Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:38 PM

Nice! Are they one off parts?
Can I ask where you got your seats from?

The seat mount is a one off item. The drop bracket is a Bestune item.

The seat is a Cobra Classic RS item, which was bought here in South Africa. 

#962 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

Shawn makes some fantastic parts! If I ever wanted to fit a drop bracket, that would definitely be the one to go for (or maybe the one from steveston moto co).

It looks like the seat doesn't have any adjustments though, although I suppose it isn't a problem as you can position it correctly for your driving position, and does it mount to the floor or the cross member?

#963 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:21 PM

Shawn makes some fantastic parts! If I ever wanted to fit a drop bracket, that would definitely be the one to go for (or maybe the one from steveston moto co).

It looks like the seat doesn't have any adjustments though, although I suppose it isn't a problem as you can position it correctly for your driving position, and does it mount to the floor or the cross member?

No need for adjustment. It's in the right position for me. It's mounted to the floor behind the cross member, so there's loads of head room now.

#964 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 04:03 PM

Cool. Moving the seat back and dropping the steering wheel definitely gives the Mini a modern driving feel. I remember sitting in Andrew's green Clubman and thinking it was nice to sit further back.

Keen to see how the engine bay looks with the new loom and the megajolt setup fitted. Will you be hiding the wiring for that wire free engine bay look?

#965 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

Will you be hiding the wiring for that wire free engine bay look?

A bit too much work at this stage of the build to try and hide everything. Not too worried if the wiring shows - its a fresh loom, so it still looks neat. The same goes for the MegaJolt loom. As long as it looks neat, then I'm happy. 

#966 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

In my week and a bit off from work, I've tackled some jobs I had been putting off for a while. I had been meaning to fit the new drums, but had no interest in jacking the car up to actually do it. Upon attempting the job, I figured out why I had a soft brake when I previously tried bleeding the system - the brand new wheel cylinders are leaking . . . More money to spend on and time wasted on waiting for unnecessary parts.

I also redid the boot board. I was never happy with the first attempt. It somehow looked very cumbersome and amateur. It now looks a lot neater and simpler, after being cut down a little more and fresh carpet put on :

ybbEugb.jpg

The replacement oil cooler arrived yesterday as well. Smaller than what I was originally going to use, at 7 rows. Probably not required, but hey, there's a thermostat there as well :

yfRl8Qo.jpg?1

Lastly, I've made some real progress with getting the electrics fitted. The replacement loom is in and routed neatly, along with the fuse box and relay for the spots. Took a bit of figuring out to know exactly what goes where, especially considering it's a non-standard loom. The MegaJolt loom is test fitted as well now, along with the coil pack and EDIS module. The wiring in the boot has also been cleaned up and retaped in loom tape, which basically leaves the interior wiring to sort out now.

E4EwH2d.jpg?1

It's now to figure out the positioning of the expansion bottle (twin carbs and the EDIS module means it needs to move) and sort out a little more of the wiring while I have the room, then the engine can actually go back in!

#967 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

That seat bracket is slick!

I never noticed how you did your twin tanks before.....interesting. I like the red straps and boot board tho!

I also never noticed the gas struts for the bonnet before, another well executed idea....did you buy or fab up the brackets? What do the struts normally fit?

6 months for the post to deliver? Wouldn't it have been more effective to use DHL or UPS or someone like that? 6 months is absurd, even if you are halfway around the world.....this isn't the 1800's for pity's sake!

Edited by Magneto, 01 January 2019 - 07:54 PM.

#968 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:48 AM

Top stuff, dude! The boot looks so neat and so does the engine bay. As above, all the custom fabrication work on your car is lovely. 

#969 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

That seat bracket is slick!

I never noticed how you did your twin tanks before.....interesting. I like the red straps and boot board tho!

I also never noticed the gas struts for the bonnet before, another well executed idea....did you buy or fab up the brackets? What do the struts normally fit?

6 months for the post to deliver? Wouldn't it have been more effective to use DHL or UPS or someone like that? 6 months is absurd, even if you are halfway around the world.....this isn't the 1800's for pity's sake!

The second tank was a bit of a compromise - I wanted a second tank, but didn't want to drill through the body. Hopefully it works and doesn't cause me hassles  :shy:

The gas struts are a MiniSpares item : CLICKY

I picked them up here in South Africa new and unused for less than a fraction of what they cost originally. 

Normally the post takes around a month, which I'm fine with. I just didn't expect it to take that long . . . I certainly won't be using that option again.

#970 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:19 PM

Today was a big day!!

IXCwtdi.jpg

Yes, the engine is back in! I got my brother around to help me and put it back in. Definitely things that still need to be checked and/or changed, but this is a big step. It's getting close now.

She's sitting fairly low though, so I might need to do some adjustment, even if it does look good :

9d2enmG.jpg

#971 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

Great work mate, bet you're pleased to finally have it in.

#972 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

Top stuff, dude! Congrats on getting the engine fitted. Waiting to hear a video of it once you get it started :) 

#973 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

Great work mate, bet you're pleased to finally have it in.

Thanks  =] I didn't think it would ever be back in . . .

Top stuff, dude! Congrats on getting the engine fitted. Waiting to hear a video of it once you get it started :) 

Thanks man!

#974 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

Looks awesome dude!!  :thumbsup:

#975 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3