37 replies to this topic

#16 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

Why would you create a tv persona that made you out to be a bit of a knob.????

#17 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

Lots of money same reason everyone else does it.

#18 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

But most people put the guy down and say he spoils the programme. How is that attracting veiwers and money ??

#19 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

Whist I appreciate its not for everyone, its what has made the programme so succesful, to the extent that the yanks are buying it. For example, a good mate of mine thinks Fast&Loud is the bees knees mainly due to Richard Rawlings

Me....? I think he's knob

One mans noise is another mans music as they say.

#20 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

Why would you create a tv persona that made you out to be a bit of a knob.????

Grow up

#21 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

Just asking...

Edited by THE ANORAK, 08 March 2017 - 06:04 PM.

#22 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

blimey...that escaleted ! :blink: :D

#23 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

Telling me to grow up because i asked a question... too right it escalated !!!

#24 Pistonbroke66

Pistonbroke66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

calm down dear...its just a car forum !! :P

Back to the thread though, there seems to be a common theme in most british based car programmes of late to appeal to the 'non car people' so to speak. car SOS has Tim Shaw playing silly buggers, For the Love of Cars has Philip Glennister doing I dont know what and so on. Mike clearly 'developed' his role which added to the shows success.

#25 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

I agree these shows aren't about the minority motoring enthusiasts now but more mainstream so have been dumbed down and jazzed up to appeal to a wider audience. For my tastes the very early shows that were about bringing slightly ropey old motors 944, mx5, etc back to life were far more appealing then the 30k yank tanks,

Edited by dyshipfakta, 08 March 2017 - 05:08 PM.

#26 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

I agree these shows aren't about the minority motoring enthusiasts now but more mainstream so have been dumbed down and jazzed up to appeal to a wider audience. For my tastes the very early shows that were about bringing slightly ropey old motors 944, mx5, etc back to life were far more appealing then the 30k yank tanks,

And really lucky that they can magically 'borrow' all the expensive kit to do a job cheaply.

#27 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

im not having ago a Mike B, far from it, but unlike someone like Keith Lemon who is a made up character, Mike is playing a version of himself.

i would have thought that over the years the bad feedback would lead to the fake persona being toned down a bit. who actually makes the decision to create the fake persona, is it mike or the production company ??

i disagree that it adds to the appeal of the program, or rather i cant believe that anyone would enjoy the program any less without the play acting.

as for car SOS, well that's 100 times worse. a good program spoilt by the messing around.

people say its aimed at a different audience but WHO ?? who really believes that all this improves the program ???

#28 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

I dont hesitate in calling Mike Brewer a knob, because he clearly is one of the highest order, but I watch the programs and cringe at the crass pointless "so called" comedy parts of them to see the cars and the often very good restorations that they are turning out nowadays (Unlike that which was done to the Mk1 which is the original subject of this thread).

Sadly a technical, factual, sensible car restoration program would not appeal to the mass market and non petrol head car enthusiast so it simply wouldnt be made.

#29 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

I dont hesitate in calling Mike Brewer a knob, because he clearly is one of the highest order, but I watch the programs and cringe at the crass pointless "so called" comedy parts of them to see the cars and the often very good restorations that they are turning out nowadays (Unlike that which was done to the Mk1 which is the original subject of this thread).
Sadly a technical, factual, sensible car restoration program would not appeal to the mass market and non petrol head car enthusiast so it simply wouldnt be made.

Actually agree with some of what you've said about what's viable as a mass market product.

#30 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

The only devent car show was 'A Car is Born' and 'An MG is born'. There was also that one where they did the three Italian Job Minis.

Fuzz needs to ditch that Tim idiot, Edd needs to ditch Mick and then Fuzz, Edd (and Paul)need to team up with Mark Evans and do a proper car show.

Edited by greenmini1275, 08 March 2017 - 08:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users