#1 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:22 PM

Can't believe someone would eat an orange then just leave the peel all over my bonnet, some people have no respect for a classic mini at all.............. :D

Seriously, I came home from work last night after the rain we had yesterday, and went out to the mini. Both sides of the bonnet nearest the wings looked like someone had poured brake fluid over them, the paint was rough and all blotched up. I got a bit closer and realised it was serious orange peel, so i peeled all the lacquer off and now it looks awful. Does anyone have any idea why it would just suddenly happen overnight?? (literally, it was fine on monday night when i parked it up). Its also happened on several small points on the scuttle and also a big patch above the fuel filler on the rear panel. I'm gutted. The paint was damaged after an asbestos fire last year when I was restoring it, and I was just getting it back to a good standard now this happens. Grrrr!!!

Could it have been the moisture in the air thats got under the lacquer and lifted it? Thats the only thing I can think of. Now, it obviously needs a re-spray, so i'm going to gut the car and send it off to be sprayed once i've put new wings, front panel, rear valenceand doors on it. If i almost completely stripped it (ie, interior, engine, front and rear subframes, windows, steering rack, lights etc), how much do you reckon a decent re-spray by a good company would cost? I was thinking a ball park figure of about £700 - £1000. This would have to include preparation and complete colour change too. Does that sound cheap??

Couple more things, my engine burns oil like a diesel, all the compressions are good (160 psi +), bores are immaculate, and its had new valve stem oil seals. I was reading an 'Autocar' review of the 1098cc Clubby from 1976, and they said it burned a pint of oil in about 300 miles. Mine is doing praps a bit more, but not much more. Do you think mine is ok? Its only noticeable in the dark when you look in your rear view mirror into another cars headlights on acceleration.

Also, I recently got some Grp2 arches for it, then bought some 5x10 Minilites with Yoko A008 165/70x10's on, and the rear arches rub when you go round corners or on bumpy roads, so much so its worn slits through the arches. Do you think the rubber springs need replacing because they've sagged? Is it worth fitting hi-lo's or shall I keep the standard trumpets? I quite like the idea of adjustables, and will fit negative camber bottom arms and rear brackets, as well as adjustable tie-rods, but just wondering what everyone else thinks?

Sorry to go on and on, but any help would be great.

Thank you

Tom

#2 Jamnog

Jamnog

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:32 PM

i blame lead free paint i think its the acid in the peal.

#3 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:40 PM

I had the problem of tyres rubbing on rear arch on cornering , it was worn radius arm bushes , like having casters on the back , rear wheel steering !
as for the paint , have you upset someone ? usualy it takes some powerfull chemical to remove paint , as you said brake fluid or stripper , orange peal is a term used in the trade to describe a poor paint finnish that is lumpy , it is caused by a number of things , paint too thick , too low spray presure , thinners too fast and many more but this does not cause peeling of the paint .
we would expect to fit the panels and re-spray for £1000 (but not including the panels cost)

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:40 PM

The top layer of lacquer has actually peeled off, leaving just bare paint underneath. It always had a small amount along the side of the bonnet, but never this much. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

If i fitted all the panels myself and roughly rubbed it down, how much roughly do you think it would be for a respray from bronze to white including interior and underneath?

Never considered the radius arm bushes, my friend drove it who normally drives a modern car (won't say which), and he reckoned it was steering from the rear slightly. I think when i strip it i'll fit a new rear subframe and recon radius arms, it needs them both really anyway.

Tom

#5 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:06 AM

If only the laquer is ruined, there is a chance you don't need a respray. If the paint is fine, you can get away with rubbing down the laquer everywhere, and just spraying more laquer on to the whole body. I see no reason why that shouldn't work.

As for burning oil, I say if the car is running fine and has power, then don't worry about it.

Suspension problems on the back can include knackered knuckle joints (i am experiencing this problem). In my case this causes the car to slightly tilt to one side. They cost 5 pounds per pair (need a pair to do the rear) and aren't very hard to change. If you take a day to re-do your whole rear suspension (new bushes, new knuckle joints, and perhaps some extras such as camber brackets or hi-los), your car will thank you :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users