1842 replies to this topic

#1561 camstterr

camstterr

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:00 PM

Really nice build, your attention to detail is perfect.
Just spent the last few days reading through it.
So many good ideas to try out, I’m about to make a start on a 1275 turbo project
Over the last few years I have been collecting up a number of parts from shows and your favourite company Minisport
I’m now very concerned for all the bits I have sitting in the garage.
I guess it will all just need to be closely inspected before being used.

The only interesting point I have seen is your choice to not fit a crankshaft damper.
I would like to measure a mini engine one day to better understand the crankshaft harmonics.
However i expect like any other engine it will become worse at high speed.
I can’t imagine the standard rubber damper would be much good anyway as you would have greatly changed the crankshaft dynamics with the changes you have made.
Best thing would be to get hold of a viscous (friction damper) as they work over a much wider natural frequency.
I might do some digging and see how much you can buy them for.

When do you think you will have it back on the road?

#1562 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:32 PM

Sheezinski !!!

Toby's last engine in job was a standard original 998 Cooper with the remote box, into a solid 1967 Mini...

#1563 TobyM2018

TobyM2018

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:44 PM

I'm hoping the third engine fitting might be my own but I somehow doubt it!

Now that my somewhat stalled project is back on I will be re- reading this thread again!

Delighted to be able to lend a hand Pete. It really is a unique project

#1564 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:59 PM

I'm hoping to have it on the road for July incase a special friend can visit me and drive it. Progress has been at a snails pace recently due to family commitments and unfortunately I wont have time to start any more projects. As a result I will be advertising my 2000 Cooper Sport soon which I planned on giving the full monte.

I know little about crankshaft dampers and as you rightly say camstterr, I have changed the dynamics by having the crankshaft wedged. I have taken quite a bit of rotating mass ot of things too. The block is A+ which has webbings on it to reduce twisting, couple that with everything lightened and fully balanced and I decided to fit a pulley without any damper. These were fitted up to at least MK3 Minis and I didn't have any problems with my 1973 modded 998 which this build was inspired by. Most of the parts are ordered to finish this car but I know there will be a lot of things to sort and parts to make.

One of which is the fuel line. The stock arrangement is a steel pipe that runs up the bulkhead. With an LCB manifold the fuel pipe will absorb heat and as a result, the fuel which is not ideal. Boiling fuel in float chambers can be a problem especially when the car is on tickover and stopped. I decided to use rubber hose due to it's better heat insulation properties. This needed a bracket making so I decided to make one out of carbon fibre

I used 2 aluminium angles as a jig. 10 layers of pre preg carbon for strength

XozPh1G.jpg

nwMsuaK.jpg

Sandwiched together

7m1psqh.jpg

I clamped it and cooked it in the oven, trimmed it to make this

zqffNr6.jpg

Bolted it to the NS top engine steady to support the fuel pipe

2vf20k0.jpg

It's important to make sure everything is clipped up properly. Neat and tidy reduces reliabilty problems and whilst my time is limited these days, I don't want to compromise on build quality at this stage of the game.

Thanks for looking

Pete

#1565 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:49 AM

Lovely bracket. Did you do it in your kitchen oven?

#1566 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:40 PM

Yes, 4 hours at 125C Richie83. To do it properly it should be wrapped and vacuum bagged which I didn't do but it's only a support bracket.

This is the rocker cover I'm using which has a small dent in it which needs filling

aeL17pQ.jpg

Bodyfiller is not the best thing to use on parts that get hot as it expands at a different rate than metal. The result is a ring around the bodyfiller called mapping. I decided to lead fill it. This was done with a blow torch, flux and plumbers solder.

cnswtWW.jpg

Then I sprayed it with high build primer

xc2qCt6.jpg

Dah78Ic.jpg

I'll flat it back and spray it gloss black after a few day to allow the primer to dry.

It's a bit tight down here where I am fitting the additional engine stabiliser. The tappet breather is hitting the threaded bar.

PZKbnfS.jpg

I would prefer to use a breather without the gauze canister like this

pF78Le9.jpg

If anyone has one they don't need, please drop me a PM

Thanks for looking

Pete

#1567 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:22 AM

love the carbon fiber touch..  totally loving your work.

