#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

This Tahiti blue Mini mentioned in links below was a former UK press car for BMW. It was used for shows and such. Then bought from BMW and shipped to USA in 2006.
http://www.northamer...er-classic.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Although this one is not one of the final 500 it is still exclusive in that it is part of the 2500 Final Edition Cooper Sports produced and this one was never released to the public! It had been in the possession of BMW UK and registered/titled as such and used as a Press/Events Car. It appears that BMW UK had maintained about a dozen Classic Mini’s that were used as Press/Events cars with some having MINI United 2005 Press stickers on them.

This one is one of three cars that were badged with the 40th Anniversary Monte Carlo insignia by BMW and used in the 2004 celebration events along with a green one and red one. Her sister the green one which is one number lower in vin and plate sequence was also available.

Here's an article that references said "37" car:
Baby makes two! Classics that is!

http://jcwgp.com/wp/...t-posts/page/9/

Posted Image

Does anyone know what happened to the other of the dozen BMW Classic Mini press cars mentioned?
(X522 OFC = not taxed since 01 11 2007)

Posted Image

Edited by mab01uk, 22 December 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#2 Lee_bash

Lee_bash

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

I'd imagine a few are in the museum at Cowley

Edited by Lee_bash, 22 December 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#3 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Cowley don't have them. At the moment the Natasha Caine Mini is the only later Mini that they have. They are in the process of getting T Building, where they have their Heritage Centre ready for next year's Centenary display and celebrations.

I'll ask around and see if anyone knows where these Minis may have ended up, but they certainly haven't been at Cowley for several years.

#4 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

registered in oxon - but that means nothing

#5 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'm a bit surprised that they are Oxfordshire registered as BMW register their cars in Bracknell although maybe they did it differently back in 2000.

#6 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'm a bit surprised that they are Oxfordshire registered as BMW register their cars in Bracknell although maybe they did it differently back in 2000.

FC is an oxford reg , as well as UD WL BW - Used to work in a PDI dept for the Oxford area - years ago

Edited by sledgehammer, 22 December 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#7 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

FC is an oxford reg , as well as UD WL BW - Used to work in a PDI dept for the Oxford area - years ago

You forgot JO! :lol:

#8 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

I knew I forgot 1 - or 2 ???

#9 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

I knew I forgot 1 - or 2 ???

Just the one - not that I'm sad or anything!

We currently own a JO and a FC and in the past we've has a BW (Metro). Just need a WL and a UD and then I'll had the complete set!

My family (uncle and cousin now) have LUD 1 and MUD 1 as my great grandfather was chairman of Oxfordshire County Council when those plates were issued and they were to given to him. Back then if never crossed anyone's mind hat they oiled be worth anything.

My great grandfather was also William Morris' financial backer and president of WRM Motors of Oxford, the company that first produced the Bullnose at Cowley :-)

#10 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Double post

Edited by Tanya, 22 December 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#11 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Is FC1 still the lord mayors car ? - or did they sell it to a football club ?

also nice bit of history Tanya ;o)

#12 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

Yes, Oxford City Council haven't sold off FC1 yet! However, FC1 is currently a Toyota Prius! >_< I have been in touch with the Council to offer them Milly, my early Maestro for the Lord Mayor to use to attend some of his official engagements next year instead of that God forsaken Prius! Anyway, the Leader of the Council thinks it's a great idea so Milly might be replacing FC1 for some of its duties next year, which marks the 100 years of motor manufacturer at Cowley. Without doubt, Milly will receive a warmer reception from the good folk of Oxford than the Prius would!

I've asked Jason (husband who completes his 25 years at Cowley next year) about the dozen press Minis and he doesn't know either, but will ask when he goes back to work in the new year. The Oxfordshire registrations are very odd, as before the split in 2000 for many years Longbridge registered the cars then after the split they are registered from Thorne, Doncaster (according to Jason) so how these ended up with Oxfordshire registrations is a bit of a mystery. I'm not aware of any other press cars from the Plant from the past 25 plus years having Oxfordshire registrations.

#13 hennasxi

hennasxi

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

I can find trace of eleven minis with numberplates in the X...OFC series, half of them were Se7en's by the looks of it, the rest Cooper Sports, maybe one Cooper.

I guess most were just sold on at some point, so could be anywhere, and I expect some owners may not be aware of the 'press' use of them. I certainly have not seen any pictures of them in the press!

#14 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Posted Image

Just out of interest.....this New MINI registered Y96 OBL above was an early press car registered on 08 06 2001, and another one of the early press cars Y286 OBL a red MINI was registered 23 05 2001 (Several photos of it in books & magazine road tests.) and BL is a Berkshire /Reading number so registered I guess by BMW HQ in Bracknell.
(According to the book 'New MINI' by Graham Robson the first few pre-production Mini's were built in January 2001 and the first production car on 26th April 2001. The MINI One and Cooper officially went on sale 7th July 2001).

Various spyshots from back in 1999 show some of the disguised New MINI prototypes (then registered as Rovers) out testing with N & P year letter prefix registrations but seem to have some very random regional numbers?

The DVLA website search gives the following details on these prototype MINI's :-
N735 FYB - Rover MINI - First registered 11 Sep 1998 - 1589cc - White - last taxed until 1 Mar 2000.
N279 NWS - Rover - First registered 11 Sep 1998 - 1589cc - Green - last taxed until 1 Sep 2000. (Export)
N216 FYA - Rover - First registered 21 Jan 1999 - 1588cc - Grey - last taxed until 28 July 2000.
N952 OMR - Rover - First registered 13 Oct 1999 - 1588cc - Black - last taxed until 01 Oct 2000.
P375 YAE - Rover - First registered 13 Sep 1999 - 1588cc - Black - last taxed until 01 Jan 2002.
P489 AHR - Rover - First registered 15 Nov 1999 - 1588cc - Black - last taxed until 01 Nov 2000.

Edited by mab01uk, 24 December 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#15 CraigieB

CraigieB

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

I take it the rover "MINI" was identical to the bimmer one just with rover badges?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users