3 replies to this topic

#1 stumpy

stumpy

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:34 PM

[FONT=Arial] :D Hello - hope someone can help here. We are trying to compress a front spring on a 1994 Rover Cooper. We have a compressing tool from the 1960's but the thread is stripped where it engages with the spring. Remaking tool is not a problem but we do need to know what the thread is as we cant get the spring out!!! Please can someone help as we are told that the car is 'on the cusp' of metriciation - is this the case and what are the two threads it could be??? Please help - my hi-lo fitting depends upon this!

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:31 PM

You can get it out without using the compression tool, take the suspension top arm off and it will come out, it takes some doing, but I have done it a couple of times like this. Putting the Hi-Lo's in is the same in reverse, just set them to as low as they'll go first.

#3 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:38 PM

if you buy a new cone compressor, they come with both metric and imperial threads, they aren't to expensive and would probably be less hassle than re-cutting the thread on the old one.

#4 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:53 PM

Ahh...cheers rich :grin: am thinking of removing mine to do a good paintjob on the subframe but didn't want to have to buy a cone compressor just to do a paint job. The subframe will be off the car so i should have the acess to get the top arm off easily enough. Thats the way i did it on my back subframe when i couldn't separate the trumpet from the cone, i just took the whole radius arm off, never thought of doing this on the front though.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users