#1 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Hi all,

Finally got an interview at a decent car place which I've been after pretty much since I left school. The interview is at 10.30 on Monday.

Just looking for any advice people can give me regarding the interview? I'm a confident speaker and seem to be quite like-able in person for some reason :P so I'm not worried about that. My grades arent the best but he says he's more looking for passion which is certainly something that I have. I was going to bring a couple of photos of my car and the work I've done on it to turn it into what it is from the pensioner mobile it was when I got it(was... Before I took it all apart again :P), does that sound like a good idea, they seem focused on prestige and performance cars so he will understand everything I explain to him about my plans and ideas.

Thanks,
Craig

Edited by Mini-Mad-Craig, 12 December 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Not a bad idea, they'll want someone who is personable and easy to get on with, but also willing to listen & learn so use it as an opportunity to illustrate that too.

#3 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

I had an Interview at BMW (Which I didn't get for a service technician apprenticeship) I have 4 GCSE's and a Functional Skills in ICT. Just speak clearly and confidently but not overly confident if that makes sense? Admittedly maybe I'm not the best person to give advice. But all the other candidates had completed courses in Motor Vehicle Maintenance at that point I was about 2 months into my course. I got a call from Ford this week asking to complete some tests so We'll see how that goes.

But yeah, speak clearly, look smart and mention that you have a mini :P. I did and it helped with my interview, they said that if I had the extra qualifications they would have hired me.

Good Luck Craig :)

#4 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

And know about the company!

#5 jb93

jb93

TMF Noddy Badge holder officially.

• Members
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

When I went for mine at Bentley they seemed very focussed on teamwork, and me giving examples of where I have demonstrated my ability to well as part of a team. Remember they'll always ask you to back your points up with examples, so have a think about that. They also wanted to know what I thought the key qualities are to be successful etc.

Well done and Good Luck! :gimme:

Edited by jb93, 12 December 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#6 rotherham

rotherham

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Find abit out about the company and have a couple of questions to ask what are relevant

#7 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

do your research, and let them know you know your stuff, without coming across as a know-it-all. also make a point of letting them know you're eager to learn.

other than that, just be yourself Craig- I kept applying for jobs with formal CVs and never heard back. I then re-wrote it, pretending it was a mate on facebook. Very informal and even made a few jokes..I soon got a job and offered several interviews :lol:

I'm not saying it will work for you, but I feel for me it did.

Edit: Also as above. Make sure you've got loads of questions to ask, even if you think you know the answers already. You want to keep the conversation going, create a kind of 'bond'. At the end of the day, the boss will go home and have tea with his wife and kids. They will all reflect on their days at work, and you want to be the guy that's stuck in his mind :thumbsup:

Edited by JustSteve, 12 December 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#8 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Remember that an interview is a two way process and that you are also interviewing them.

I've recently waded through a 80 or so CVs while trying to select 12 people for interview and I was amazed at the lack of hobbies and interests outside work. Your interests are a way of standing out from the crowd as it's likely that most of the applicants will have similar qualifications and experience. Put down the Mini and anything else that's possibly a little different.

Lastly, be honest. If you don't know the answer to a question don't BS, just tell them that you don't know.

From a number of the CVs I've read I assume that "Internet research" is now a hobby. :dontgetit:

and good luck.

Edited by SolarB, 12 December 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#9 RawlinsGTR

RawlinsGTR

Formally known as Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Just so we're all clear, Craig doesn't actually have a mini.

He's got a sick metro instead. Before anyone else tells him to mention his mini in his interview :gimme:

GOOD LUCK CRAIG :lol:

Edited by Dog., 12 December 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#10 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

I was going to bring a couple of photos of my car and the work I've done on it

I do this, I've got an album on the cars i've done. I take it to any interview i get. They always get excited looking through it, then ask why i want to join them, when i have more talent than they are looking for..........

Edited by charie t, 12 December 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#11 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I've read it all :-) Some very good advice ^^ run out of likes though.

In the interviews I've had so far I seem to get the interviewers on my side in personal way which ends in us going majorly off topic. When I went for my first interview for my first job we ended up talking about Minis, The Beatles, mods and rockers and the 60's for the majority of the interview... I got the job somehow too haha, It hasn't worked since though... :o :P

And yeah I won't mention my Mini, I think thats an instant way to not get the job :P

Posted Image

#12 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Dress smart even if it says casual, just loose the tie and jacket if need be.

Good luck anyhows

#13 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

I sat on interview panels for years and trust me, it's a tedious process from the other side. What you long for as an interviewer is for some refreshment from someone who has gone the extra mile and not just another candidate who's just saying the right things. So consider ringing the place, and explaining that you've got an interview and would like to have a look around and meet some of the staff beforehand, if someone could spare the time to speak to you. From an employers perspective, having someone pop in for an informal chat beforehand can give a much better idea of what the candidate is actually like, which is why so many job adverts now state "for an informal discussion about this position call......." So a good employer really should jump at the chance at meeting you beforehand.

