Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

The story I heard about this car is that it fell off the production line and the useful bits stripped or robbed off it and then left down the tunnels. It was never actually a completed vehicle

#32 Steely

Steely

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

So one of your family may may have made my mini 25 1984?

#33 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

The story I heard about this car is that it fell off the production line and the useful bits stripped or robbed off it and then left down the tunnels. It was never actually a completed vehicle

looks like this may be right - as if you look at the shell , the rear 1/4's over the lights & doors aren't dented

as you would expect a vandalised car to look like

was this the factory where they used to hide old stuff underneath to avoid the stock take ? Old shells etc - there should be more ?

#34 ClubbyAsh

ClubbyAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

it is a std clubman and not a gt

On the first picture of the rear end there looks to be a black GT stripe down the the bottom of the door? My just be my eyesight. There's only 2 dials which is a standard clubbie thing but I suppose there could just be a dial missing?

Found this report on these tunnels with a lot more photos of the car, it is a GT! :) http://www.silentuk.com/?p=1831

#35 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

So one of your family may may have made my mini 25 1984?

yes more than likely a great place to work and great people

#36 Steely

Steely

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

I knew it was a GT lol. I didnt realise it still had its seats though! But those seats aren't GT seats, just standard clubbie.

#37 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,765 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Video of the Longbridge tunnels:

Rover MG, Longbridge:
http://www.28dayslat...ight=longbridge

Edited by mab01uk, 10 November 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#38 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

On the first picture of the rear end there looks to be a black GT stripe down the the bottom of the door? My just be my eyesight. There's only 2 dials which is a standard clubbie thing but I suppose there could just be a dial missing?

Found this report on these tunnels with a lot more photos of the car, it is a GT! :) http://www.silentuk.com/?p=1831

I stand corrected.

The fact someone had pilfered the the rev counter fooled me, Although it does not look like it has ant stripes on the drivers side?

#39 Steely

Steely

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

yea

I stand corrected.

The fact someone had pilfered the the rev counter fooled me, Although it does not look like it has ant stripes on the drivers side?

Yea none down that side for whatever reason. Maybe it was taken from the factory just before they got chance to put that sides decal on? lol

#40 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

i also heard that it had fallen off the line.

there are several threads on 28dayslater, its a great site and im partial to a little urbex-ing myself!

#41 ClubbyAsh

ClubbyAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

I'd love to visit the place at some stage, i'm only 16 but i've always been one for a bit of history and visiting places like that always makes my mind go off on one imagining what the working life there would have been like and all the possibilities that could have lead to the fate of this poor GT.

#42 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

No-one will ever see this car again if its left, I think it should maybe removed carefully and put in a car museum as it sits, it has become quite famous for being in the tunnels so people been able to actually see it would be quite good!

#43 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

I think whoever owns longbridge, should open it up as a museum and get a crap load of old Austin/Morris/AustinRover/Rover/MG things and stick it in there, would be the most epic museum ever; But I'm talking all the models ever made; even the god awful Montego and the maxi, everything.

Want to start a petition with me?

Who owns longbridge? The Chinese? They own MG? Did they buy the factory too?

#44 stevem4323

stevem4323

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

the tunnel entrance is in the hands of the developers no longer in mg hands i assume they will be capped as they are unsafe and in fear of collapse and then the gt will be gone forever ..when i worked there i remember two guys telling me that they crashed a mini one night and rolled it and hid it down a tunnel i never thought anything of it till last week they said it was a pool car that was used to scoot around the factory up and down the multi story car park

#45 GulfPetrolHead

GulfPetrolHead

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Local Club: South East Mini Owners

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

So we have now established that this car fell off the production line so wasn't able to be sold, it was used as a pool car instead, where it was rolled, and then it was damaged by builders and hidden ;)
I love stuff like this, so many different explainations...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users