Tucker

#17 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:41 AM

Never ever try welding without a mask, Ark eye is when the bright light BURNS part of your eye. Very bad for you.

Dont bother with a big bottle unless you plan on rebuilding a car a month. If you correctly adjust the gas rate a disposable bottle will last for ages. I have in the past used them and been able to seam weld a full shell on less than one bottle.

As Doug says practice is the best. I would start on say 3 mm steel, its much easier to weld thicker metal, till you get the hang of it then try smaller stuff. Don't use old steel buy some new, 3 mm flat bar is about £3 for a 7 meter lenght.
You local panel suppiler will sell you the correct size sheet of steel for body repairs.

The main thing is to make 100% sure that whatever you are welding is clean, all the rust and dirt cleaned/ground off.

Siggy

#18 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:42 PM

the other usually free source of metal is your local sunroof fitting centre!

we had to put a few patches on my mates racer over the winter, went to the local sunroof place, and he was very helpful, just said take as much as you want!

#19 robmeeks

robmeeks

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 06:41 PM

cheers bud

#20 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:29 PM

I only have a cheap hand held mask and its a pain in the arse because you always have to have one hand holding the mask. If your on a tight budget at least get a head mask so you have an extra hand to support the torch if necessary.

Machine Mart sell wrap around head masks for less than £10, a small price to pay for keeping your eyes safe!

#21 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:05 PM

i cant enforsice enough on wearing a mask, when i started welding, the trill and error method, i wa using an arc welder, lost count of teh times i was in hospital with arc eye, not worth it your site is the best thing you have!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users