74 replies to this topic

#31 rane

rane

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

looking over the Rover Workshop manual, you have your plug leads in the wrong order. On the coil pack, i seem to remember the poles being marked with cylinder numbers...

Right. I printed this thread as a reference which seems to indicate both my order and the manual order is incorrect?

http://www.theminifo...-mpi-coil-pack/

#32 4V8s

4V8s

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

the arrangment in your photo of your car is the same as mine and should work fine. It will be the same as in the link you sent, if you swap 2 with 3 and 1 with 4 to get as per the linked alternative, that will do the same thing, because there are twin coils so as long as 2 and 3 are off the same coil, and likewise 1 and 4, it will work.

The rover workshop manual is wrong, unless there happened to be a version of the coil pack with that arrangment. Try it and see! I did, and may car would not run at all!

I think whats clear for you is that if you defo have no spark from leads 2 and 3, then it wont matter about the firing order - your coidl pack is faulty almost certainly. But I would check the multiplug connector and wiring to make sure clean contacts and no broken wiring from the ecu. Maybe do a continuity test just in case. becuase its possible the firing signal from the ECU is not reaching the coil that operates plugs 2 and 3.

#33 rane

rane

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

Small update. Going with the coil pack. We've done all the tinkering we can without buying parts. Fingers crossed. No change. Thanks for all the help so far.

#34 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

yep!! coil pack is still where my moneys at.......
until proved otherwise of course :)

#35 rane

rane

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Thanks. It was just recently replaced and that's why I was dragging my feet... per previous owner. However, I'm not sure of anything about the job or if they even used the right part. Especially if they were assuming the engine was an SPI - would that make a difference?

Edited by rane, 07 February 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#36 rane

rane

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Additionally, it sounds like replacing the ECU may be quite a challenge. Being in the CONUS and having the engine immobilizer seems to create quite a difficult group of circumstances from what I've read.

#37 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Thanks. It was just recently replaced and that's why I was dragging my feet... per previous owner. However, I'm not sure of anything about the job or if they even used the right part. Especially if they were assuming the engine was an SPI - would that make a difference?

you have an MPI engine, without doubt

#38 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Additionally, it sounds like replacing the ECU may be quite a challenge. Being in the CONUS and having the engine immobilizer seems to create quite a difficult group of circumstances from what I've read.

i have no idea what this means

#39 rane

rane

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Right, but the previous owner thought SPI, so I'm wondering if they used an SPI coil pack when they replaced it...

#40 rane

rane

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

i have no idea what this means

Sorry, because the coil pack had been replaced we were thinking possibly an ECU problem. Everything I've read and all the help from forum members seems to indicate they are fairly reliable. And that if it has to be replaced it would be difficult since it's not a part common in my part of the world and because the engine immobilizer/alarm system would likely have to be replaced as well.

Edited by rane, 07 February 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#41 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

Right, but the previous owner thought SPI, so I'm wondering if they used an SPI coil pack when they replaced it...

no, they are not compatible
see here for the spi coil - http://www.minispare...ty=pb&pid=38675

and here for the MPI coil - http://www.minispare...rch/classic/mpi coil.aspx|Back to search

the mpi uses the coil for tacho, this, combined with your other issues, lead me to the coil. I am not 100% that the spi doesn't use the same system for the tacho.
but the coil in your photos is most definitly an MPI one.

#42 rane

rane

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

no, they are not compatible
but the coil in your photos is most definitly an MPI one.

Very good to know. I couldn't find a part number. Thanks!

#43 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

Are you sure the rev counter is driven off the Mpi coil? Wasted spark coils fire twice as often, so you'd need a different tacho or some extra circuitry. Maybe you could jerry rig something to swap the LT supplies over between the 1-4 and 2-3 coils to see if the problem also swaps over?

#44 rane

rane

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

Again, not knowing the history, I'm concerned the ECU is wrong but am trying the coil first just because it's simple and (although not exactly cheap) cheaper than ECU. I've been reading all evening and still don't understand why my ECU part is MKC104291 but chassis number >14000.

#45 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Even if it was the wrong ecu I reckon it'd fire both sides of the coilpack - or none at all. If you want to avoid splashing out on an unneeded replacement coil pack try swapping over the outer 2 wires on its connector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users