#1 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

As there is an increase in popularity in this mod, for people with mk4 lights, i though it might be useful
There are numerous projects and conversions i have seen on here, using the horrid joints known as "skotch loks"
These are horrid connections and cause all sorts of issues. There is no need to cut any wires
take 1 mk4 light
Posted Image

And 1 mk2/3 light
Posted Image

Once the bulb is removed you can pull the wire through, along with the backing plate and tension spring
Posted Image

The backing plate can be removed and spring slipped off. Note that the springs are different lengths in the 2 units so make sure you keep them with the relavant lamp
Posted Image

The brake and side light conector is the same arangement, the side light is marked with "T" to save getting confused
Take your mk4 lamp and it comes apart exactly the same, use plastic holders and spring from the relevant light unit
and your mk2/3 lamp now plugs straight into your mk4 wiring loom.
Posted Image

The reverse wire can be cut off, tidied up or used as the feed for a boot mounted light, what ever you feel fit

#2 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

This needs pinning as is a great way to do this conversion as you said much better than the skotch loks and easy!

Will be following your guide for when I get mine :)

#3 minimarco

minimarco

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Thanks! will be following this guide soon.
Posted Image

This needs pinning as is a great way to do this conversion as you said much better than the skotch loks and easy!

Moved into FAQ section perhaps? This and the over-rider/corner bar install thread.

Edited by minimarco, 26 November 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#4 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Was going to do this but got told that "I Had to have a reversing lamp, and if this conversion is done a reversing lamp had to be fitted elsewhere " is this true?

#5 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

By law you do not have to have a reverse light as far as I know. But You can always fit one next to the fog light.

#6 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

For the mot you don't need one.
Where i live its needed as we have no street lights
You can always fit a boot mount or after market type
I've no idea how to move it to a pinned topic

Edited by charie t, 28 November 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#7 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Cheers thats cleared that one up........thanks, a MK2/3 conversion added to the list of what needs to be done....no wonder She moans a bit :ohno:

#8 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

On mine I did a similar thing but i bought the wires and plug off a set of later lights and used bullet connectors to the original wires on the mk2 lights.

You do not legally have to have a reverse light fitted to a car. But if one is fitted it must work.

Also, the boot mounted option... It must against the law to have a beamed light facing backwards, so most of the boot mounted spot lights used are illegal. it must be an actual reverse lamp. Fitting a spot light can be accepted by wiring it up to a separate switch and feed and having a 'working light' is acceptable. Not connected to the original reverse light wires which come on when reverse it engaged.
You could use this working lamp for reversing on private land etc

#9 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

On mine I did a similar thing but i bought the wires and plug off a set of later lights and used bullet connectors to the original wires on the mk2 lights.

This is why i was posting, to get rid of those nasty crimping terminals.

Edited by charie t, 01 December 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#10 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Excellent guide :-) Well done

#11 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Was going to do this but got told that "I Had to have a reversing lamp, and if this conversion is done a reversing lamp had to be fitted elsewhere " is this true?

A reversing lamp is not required to pass an MOT. That aside though, if you do decide to loose your reversing lamp due to converting to mk 2/3 lamps, then you MUST advise your insurer of the modification, otherwise you may find yourself uninsured if a claim were to arise as a result of a collision that occurred whilst you were reversing. (particularly if the collision were to involve striking a pedestrian, or it occurs in the dark)

EDIT: Great guide by the way!! :thumbsup:

Edited by AVV IT, 01 December 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#12 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

A reversing lamp is not required to pass an MOT. That aside though, if you do decide to loose your reversing lamp due to converting to mk 2/3 lamps, then you MUST advise your insurer of the modification, otherwise you may find yourself uninsured if a claim were to arise as a result of a collision that occurred whilst you were reversing. (particularly if the collision were to involve striking a pedestrian, or it occurs in the dark)

EDIT: Great guide by the way!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for adding that, it seemed like something was missing, mine are declared too

Edited by adam_93rio, 01 December 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#13 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

This is why i was posting, to get rid of those nasty crimping terminals.

Solder terminals?

#14 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

This will do the trick, hang it under the rear valance like the fog light, bobs your uncle, *******'s your aunt.

http://minispares.co...|Back to search

#15 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

Lads thanks for adding the part that I must declare it to my insurance coy, wouldn't of even thought about that part......thanks good guide tooooooo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users