

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

I always split the calliper into 2 parts when doing a re-build. You do need a new O-ring and the correct torque setting is 45 lb.ft with Loctite applied. The faces must be clean, as must everything when re-building brakes.
It's an 'urban myth' that the two halves should not be split.

#6 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

I always split the calliper into 2 parts when doing a re-build. You do need a new O-ring and the correct torque setting is 45 lb.ft with Loctite applied. The faces must be clean, as must everything when re-building brakes.

That's good enough for me then.

I'm guessing that failure of a reassembled caliper would either mean the bolts would work loose or fracture, or the seal would fail.

if the two halves have sealed ok in the first place and the system is maintaining pedal pressure is it fair to assume that the seal is a good one and likely to remain so for the life of the new o ring?

#7 antcole

antcole

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

Thanks Cooperman, really appreciated mate.

#8 conrod

conrod

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Local Club: Combined Coastal Car Club

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:41 AM

I'm liking Cooperman's input. Like Antcole I scoured the books and net but no torque setting was found. My thought was to contact Lockheed or Girling. Cooperman can you tell us where you got your setting from? It needs to be added to torque settings in our manuals and restoration books. Cheers Kev.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:07 AM

Some more reading with slightly different numbers.

http://www.theminifo...-reconditioning

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:19 AM

Some more reading with slightly different numbers.

http://www.theminifo...-reconditioning

In that link, I posted a torque figure of 60 ft / lb. That is correct for genuine 8.4" AP Calipers. The non-genuine types seem to take an M10 Metric Bolt. I have no data on those.

#11 g0myw

g0myw

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:05 AM

I'm in the "split them" camp. 
Have done several (motorbike) calipers and have never had any problems.
As with anything brakes, keep it clean and you'll be ok.
If you're not happy, thethen don't do it.

#12 MaximMini

MaximMini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:47 AM

Hi Everyone,

When selecting the thread lock, you should consider that brake fluid in worth case scenario (DOT 3 with maximum water content of 3.5%) will maintain a boiling temperature of minimum 130 °C. I therefore went for Loctite 270, which is high strength and rated for up to 180 °C.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users