mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Classic & sports Car Mag News Report:
A criminal gang is targeting Minis in the West Midlands and West Mercia with the number of incidents going ‘ballistic’ in the past month, police have warned.
According to a spokesman, a “significant number” of thefts have occurred covering every variant of classic Mini from late and running cars to early restoration projects. Austins and Coopers are at particular risk.
Whether they are being broken for parts or sold overseas is unclear. What is apparent is that values have risen sharply in recent years, making the cars a desirable target for thieves.
PC Alan Colman, who owns a ’67 Cooper ‘S’, told C&SC: “If you own a Mini take time to ensure it’s secured with an alarm, steering lock or even a tracker.
“If you see anything suspicious report it to the police – nine out of 10 times it’s reports like these that lead to an arrest. Even if cars that have been stripped they are easily recognisable to owners.”
Security tips for motorists can be found on the Safer Motors website. West Midlands Police can be contacted by dialling the 101 non-emergency number, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news/general-classic-car-news/mini-thefts-%E2%80%98go-ballistic%E2%80%99-in-the-midlands?utm_source=Silverpop&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=CLS%20email%20newsletter%2030%20November%202012%20%281%29&utm_content=Topic_2_bottom_link_1

#2 leroy26

leroy26

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: minisunleashed.com

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

so are they nickin the posh 70s and late 90s or the tatty 80s ones or just anythin thats minishaped?

#3 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

It appears to not be one group of scumf**ks whos doing this.
Friends mini was almost stolen last night if it wasnt for some on looker in some flats who reported seeing a mini being pushed into a council garage.

#4 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

It appears to not be one group of scumf**ks whos doing this.
Friends mini was almost stolen last night if it wasnt for some on looker in some flats who reported seeing a mini being pushed into a council garage.

We need more detail there - how do you pinch a Mini by pushing it into a garage?

#5 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

because the theifs are stupid, sh*tting on their own door step so to speak. Broke into the car, pushed it down the road, round the corner to some lock ups where I can assume, they would move it on at a later date or strip it for parts

#6 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

On the topic of trackers for minis. I help to run the Abingdon mini owners website, and received this email which I thought I would share....

Maybe one of the mods who is on the emailing list for the forum has recieved the same email? But at £99 I don't think it's a bad price to pay

The classic Mini, is a fast appreciating investment and as their popularity increases so their attraction to thieves also goes up., especially as they lack the high tech security kit found built in to modern cars.
Q Trackers are an effective foil to vehicle theft, why else would so many insurers insist on them being fitted to expensive cars?
We have put Mini clubs as a special category on our web site so that classic Mini owners can have a 33% discount on our CHIPnTRAC GPS self-monitoring tracker and ID marking security pack.
The new BMW MINI is also an attractive target for thieves and as MODERN MINI found when they visited us in September CHIPnTRAC is a good deal to protect them (see Modern Mini Sept/Oct issue pages 64-67 Tech Head)

Call RBS Ltd on 01474 350 883
or
www.rbs-propertymarking.co.uk
Scroll down to the Special Clubs section and click on the Mini Clubs then enter the password.

The normal price is £149 with no annual fees (although text message tariffs may apply)but down to £99 with club discount
Here's what you get

GPS self-monitoring tracker with vehicle voltage converter and 2 x internal rechargeable baack up batteries (1 spare) and a mains charger.

Control through your mobile phone - call the tracker and receive its position, set parameters which if breached send an alert and track the vehicle - with a smart phone you can see the psotion on Google maps.

For ID marking components
Holographic anti-tamper ID tags, Anti-tamper QR-ownership codes, for covert marking RFID microchips backed by EU laws

All these ID markings and any manufacturers' serial numbers can be registered FREE for life on The National Mobile Property Register.

Best regards
Stan Ratcliffe
Director
RBS Ltd
01474 350 883

Important - I have contacted Stan Ratcliffe to ask if the lower price is available to mini owners outside of our club. When I get a reply I will let you know.
I personally can't see why there would be a problem. The more people that know about this offer means more sales for his company ;)

Edited by jamesmpi, 03 December 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#7 Jimmy Hat

Jimmy Hat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Think I may order one of those trackers, looks like a brilliant idea, although it isnt clear how you control it with your mobile phone...

#8 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

I heard back from the company and apparently the discount is available to any mini club listed in the miniworld magazine.

"Primarily the offer is available to those who are members of Mini clubs either listed by 'Mini World' magazine or are members of the FBHVC" (federation of British historic vehicles)

#9 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Having thought about it I have removed the password.

I personally don't think it is fair disclosing it to anyone and everyone as it falls out his terms and conditions. If you would like the discount then contact your club secretary

Edited by jamesmpi, 03 December 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#10 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Bit more info on the above incident i posted.
Another member from the club had his done on Friday night, they smashed his window, took stuff from inside. The car had a handbrake lock on, weather this put them off, or they got spooked. they didnt even try moving the car to my knowledge.
Some more stuff has been identified about the incident but with being a public forum etc im not going to go posting bits and pieces about which might be seen elsewhere.

#11 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

The council garage is probably just one thet they have managed to gain access to that didn't have a car in it. They were probably going to leave it in the garage for a while to see if anyone turned up to reclaim it - i.e. to establish whether or not it had a tracker fitted. If it stayed hidden there for a while then they would have felt safe to take it to their place.

Iain

#12 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thats true,iv heard of that before, but i just got the feeling it wasnt the same series of thefts as B'ham as Warwickshire is about 20-30 miles away or so

#13 miniyellowmini

miniyellowmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

so are they nickin the posh 70s and late 90s or the tatty 80s ones or just anythin thats minishaped?

Sounds like it's anything they can strip for parts. Not taking any chances my garage has now got extra security bolts fitted out of view on the inside. They would have to basically rip the door out the wall to get into it now and hopefully that would trigger the alarm and maybe draw just a little attention.

#14 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

The good news is, if a tracker is fitted and the police know it's there, they will sit and wait as long as it takes for someone to open that garage door. I have first hand experience with this. Unfortunately if it is a GPS tracker, some building are lined to specifically prevent mobile phone signals getting through. Just thought I'd make you aware of that in case the theives are proffessional. I believe the more expensive "trackers" don't use GPS.

#15 leroy26

leroy26

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: minisunleashed.com

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

so if i have it painted a lairy color it instantly becomes unatractive to parts theieves as none of the bodywork will be able to be easily resold??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users