79 replies to this topic

#61 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

Yeh ive seen that. But I dont no for a fact.

#62 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

I just bought a couple of Cobra Classics and they're very VERY well made.

They really aren't IMHO. I've had some for the last few years and hate them with a passion. We now have some properly made replacements to fit during a bit of an interior overhaul to take place this year. They are terribly made, don't last long, fade in the sun and flex and bend all over while driving. That's after you've coped with fitting them to the terribly made Cobra subframes. Search for Cobra seats along with my name for a full rundown on the trouble I've personally had with them. If you've got some, expect them to last two years before they collapse.

#63 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:43 PM

I know how bad you feel about these seats dan, but maybe cobra booked up their ideas since you bought yours?

My subframes were spot on, fitted great and tilt, slide and lock perfectly. For me they have been a pretty much fit and forget part. They offer superior comfort, great driving position and i think give really good support! Mine don't flex or bend in the slightest.

Honestly - they look and feel pretty well made too, the material feels fairly tough and hasn't ripped, faded, worn or sagged in the 10 months or so i've had them fitted But i suppose only time will tell of the durability of them.

Another thing is the price - They have dropped price considerably if you paid £650 for a set with the seat cover. Mine only set me back £120 a piece including the subframe and a cobra rear seat cover would have cost me £100 on top of that - So really, now they're half the price.

Everybody whos had a ride in my car has commented on how good they look and how comfy they are.

Posted Image

#64 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:54 PM

what is the driving position like with them ? Where did you buy yours from mike ?

#65 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:00 PM

MMM, have you cut your subframes? My seats are still tilted really far back, dont know whether to cut mine down, incase its tilts the seats too much upright! I was thinking of leaving the seat unlatched and just driving it (so the locking bar is resting on the other bar) to see what its like when theyre more upright!!

#66 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:28 PM

I cut the first hole off and it's fine for me.
Don't drive around with the seat on top of the locking bar, it's very dangerous in an accident.

#67 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:21 AM

Yeah seriously don't try that sazal - If you have a crash you'll be through the windscreen and splatted on the road.

Yeah i cut my subframes down. Mine are mounted on the last hole. Meaning i cut 2 holes off, which makes them as low as they can go.

#68 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:28 AM

You are quite right of course, they may have improved. to be honest they couldn't have got a lot worse! I don't suggest you try this but if you grab the rear edge of the seat base and try to pull it from the frame you can find out just how well made they are. My rear seat was properly trimmed by Cobra, it's not one of the slip covers you can get now. Actually it's not anything now because it went to S2D to re-do and they binned the old Cobra trim.

Mine are cut down to the last hole too.

Edited by Dan, 18 March 2008 - 01:28 AM.

#69 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

There was a period in Cobra's manufacturing process where quality control was virtually non existant and they had a lot of complaints. Around about 2004/2005 I think. I was reading somewhere that they would happily replace your seat if it was made within a certain time period (and of course if you kept the sticker that goes on the bottom to prove this).

Here's mine:
Posted Image

The rear seat was made by Style to Design, not one of those cheap covers.

#70 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:20 PM

I got mine in '99. They were essentially worn out by 2002 but I've only just got round to replacing them and now they're really bad. That doesn't mean they aren't making good stuff now though as minimadmike says.

#71 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:02 AM

what are these like for lower back support ? Do you end up with a sore butt after long drives ?

#72 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:07 AM

Well here's what mine look like, fitted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to agree about the subframes, they aren't the most well-made things I've ever come across...

I'm only short (approx 5ft 6ish) but I find the driving position pretty good, I don't need a booster seat to reach the pedals anyway :ermm: !! The seats are really comfy. Looking back I wish I'd have got ones with headrests, but these are comfy and minimalistic enough so I like them :dontgetit:

I am going on a trip tomorrow and back Monday and I think in total I will be doing over 250 miles so I will let you know how they feel :P

#73 Its a mini thing

Its a mini thing

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

where you the best place to be to get a pair of these from with frames? id like some in black with the headrests.

#74 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:31 PM

Well here's what mine look like, fitted.

I am going on a trip tomorrow and back Monday and I think in total I will be doing over 250 miles so I will let you know how they feel :P

Cool so we will finally find out what they are like on long trips !

Ill be expecting your report for tuesday, mininum 800 words, paragraphs fully justified at 8 pm sharp :thumbsup: :dontgetit:

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 20 March 2008 - 05:32 PM.

#75 df13

df13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

where you the best place to be to get a pair of these from with frames? id like some in black with the headrests.

mini spares will sell them :lol:

David x.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users