Photo

I Am Really Interested In This, Just Found On Ebay!.. Opinions?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 minimaxie

minimaxie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

One of our lot in the Essex Mini Club has a Matte Black Clubby van with a Vaux Redtop inside, believe me when I say it is QUICK! Looks mean as when it's in your rear view mirror following you trust me lol

#17 freaker

freaker

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: mini fun club belguim

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

he also says in the ad it is still registered as a 1000cc, wouldn't it need an iva test ?

freaker

#18 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Apart from I very much doubt it's actually a 1969 vehicle.

#19 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

It has the 1976/7-on switch panel and I bet a large single bolt front subframe so with that engine its unlikely to keep its reg plate and tax exempt status if IVA tested, DVLA won`t just change the motor size these days ( please correct me if i`m wrong but i`ve tried with motorbikes) and without the correct V5 its not legally insured and if you are mad enough to drive around pretending its a 1000 you may end up doing time in the big house for crashing into the back of someone like a friend of mine did :(

#20 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

I only live up the road from the guy selling this. Bought my reverse rims off him before xmas. Very nice car. From what i can see the scuttle to wing gap was "sealed" with filler rather than a PU flexable sealant hence thw crack. Didnt look too dodgy there. The rear arch he said is stone chips. It looks genuine when I seen it and the owner is a nice chap.

Dan

#21 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

It has the 1976/7-on switch panel and I bet a large single bolt front subframe so with that engine its unlikely to keep its reg plate and tax exempt status if IVA tested, DVLA won`t just change the motor size these days ( please correct me if i`m wrong but i`ve tried with motorbikes) and without the correct V5 its not legally insured and if you are mad enough to drive around pretending its a 1000 you may end up doing time in the big house for crashing into the back of someone like a friend of mine did :(

They didn't even make clubby estates in '69!!

This just bugs me, its a nice enough looking car, and its been ruined by some clever dick trying to save a few quid on road tax. Its still on a 998cc log book as well, that means you'll need to get dvla to change the engine size on the log book.

There is no way I'd spend decent money on something with history that dubious, if it were on it original plate then it would be worth a lot more in my eyes.

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

#22 craig whelan

craig whelan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Go onto Photobucket and copy the IMG link.

Mk1 Bootlids can be outrageous to be honest, your best bet is too buy a used normal boot lid for £20. Buy the conversion panel for 15, get someone in your area to weld the new panel on, get it painted and bobs your uncle.

Mk2 Lights new are £80 quid for the set.

Over riders are about £30

Wheels used are about £150-£200.

Arches are about £40...

mk2 lights are 80£!!!!!!!!!! I gave mine away :(

#23 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Ding a ling a ling

#24 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I wouldn't pay thy much for it, for one its a dodgy logbook, there will be issues with rust were that crack is I recon, and the vaux 1.6 isn't a brilliant engine, having said that it wouldn't be too hard to swap to 2ltr red top provided it's been done properly already

#25 craig whelan

craig whelan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I wouldn't pay thy much for it, for one its a dodgy logbook, there will be issues with rust were that crack is I recon, and the vaux 1.6 isn't a brilliant engine, having said that it wouldn't be too hard to swap to 2ltr red top provided it's been done properly already

most tax free minis you see on ebay nowwa days are on a dodgy log book!! ive seen a mpi mini on 69 plates!

#26 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

DVLA won`t just change the motor size these days ( please correct me if i`m wrong but i`ve tried with motorbikes) and without the correct V5 its not legally insured and if you are mad enough to drive around pretending its a 1000 you may end up doing time in the big house for crashing into the back of someone like a friend of mine did :(

They will if you have an engineers report confirming that a genuine engine swap has taken place, but you are correct, they won't just change the details on the V5 simply by you sending it off to them with details of a new engine number. Although it is a legal requirement to advise the DVLA of a change in any details, if you have advised your insurance company of an engine swap accurately then you should still be insured.

#27 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Go onto Photobucket and copy the IMG link.

Mk1 Bootlids can be outrageous to be honest, your best bet is too buy a used normal boot lid for £20. Buy the conversion panel for 15, get someone in your area to weld the new panel on, get it painted and bobs your uncle.

Mk2 Lights new are £80 quid for the set.

Over riders are about £30

Wheels used are about £150-£200.

Arches are about £40...

mk2 lights are 80£!!!!!!!!!! I gave mine away :(

Brand new...

#28 RyanBebo

RyanBebo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

After reading a few of these comments I think I will give it a miss!.. I'm still interested in a powerhouse mini but I am not sure which engine would be best to go for?..

#29 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Vauxhall 2.0ltr DOHC 16v
I had this engine in my mk2 astra GTE many moons ago when i was in college,even better when it is fitted to a mini

#30 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

After reading a few of these comments I think I will give it a miss!.. I'm still interested in a powerhouse mini but I am not sure which engine would be best to go for?..

Wise decison, if it wasn't for the v5 issues then it could be worth a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users