Suggesting this also shows initiative and shows you are keen and motivated, more importantly it should also make you stand out hugely from all the other candidates. Secondly the fact that you want to come in and talk to people proves you are a personable individual and are able to communicate. Thirdly it will give you insight into the company/employer you are applying to, so when you get any questions about the company in the interview, you should not only be able to answer them in detail, but also you can make reference to your visit, who you met and what you learned from it.

Finally going there and talking to the staff will give you an opportunity to find out for yourself what sort of place it is, and whether you actually would want to work there. People often forget that the selection process is actually a two way street, and is as much for you, as it is for them. A number of times over the years I've applied for positions with organisations, only to find out at some stage during the selection procedure that I really wouldn't want the job even if they offered me it. On one occasion during an interview I even told the guy interviewing me that the interview was over! This particular guy was also the general manager and demonstrated such an abysmal attitude and zero people skills in the interview, that there was no way I'd actually want to work for someone like him.

Edited by AVV IT, 12 December 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#14 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hi all,

Finally got an interview at a decent car place which I've been after pretty much since I left school. The interview is at 10.30 on Monday.

Just looking for any advice people can give me regarding the interview? I'm a confident speaker and seem to be quite like-able in person for some reason :P so I'm not worried about that. My grades arent the best but he says he's more looking for passion which is certainly something that I have. I was going to bring a couple of photos of my car and the work I've done on it to turn it into what it is from the pensioner mobile it was when I got it(was... Before I took it all apart again :P), does that sound like a good idea, they seem focused on prestige and performance cars so he will understand everything I explain to him about my plans and ideas.

Thanks,
Craig

Evening Craig,

Your grades don't matter now, you have the interview so your CV and school grades have already passed there test - it's now simply about you (so don't worry about not having the best grades what so ever).

Remember you are not really applying for a job (I hope this makes sense...), it's more of a college interview, you are applying for the position to learn a trade, not to work. You will gradually become a worker over the coming months/years, but to start with, you are a learner.

So, show a willingness to listen and learn - you can tell instantly in an interview if a lad like yourself is going to listen and learn quickly and that is what they are looking for - they want to make money out of you as fast as possible, so if you don't show good listening skills in the interview they will rightly assume your not a fast learner and you wont get the apprenticeship.

Also, although enthusiasm is great be careful not to turn your enthusiasm into boring the interviewer to death about your Mini. There's nothing worse than spending a day interviewing eight 16 year old lads who think they know everything about a subject. Everyone who applies for an apprenticeship here at Optimise loves cars (it will be exactly the same at the place your applying) - and they all say the same things thinking it's the right thing to say (it is the right thing to say, but by 16:00 and for the 8th time, after 6 coffee's it's boring).

So make sure you have a second hobby to talk about (and be equally as enthusiastic about it).

Finally, let the person doing the interview, interview you, but also make sure your ask about the job - leave it until the end though, they will more than likely ask you if you have any questions. But if they don't ask them after they have finished asking you questions.

Don't bore them to death with long answers, give a nice shortish (30 second to a min or 2 answers, not one word and not 5mins) and leave your reply open to a question, so they want to know more (that way you can talk about the answer for 5 mins, but it's a 2 way conversation not a boring long answer).

This allows them to engage with you on a personal level and you can have a more relaxed friendly interview.

As I said at the beginning, you have passed the CV/school grade test so this is all about you and the more relaxed/friendly you make the interview the better chance you have.

Anyway, good luck,
Andy @ Optimise Automotive

#15 Wise Old Elf

Wise Old Elf

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Local Club: Club Lotus

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I have been on interview panels and for the last five or so years I now have to interview for contracts at least 5 times a month.

Nobody likes interviews but look at it as an opportunity to have a nose around even if you do not get the job. I had an interview at the Lotus factory years ago; I already had a job offer at Ricardo so was not interested in the job. But I was not going all that was for nothing so I asked for a tour at the end of the interview. It was an interesting tour and this gave me a chance to have a more informal chat on the way around,

Get as much as you can from the interview; remember if they offer you the job you will have to work with these people. So make sure you like them.

The best advice I would give is:
  • Research the company = this shows you are keen. They do not want to recruit someone who leaves after five minutes.
  • Get there 15 minutes early = I would not even interview people that were late. Its just good manners.
  • Dress smart = even if the job is for a road sweeper; I want to see that you have made the effort.
  • Be confident = if I am interviewing you then I have already rejected a shed load of rubbish CVs. I would only interview people that I was sure could do the job. So if you are being interviewed you are capable of doing the job.
  • Stand out from the crowd = You do not have to be the best mechanic in the world; you just have to be better than the other guys he is interviewing. If you are restoring a car and therefore are showing an interest in repairing cars in you spare time let the guy interviewing you know and take pictures to show him.
Good luck

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users