#1 craigr91

craigr91

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Local Club: nwminiclub

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

i have the chance of getting a low mileage 'T' reg vauxhall corsa 1.7 diesel, just wondering if anyone knows if its at all possible to have this in a standard round nose and some measurements will be great so i can give em to the guy who ill be doing it with.... :) just a lil research atm and if its a yeah ill grab the car :)

Thanks, Craig

#2 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

People have talked about it but I've never seen it actually done.

Most people change the inlet manifold on the petrol engines or modify the bulkhead so I think the diesel engine will have the same problem.

The 1.7 from the corsa's are none turbo right? If that's the case they only produce about 57bhp. For all the hassle it would be I would just put in a 1275 a series. Your gearing will be better with a mini gearbox then if you use the diesel.

If its the x17dtl like my astra they only produce 68 bhp. Decent amount of torque but will only really work if its geared correctly and this may be difficult. Most people use a diesel gearbox on a petrol engine to sort out the gearing for 12" wheels.

The external dimensions for the gearboxes are the same so the gearbox mounts on a all speed frame will fit but not sure about the engine mount.

I would suggest you get a tape measure and physically measure both the mini and the diesel engine. Its the only way to know.

It will be interesting to see if you pull it off.

#3 burnz24

burnz24

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

thinking of where the two gearbox mountings are the 3rd one must be in the same place (where the power steering pump is on the petrols, however with a diesel engine you have to work harder than us 'petrolheads' inorder to squeeze the other parts in, such as the diesel pump as i think these have a crank driven pump, meaning that will most likely be in the way of the 3rd engine mount.
if your after pure power then dont bother, if your after the main thing people praise a diesel for mpg and torque go ahead, ive certainly never seen/heard of one being done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users