21 replies to this topic

#1 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Can anybody guide me to making the throttle response on my Hayabusa engined mini more progressive and less aggressive when pulling away

#2 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

what setup have you got on it now?

#3 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

zcar supplied a cable from the pedal to the throttle body. It is connected to the original throttle body cable plate.

#4 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

there is nothing you can doing with the cable, but things like different length trumpets will make little differences, got a picture? its not gonna be cheap to modify the ecu, so things like slowing the airflow down will reduce pick time but also power unfortunately

#5 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

how about changing the cable connection plate on the throttle body to a larger one or a snail shaped (helical) shape so that the throttle response is less aggressive to pedal movement?

#6 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

it would still be the same ratio to your foot if im not wrong, so either way you put your foot down the throttle will still open at the same pace, tried not putting your foot straight down on the pedal :P ?? could upgrade the spring to a stiffer one to give a bit more force against your foot but then that shouldnt be the issue unless your foot is made of lead.

#7 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Thanks I will look into the spring upgrade and my leg is a prosthetic could be part of the problem :gimme: have a happy xmas

#8 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

could possibly be the problem, i stronger spring would still even be a good upgrade as you would get a bit better feeling where pedal is. your a very brave man driving a hayabusa engine'd mini with a prosthetic leg, i have a friend who races a 300bhp mgc who lost his left hand and has a contraption that looks like a ice cream scoop that clips to the gearstick. i absolutely shat myself when he took me round the track as an mgc really needs 2 hands on the wheel at all times and he's going flat out with one attached to a stick :ohno:

#9 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Like anything else it takes practice

#10 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

It would be an interesting electronics project but thought about a potentiometer on the throttle pedal and a servo on the engine end to open the throttle then a basic computor which will allow you to customise it to your personal preference?

#11 holmesy

holmesy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

a lot of work, expensive and not much room for failure

#12 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I wouldnt think it would be too hard really, a pot is only a variable resistor, so a simple system that if it sees X Volts, open servo Y degrees, with an arduino board that would be possible without too muchg knowledge in electronics

#13 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

An electronic alternative using servos to control the engine revs may be a good idea I will research what cars have this system and see if they can be adapted

#14 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

thats also another alternatvie, however with other cars most will be run through the ECU which would mean making your own controller anyway and more than likely end up being more expensive and difficult

#15 Minja

Minja

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

a snail shaped (helical) shape so that the throttle response is less aggressive to pedal movement?

This will definately work.
You will be able to make it so that the throttle moves less in relation to pedal movement intially and more to pedal mobement towards the end of the pedal travel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users