Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

my local pub i go into has had there tool shed broken into it had big steel gate big thick chain and padlock. you look at it and you wouldnt think they would get in at all. they got in no problems looks like they had some big ass snips and just chopped straight threw! took the lot. these ******* ay stupid no more.

I get called on fairly regularly at work when people forget their bike lock keys. The cheap ones take two or three strokes of a hacksaw, the best take less than a minute with a cordless angle grinder. Other methods are needed to keep a car safe. At the end of the day it is all about time, they will nick it if they want it enough and have enough time but if you make it so difficult it isn't worth the risk they will move on. Multiple levels of security are best.

#32 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

yeh the gypsys come to my dads mates steel work there was old metal and some cars and if they wanted to get in the factory they could off had welders and etc and all they took was the car trailer lol. got them on camera said they are gypsys got no chance off tracing them or finding the trailer. i heard having a steel box over you padlock makes it better plus makes it hard to get to it.

#33 vegplot

vegplot

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

yeh the gypsys come to my dads mates steel work there was old metal and some cars and if they wanted to get in the factory they could off had welders and etc and all they took was the car trailer lol. got them on camera said they are gypsys got no chance off tracing them or finding the trailer. i heard having a steel box over you padlock makes it better plus makes it hard to get to it.

I had the contents of a shipping container stolen that had the padlock protected. It was cut off with oxyacetylene stolen hours before from a local farm.

#34 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thats true,iv heard of that before, but i just got the feeling it wasnt the same series of thefts as B'ham as Warwickshire is about 20-30 miles away or so

You say that but as of half an hour a go there was a Nuneaton vehicle rental lwb sprinter parked up behind the Mini Mini for a good 10mins, no one got out and the street is a dead end.

Just seams odd you'd hire a van from the other side of birmingham, then randomly park up in a side street in milton keynes eyeballing a mini then drive off.

Edited by 1984mini25, 25 January 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#35 minirage

minirage

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

so are they nickin the posh 70s and late 90s or the tatty 80s ones or just anythin thats minishaped?

Sounds like it's anything they can strip for parts. Not taking any chances my garage has now got extra security bolts fitted out of view on the inside. They would have to basically rip the door out the wall to get into it now and hopefully that would trigger the alarm and maybe draw just a little attention.

I can't find anything suitable for 2 piece, open out doors though

What about something like this

http://www.securityd...s_hd_double.php

Expensive but may be available elsewhere cheaper with a bit of searching. Also might be worth fitting an alarm to your garage if you've not got one already. At least then if someone tried to break in it would alert you or neighbours. Even the cheap ones I saw when I was looking are pretty damn loud.

Thank you for that - a reasonable price after spending £££ on my restoration

add some pins on inside behind hinges to stop hinge edge being levered out,

#36 minirage

minirage

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

as tam said its all about time, you'll be surprised how easy opening locks and doors is, problem being theives will go out their way to learn how to do it and will steal/make the tools required, I would never teach someone how to do it but this doesnt stop the guy working with me constantly looking over my shoulder then opening his mouth, I find the more expencive locks easier to get it to with the easy working parts where as the old cheap rusty jammed lock can be a bi@:h, the old bogans stole 30 odd cats from peoples cars at a wedding reception not far from me, 2 vans 2 gas axes and a few dirty pikes

#37 cliche

cliche

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

so are they nickin the posh 70s and late 90s or the tatty 80s ones or just anythin thats minishaped?

Sounds like it's anything they can strip for parts. Not taking any chances my garage has now got extra security bolts fitted out of view on the inside. They would have to basically rip the door out the wall to get into it now and hopefully that would trigger the alarm and maybe draw just a little attention.

I can't find anything suitable for 2 piece, open out doors though

What about something like this

http://www.securityd...s_hd_double.php

Expensive but may be available elsewhere cheaper with a bit of searching. Also might be worth fitting an alarm to your garage if you've not got one already. At least then if someone tried to break in it would alert you or neighbours. Even the cheap ones I saw when I was looking are pretty damn loud.

Thank you for that - a reasonable price after spending £££ on my restoration

add some pins on inside behind hinges to stop hinge edge being levered out,

hmm, I'll look into that thanks

#38 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Thats true,iv heard of that before, but i just got the feeling it wasnt the same series of thefts as B'ham as Warwickshire is about 20-30 miles away or so

You say that but as of half an hour a go there was a Nuneaton vehicle rental lwb sprinter parked up behind the Mini Mini for a good 10mins, no one got out and the street is a dead end.

Just seams odd you'd hire a van from the other side of birmingham, then randomly park up in a side street in milton keynes eyeballing a mini then drive off.

If you suspect the NVR van of anything let me know....I know the guys that operate that company and all their fleet are tracked and logged for the duration of hire.....we can find out who was driving at the time and what their business was in your neck of the woods.

#39 minirage

minirage

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

wouldnt it be nice for police/law to say 'hey find em, prove em, burry em' we had a number of vehicles go missing in our area all same make/model (this was also after same vehices had had parts robbed off them repeatedly for months before) everyone knew who it was, was also knowen for this and is minted and thinks hes a king but police wont touch him

#40 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

wouldnt it be nice for police/law to say 'hey find em, prove em, burry em' we had a number of vehicles go missing in our area all same make/model (this was also after same vehices had had parts robbed off them repeatedly for months before) everyone knew who it was, was also knowen for this and is minted and thinks hes a king but police wont touch him

Sadly this is typical, the police generally seem uninterested. You get the odd keen one bit most don't seem to care. But if you were go round and give the scumbag hassle they would come down on you like a ton of bricks.

#41 minirage

minirage

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Sadly this is typical, the police generally seem uninterested. You get the odd keen one bit most don't seem to care. But if you were go round and give the scumbag hassle they would come down on you like a ton of bricks.

we have one pcso who has closed his eyes a few times when a little scumbag gets a slap and I respect him more than the plod we get hiding in a bush with the speed gun

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users