459 replies to this topic

#226 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

I love the way the children on here have threatened to "dob you in" have said you cant restore it, you cant register it, you did not get it out blah blah blah

You got of your backside and got it out no one else did that, its your car to do what you like with restored unrestored whatever sod all to do with anyone else

Personally i am pleased to see it out regardless of where it goes now

#227 max4790

max4790

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Local Club: I.M.O.G.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Nice one Steve! You go for it! :-)

#228 KM313

KM313

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Well done, do as you want with it and enjoy it. Anything is better than putting it over the bridge or letting it rot out of site.

"Hated is Rated"

#229 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

I love the way the children on here have threatened to "dob you in" have said you cant restore it, you cant register it, you did not get it out blah blah blah

You got of your backside and got it out no one else did that, its your car to do what you like with restored unrestored whatever sod all to do with anyone else

Personally i am pleased to see it out regardless of where it goes now

thanks all of you for the positive comments ...we are all mini lovers and me myself if i knew someone who got of their arse and done something proactive and saved an old mini i would congratulate them ...thanks again

#230 Steely

Steely

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

What year is this GT? Late 70's with the 12" steels and plasic trims? Shouldn't be too hard to find I would imagine along with all the other GT parts. Thats If you are going down the route of how it would have left the factory (sort of) Preserving it's history and damamged "charm".

POL should be Big! next year if the guy that now owns Issigonis's personal gearless mini prototype and this GT turns up :D

I really can't wait now!

#231 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I think you was always going to get controversy with this, but assuming it is all legitimate and legal then I see no problem with this. Granted, it is a piece of history, but only to those who knew it was there, and with it being essentially bricked in, few people would care in a few years.

It would be good to see a build thread, even if you aren't doing it yourself. I'd still say good luck with it, no doubt it will cost a fortune but it's your money and it clearly has meaning to you! I imagine you will at do a decent job of it which cannot be said about all "restorations" etc.

thanks for that and i do honestly think it deserves the best restoration ...if it takes me a couple of years it has to be right...

#232 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

What year is this GT? Late 70's with the 12" steels and plasic trims? Shouldn't be too hard to find I would imagine along with all the other GT parts. Thats If you are going down the route of how it would have left the factory (sort of) Preserving it's history and damamged "charm".

POL should be Big! next year if the guy that now owns Issigonis's personal gearless mini prototype and this GT turns up :D

I really can't wait now!

yes ime in two minds what to do... do i wait til after POL before i start the restoration and bring it along as it is ime not sure people will like to see it at the minute as it is in a bad way...but maybe thats the charm of it at the minute

#233 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

I really can't wait now!

yes ime in two minds what to do... do i wait til after POL before i start the restoration and bring it along as it is ime not sure people will like to see it at the minute as it is in a bad way...but maybe thats the charm of it at the minute

I would be inclined to bring it along as it is and have something written up to explain the Mini's story, the plans that you have for it and ask if anyone has anymore information about it. You never know, someone who was responsible for it's demise or put it down in the tunnel might just come forward. You could then bring it back to PoL in 2014 to show its progress. It would be a great story for PoL. Have you contacted John Baker yet?

#234 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

I've only just read all this....I read the early posts and then thought it was a thread 'debating' what should be done and didnt realise she was out!!

Well done!!!!....now you have the awful job of doing her justice

The history and provenance of this little car is all about where she came from and a few 'laughter lines' on her bodywork are well deserved :D

#235 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

I've only just read all this....I read the early posts and then thought it was a thread 'debating' what should be done and didnt realise she was out!!

The history and provenance of this little car is all about where she came from and a few 'laughter lines' on her bodywork are well deserved :D

yes i have to agree but some of the laughter lines are now scars ...which as a mini lover is not good to see

#236 evolotion

evolotion

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

well done on digging it out, genuinely gobsmacked at some of the nieve posts in this thread though. dont listen to the haters and good luck with the resto, though i have to say would be nice to leave a few of the battle scars!

#237 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

yes i have to agree but some of the laughter lines are now scars ...which as a mini lover is not good to see

Dont hide them or you'l lose her

#238 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

well done on digging it out, genuinely gobsmacked at some of the nieve posts in this thread though. dont listen to the haters and good luck with the resto, though i have to say would be nice to leave a few of the battle scars!

yes it would be nice to leave a few but still unsure ....probably why i came on here to get your opinions on the best way to go

#239 BGB

BGB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Local Club: East Lothian Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Well done in rescuing a unique pice of history.

Don't listen to the civic drivers, do what your heart desires.

First piece of advice I was given about my mini was its mine and no one can tell you what you want from it.

I look forward to the update.

Edited by BGB, 19 November 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#240 Chance

Chance

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

I heard a forklift driver got fired and he took the mini cause he wasnt very happy about being fired and smashed it up

Doesnt exlain the roof, and might be a load of BS :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users