#1568 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

For the engine steady, rather than re-working the breather why not make up a new stabiliser with the bar threaded only in the sections you need it and a plain section with a kink in it, maybe a little like the front lower arm suspension pin? It's not taking a massive load so a kink wouldn't be an issue.

Stu.

#1569 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

Great project, though for your breather issue, I'd have thought the dsn engine steady & thermostat would be a neater solution :thumbsup:

#1570 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

love the carbon fiber touch..  totally loving your work.

Thanks for the kind words mate. You know where I am if you need anything

For the engine steady, rather than re-working the breather why not make up a new stabiliser with the bar threaded only in the sections you need it and a plain section with a kink in it, maybe a little like the front lower arm suspension pin? It's not taking a massive load so a kink wouldn't be an issue.

Stu.

Good idea to get a bit of extra clearance. Wish I had a lathe but I'll find a way to get round it.

Great project, though for your breather issue, I'd have thought the dsn engine steady & thermostat would be a neater solution :thumbsup:

If I had my time again that would be the way to go. What I have is not very elegent but I don't want to remove the bracket on the bulkhead crossmember so I'm kind of stuck with trying to make the best of a bad job.

The top engine mounts are still work in progress. My stock stabiliser is too long because I have fitted a 998. There were 2 sizes made so I have ordered a shorter one. It all gets a bit complicated with a mongrel like this.

New starter motor. These are painted with a one coat black. It's more of a token gesture than protection so I flatted it back with scotchbright

Qaztrx3.jpg

Gave it a couple of coats of 2K black

mk02D68.jpg

Greased the mating surface, this will prevent corrosion and make it easier to remove if need be

qrr7LaV.jpg

Same with the bolts, these are stainless. Dissimilar metals corrode and the grease will help

XN5SYUN.jpg

Fitted

efBXg0Q.jpg

Fingerprints become a problem on a build like this. Furniture polish like pledge is best for removing them.

Progress looks slow but it's painstaking work at this stage of the game. My biggest problem at the moment is the distributer. I don't have one and not sure what I need.

Thanks for looking

Pete

#1571 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

Here you can see the difference in lengths of the steady bar

4fJp1jm.jpg

I bought one made from billet alloy, its lighter and saves painting. I'm getting lazy  :lol:

Nice bit of kit and I wanted to keep things rubber mounted. It's a road car after all.

WuKG8jd.jpg

Fitted

sMLDphb.jpg

It's a good time of year for painting outside because there are no insects about.

These original pressed steel rocker covers are lighter than the alloy ones. I also didn't want alloy one which cools. This can create condensation or mayo white sludge inside.

fCq6Wiz.jpg

#1572 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:44 PM

I put the CV joints in the hubs without the driveshafts to make it easier to push the car about. Took the CV's out of the hubs and built the driveshafts up

ODW3N46.jpg

Fitted

xSOz5VJ.jpg

aAf8nRG.jpg

7zgAIkH.jpg

Torqued up the hub nuts with the wheels on the ground like this

foJL5EB.jpg

Pete

#1573 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

Love the progress Pete! Can't wait to see it in the flesh!

#1574 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:43 PM

It's painfully slow at the moment Steve, I'm having to modify and fabricate absolutely everything. Latest problem is fitting a carb to an MPI shell due to the lack of a big hole in the bulkhead for the speedo :ohno: More on that later.

Rocker cover was easy to fit though

iOGJkyI.jpg?1

Small bore Maniflow LCB. People get hung up about big bore this and that. It's the same with the Jap turbo guys but big isn't always best as it's important to have some low down torque.

CJioSom.jpg

What is important though is port matching.The head has been ported as much as possible and this is done to the size of the gasket. The same goes with the manifold.

With the gasket on the manifold you can see the restriction

jxnGC8l.jpg

With the manifold ports marked out

JBpldlo.jpg

Rotary file in a drill and a Dremmel

v3h7WK7.jpg

Some metal removed

5SmHHhT.jpg

Result

3W49Ekr.jpg

It's mods like this that make all the difference. Yes it takes time but it's worth it in the long run

Thanks for looking

Pete

#1575 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 08:16 AM

Nice work on the porting! Did you buy a batch of manifold gaskets? I can't imagine every manufacturers are the same size?

Q

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users