459 replies to this topic

#16 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

It's not yours to take, it'd be stealing and we would be the first to dob you in seeing as you've admitted it on a public forum.

Leave it be, it has heritage there, not outside. To bring it out will lose its story and meaning and will become "just a shell".. If it ever does reach a museum it wont mean much without a story.. the story is the tunnel.

#17 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

For what reason do you want to remove it - personal gain?

If you are going to remove it and donate it to the gaydon museum than I would feel OK with that

#18 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

For what reason do you want to remove it - personal gain?

If you are going to remove it and donate it to the gaydon museum than I would feel OK with that

Of course its personal profit, anyone interested in gaining it for museum use would want to find out its history first...

#19 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

if you knew me i have retrieved a lot of austin pieces and believe it or not i have paid for them and i havent sold any of them the mini has been down there 30 years and nobody wanted it or spend any money to salvage it

#20 GulfPetrolHead

GulfPetrolHead

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Local Club: South East Mini Owners

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

bastards!!! this is a really intersting story though. Hats off to you for deciding to try and rescue it but is it really worth it? what would you do with it, try and restore it? It would be a shame for it to stay there for eternity but it is propperly at home after all! I hate the idea of it getting any more broken/vandilised down there though, makes me shiver :/
I reckon it would be awesome to get it out, but please try to do it legally!!! I don't think there's any point in dragging it out, because it still would never have offically left Longbridge, and as an ornament, is probably better off down there anyway!
Was it ever registered?

#21 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Leave it alone,

as above really, theres nothing left of it.

Part of the whole mystique of it is because its down there, you take it out, you ruin it.

#22 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

i bought this subject up on here years ago!!!

i have to admit it i think get it out! put it in gaydon, or somehwere similar. i agree that what makes it so special is that it has been down there all that time, but i dont think that means it shoudl stay there.

im surprised someone hasnt got it out before now to be honest.

personally i think it should be bought out, and as best as possible restored using any parts of the shell its possible to salvage. there are tons of other historical cars that have been damaged worse than this and still restored.

#23 Steely

Steely

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

I'm not sure about restoring now to be honest. I just really wish a museum of the history of Longbridge could be built on the site somewhere that this GT could have gone into. I'm sure there's plenty of people that would agree with me.

#24 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

it is a std clubman and not a gt

#25 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I was just thinking the same thing steely

mabye it could be restored were it is & people could come and view it as a sort of open museum type thing.

#26 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

well the tunnel entrance is only 4 foot high and 2 foot wide so it aint going anywhere and with a number of collapses down there it will die down there ...shame really would of been a delight to restore and give it a second chance

#27 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Good.

#28 Steely

Steely

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

it is a std clubman and not a gt

On the first picture of the rear end there looks to be a black GT stripe down the the bottom of the door? My just be my eyesight. There's only 2 dials which is a standard clubbie thing but I suppose there could just be a dial missing?

#29 minijules

minijules

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Local Club: A's of Herts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

could always chop the roof off and get it out on its side, mini's are 4ftx4ftx10ft so that should work right?

#30 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

i like the fact that there is a mixed bag of thoughts some want it to stay some want it out ...i myself believe that after everything that has happened on that site its disgraceful that it has just been left down there as every man and his dog has been in there and pinched,punched and vandalised this poor soul and reference to an earlier comment i wouldnt want it for personal gain i would of wanted it because myself,my father and my mother all worked there we all worked on the mini my dad worked on the first my mom did the seats on the last and i worked on about 20 thousand or so some where in between

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users