1842 replies to this topic

#1516 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:15 PM

Defo worth adding one, as is any other mods that reduce drag, and resistance, lightnening, ballencing, port matching, oil way/gallery alignment with bearings/shells etc all tiny increases that all add up. Some of which should be done on all engine builds but are often over looked. Also look at carb mods as per the yellow bible. Small gains can make a big difference when theres enough of them.

#1517 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:29 PM

I fit one to mine as frankly as I saw it as a necessity.

#1518 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:28 PM

Any updates on this dude? ?

#1519 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:43 AM

Yeah.. where are you Petrol?  Probably out "cruising" and enjoying life..

#1520 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:39 PM

Its taken me a week's worth of evenings to read through this build (outstanding by the way) but along the way I've learned a lot of valuable info. One of the more troubling bits is the apparent lack of quality with regard to MiniSport's parts (although not limited to them). Coincidentally, I've been finalizing a parts list for a build I'm starting and amongst the suppliers/parts are several items I had marked for purchase from MiniSportUSA.

I'm wondering if we might be able to create a thread with a list of trusted suppliers, subdividing it further into specific categories of parts and suppliers.

Petrol - I'm sorry to read that you've had so much frustration but I think your experience and others' with various suppliers and shops, captured in one thread, would be a godsend (please excuse me if it exists...I searched the site and didn't see it). Here in the States, Mini parts are even harder to come by let alone quality parts. I've resigned myself to paying a premium due to shipping costs from the U.K. but I would much rather pay once than have to buy various parts twice due to inferior quality.

Thoughts anyone? 

#1521 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:33 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. It's a long story but to be brief...  I was very fortunate to have an opportunity to meet a like-minded petrol head in the states.

IiQhxtX.jpg

The pic says it all!. I drove some of the historical route 66 in a Mini.

qICR6hg.jpg

Most Brits do this in an American muscle car... I did it in a Mini!

The whole experience was life changing for me and I'm very grateful.

I have been enjoying life since I got back, thanks to my American friends. I also gave my Son a bit of encouragement on an iron man event in portugal

8lNu7LO.jpg

Not much done to my Mini for a while but I'll be back when its cold and wet

It's hard for me to recommend a supplier here in the UK and I know all about shipping costs.... I took some stuff out to the states to save my friend some dollars.

That said, retrominis.co.uk supply some quality parts. I've been impressed with them. They only sell parts that will last!

Minisport are a complete joke, 99% of what they sell is crap
Minispares are not much better. I've binned many of thier parts too.

It's not easy finding good parts, I can only recommend retrominis

I'll be back with this build soon!

Edited by Petrol, 21 October 2018 - 09:36 PM.

#1522 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. It's a long story but to be brief...  I was very fortunate to have an opportunity to meet a like-minded petrol head in the states.

IiQhxtX.jpg

The pic says it all!. I drove some of the historical route 66 in a Mini.

qICR6hg.jpg

Most Brits do this in an American muscle car... I did it in a Mini!

The whole experience was life changing for me and I'm very grateful.

I have been enjoying life since I got back, thanks to my American friends. I also gave my Son a bit of encouragement on an iron man event in portugal

8lNu7LO.jpg

Not much done to my Mini for a while but I'll be back when its cold and wet

It's hard for me to recommend a supplier here in the UK and I know all about shipping costs.... I took some stuff out to the states to save my friend some dollars.

That said, retrominis.co.uk supply some quality parts. I've been impressed with them. They only sell parts that will last!

Minisport are a complete joke, 99% of what they sell is crap
Minispares are not much better. I've binned many of thier parts too.

It's not easy finding good parts, I can only recommend retrominis

I'll be back with this build soon!

Thanks for the supplier recommendation.  I am about to re-build my sub frames, cones, hilo's etc and would hate to have to re do it in no time at all.

Loved reading through your build thread.  Hope you get the motivation back soon as I cant wait to see a video of it on the road with the screamer screaming.

Glad your enjoying life atm...

#1523 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:58 PM

Glad to see you have been having a nice time over there mate. Looking forward to the updates when you are back on it

#1524 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:17 PM

It's been a while but now that the weather is closing in, I'm trying to get back into it.

I had a problem with the flywheel threads in the crankshaft. I had to get it re tapped 18mm. The crank had a lot of work done to it - wedging and lightening. I did consider fitting a stock crank that I have that has been ground and balanced but this is a screamer and a lightened crank is a must. After stripping the lot down the crank is back in.
This was a massive set back.

UkjirUq.jpg

I havent seen it for a while, I keep it covered in the garage to stop it getting dusty

j7POEzg.jpg

The floor mats had a logo in. Lets just say I don't promote suppliers who are rip off merchants. I blanked them out with some carbon plates and I might put a decal on the top

2rzyCON.jpg

This was a gift from my son

sjQlNN1.jpg

1E8Pxl5.jpg

Thats it for now. I need to get the engine and gearbox back together.

#1525 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:39 PM

That crank does look damn good! Who did the work on it?

#1526 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:10 PM

http://www.robwalkerengineering.co.uk/

He did a proper job. He also balanced everything including end to end balancing on the rods.

This is where I'm up to with the engine and box

zZySqHM.jpg

I hate setbacks, It seems to take 10x longer to get back to where you were before the problem!

Pete

#1527 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:31 AM

Looking good though dude. Thing about set backs is they are mostly unforeseeable just have to take them on the chin unfortunately, your build level is so high! Cant wait to see this car finished, will it be going to shows?

#1528 Drizz

Drizz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:01 PM

Wow. Three full nights of reading start to finish. Your thread as linked on my newbie post. Basically don’t look anywhere else other than here. I’ve shared it to a load of non mini mates too just because the attention to detail is incredible. Hats off to you sir, this is the bible for my restoration.
Many thanks

#1529 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:19 PM

Pete, when you used you blast media earlier in the build, did you sweep it up and reuse it? If so did you filter/sieve the media before hand?

#1530 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:22 AM

Pete, when you used you blast media earlier in the build, did you sweep it up and reuse it? If so did you filter/sieve the media before hand?

Yes you do. A cheap sieve will do it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users