#946 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

Not much done today, but I finally got the crank pulley and trigger wheel fitted and torqued. Also fitted the bracket for the crank sensor. I just need to finalise the spacing for said sensor, as well as make a spacer for the fan before I fit the radiator. I should be able to finally get the engine back in after that! Hopefully it runs . . .

dQLpQ9r.jpg

#947 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 03:40 PM

When you go for a fully electronic ignition setup, I know the distributor goes away but is a blanking plate used to close the hole in the block? 

Also, what other mods are needed? The timing is done with that crank angle sensor and a coil pack to replace the coil, but what else would be needed. Also, what are the general benefits of the mod? 

#948 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:37 PM

When you go for a fully electronic ignition setup, I know the distributor goes away but is a blanking plate used to close the hole in the block? 

Also, what other mods are needed? The timing is done with that crank angle sensor and a coil pack to replace the coil, but what else would be needed. Also, what are the general benefits of the mod? 

Blanking plug, yes. You can see it in some of the pictures on the previous pages. You just need to make sure to remove the dizzy drive gear etc.

In my case, you need a control module, like the MegaJolt. This works together with the coil pack, EDIS unit and crank sensor. 

Some nice reading here : https://wiki.autospo...tallation_guide

#949 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 12:55 PM

The engine is basically ready to go back in. I just need to sort the final position of the crank sensor. I also ran into an issue with the one tappet chest plate - the breather sits in the way of the rear water hose. With the addition of the heater hose, the join fouls the breather. I'll switch back to the original chest plate and see of that makes a difference.

jKvt1AW.jpg

#950 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:10 PM

Loosely fitted the starter motor after giving it some paint. Also fitted decent clamps on the water hoses. Lastly, the original tappet chest plate was cleaned up and painted, then fitted with some new seals on the bolts. 

lK3Mq63.jpg

I also got the old loom out, ready to fit the new one. There are a few differences which I will be accommodating for before fitting the new loom. I also need to decide if I want to be replacing the rear loom too - not sure I have enough patience to feed it through the roof.

Old vs new :

O6hFMy6.jpg?1

Removed everything I needed to for fitting the sound proofing on the bulkhead. Couple of things I need to do before I get fit it properly. Also having to strip out most of the dash etc. One step forward, three steps back :

rk7DNnz.jpg

#951 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 24 September 2018 - 04:57 PM

Wow, 6 years and counting on this build....... good on you for sticking with it!

#952 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

Wow, 6 years and counting on this build....... good on you for sticking with it!

I try  :lol: It's actually 11 years and counting . . .

#953 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

I try  :lol: It's actually 11 years and counting . . .

I think it's worth remembering the age when you started building the mk3 too. It's a proper commitment to a build and the results speak for themselves. Top work!  

#954 Risky

Risky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:00 AM

That sound proofing looks really good. Where did you get it from?

#955 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

That sound proofing looks really good. Where did you get it from?

Here's a link to Mini Spares : CLICKY

#956 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

With the change in wiring loom and its connections, I also had to make a change in wiper motor. I bought a secondhand unit :

jckW7X4.jpg

After taking it apart and cleaning it up, I put some fresh grease in and fitted new brushes and a new park switch :

ohO8tXB.jpg

Wyebq1E.jpg

I'm hoping that my hybrid setup will work . . .

#957 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:42 PM

I finally received my small parcel from DSN. Only ordered the parts in August - the South African Postal Service know how to make one wait. Chose one of their engine steadies and some thumb screws for the rocker cover - the T-bars that I had on there just weren't long enough with the silicone gasket that I'll be using. These DSN items are longer and fit up rather nicely. 

Zj1snBP.jpg

I need to revisit the wiper setup I have now and make some changes, then make a start at fitting the new loom. I'm still waiting on the loom for the MegaJolt setup as well. 

#958 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:10 AM

The engine is looking great! That heater pipe running across the front of the motor looks cool. 

#959 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:24 PM

I've made a start at installing the wiring loom in the engine bay. It's mostly in, but need a few connectors etc to finish it off. I'm also a bit unsure about a couple wires, but should be able to figure it out. I also got the correct wiper arms to suit the later wiper motor, so one less job to do. 

Something that has been bothering me for a while is the driver's seat. Namely, mounting it. I wasn't sure what to do and came up with a few overly complicated designs that were ultimately not going to work. I got in touch with Shawn from Bestune who came up with a rather elegant and simple design that is both lightweight (made from 4mm aluminium) and strong. It was laser cut and bent into shape, then coated in textured paint :

1HTBwY3.jpg

And mounted to the seat :

Y6VquCh.jpg

It's been provisionally mounted into the car at the moment. I'm very happy with the height, angle (rear is ever so slightly higher than the front to compensate for the low back seat design) and distance from the pedals (mounted behind the cross member). I also got a steering drop bracket from Bestune to compliment the seat frame. It's the road version, which works well and gets the wheel at just the right height.

bYOKQQm.jpg?1

I haven't got a picture of everything fitted yet as the interior is a mess and the dash is in pieces. Once it's all in place, I'll upload a photo.

Lastly, I had been waiting since July for my MegaJolt loom - thanks South African postal service! It was made by Wired by Wilson. Really good quality and workmanship. 

HRC8ObG.jpg?1

One step closer to getting the car on the road!

#960 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:03 PM

Nice! Are they one off parts?
Can I ask where you got your seats from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users