80 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffreypang911

Jeffreypang911

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

I would first like to say that all the information in this post is personal experience and research done myself. If you decide to use these wheels, you are taking the risk just like I did. I am not responsible for any damage if you decide to use golf cart wheels on the road, and I am not telling you that you should. I am only providing information for YOU to make the decision yourself.

Hopefully this will put an end to the whole golf cart wheel thing.

A bit about the car testing the wheels: Its a 1994 SPI, 7.5 inch Minisport brakes and it has a B18 Honda motor fitted. Just as a reference, the Honda motors are about 150 LBS heavier than your A series.

Posted Image

For anyone who doesn’t know, there have been posts about golf cart wheels having the same bolt pattern as the Mini (4x4). They come in many sizes including 10x7. The rims in question are very similar to the Gianni Potenzas that costed a fortune, but many have seen the similarities of them and these golf cart wheel commonly called “Vikings” or “Interceptors”. In pictures they look identical, but of course the golf cart wheels are more than half the price.

Here are the wheels fitted to my car: http://gilbertgolfca...shed-p-428.html

I purchased these 4 months ago. I was skeptical but for the price they were worth a shot. They are rated for 500lbs each. You'd have to have a fat mini if it weighed any more than 2000lbs! Maybe with 4 adults in there. I don't have more than one passenger so this isn't an issue for me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I mounted the tires (165 Falkens) myself and I have to say they were a breeze. Even seating the bead, didn’t have to use no fire tricks. Just wiggled the tire around and *POP*. Id like to say that the stretch is so minor that the tire still budges outwards. Comparing it with fellow car enthusiasts who do the whole stance stretch deal, it isn’t even noticeable as a “stretch”. Got them balanced too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

First thing I did was go to a race track (quarter mile) and I did a slow test run with these. They held up very nicely, inspected for cracks and vibration. After a few slow runs, I pinned it and let loose. After a day of abuse, they were still intact. Just a side note, Falkens and 180 HP don’t mix! :P

Next test I did was on a road that I never go on near my place. The road is so bad, full of dips, pot holes and dents. I purposely avoided this road when I went anywhere. But in the name of science I drove along it a few times. My back shattered. But the rims did not. Even after some course words and a few bangs on the subframe the rims stayed together. I took them off and inspected each one carefully. And no signs of cracks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

After a month I ended up driving the car to Toronto, no problems at all. The wheels took the harsh roads with pot holes, dips, and street car rails just fine. My subframe on the other hand has a few scrapes!

Fast forward 4 months later, I drive the car to school almost every day. The weather has finally gotten cold so I put her away. She sits quietly with her new wheels, with no issues at all. For anyone asking, I did paint the wheels myself. I painted the middles gold. Id like to get them powder coated though. Maybe next year.

Posted Image

Hopefully that gives anyone who is thinking about it some clarification. Again, I am in no way saying you should or shouldn't use these wheels. Ive presented you my findings, and it is now your job to make a decision.

Cheers,
Jeff Pang

Edited by Jeffreypang911, 20 December 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#2 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Thank you for this detailed review Jeffrey. Appreciate it !

Edited by Driezzie, 20 December 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#3 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'm not a fan of 10's but this car could convert me!

#4 shabir

shabir

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

hmmm, may need to look in to this, anyone know any uk suppliers

#5 giner88

giner88

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

quick few seconds on google and http://www.golfcartt...rome_wheels.htm guess thats the same sort of thing. do Falkens in the USA all have that big white print on the tyre wall? i think its rad

#6 shabir

shabir

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

i checked that site, they only ship in USA. im loving the falken on the side aswell

#7 giner88

giner88

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

yeah i am more intrested in the tyres because i dont really think rims are all that expencive here in the UK, always seems to be decent deals on ebay.

Edited by giner88, 20 December 2012 - 08:42 PM.

#8 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

It's looks like he's just sprayed the logo on himself.

#9 giner88

giner88

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

well id at least spray yoko on the side then :D

#10 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

There is a person on here who imports these. He has set up a thread but I have no idea of what he is called!! Go Go gadget search!!

#11 Joe-C

Joe-C

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

There is a person on here who imports these. He has set up a thread but I have no idea of what he is called!! Go Go gadget search!!

this one:
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/241641-wheels-from-the-usa/

#12 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I was going to bring a few into the uk.....but I was told I had to take 100 wheels minimum.

Prices were great, the company has a solid reputation.....but 100 wheels was a bIt of a stretch financially .... But if there is enough interest I can start making contacts again... :)

#13 giacomo

giacomo

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

i'd deffinitely be interested roofless :)

#14 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

If they are that cheap when ordering 100 it might be easier to take 5 wheels / person, 1 spare.

100 wheels = 20 people

Edited by Driezzie, 21 December 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#15 conlad

conlad

Previously known as ct16mini.

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

What wheel nuts are used on these?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users