37 replies to this topic

#31 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

The only devent car show was 'A Car is Born' and 'An MG is born'. There was also that one where they did the three Italian Job Minis.

Fuzz needs to ditch that Tim idiot, Edd needs to ditch Mick and then Fuzz, Edd (and Paul)need to team up with Mark Evans and do a proper car show.

I would watch that all day long! I tend to only watch the 2nd and 3rd parts of wheeler dealers and I can't watch car sos at all. I just don't understand the need for the stupid antics, I get that they're trying to appeal to a larger audience but lets be honest, nobody is watching any of these shows that isn't really into cars so I wish they'd just cater to their audience and cut out the *******

#32 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

Yes I know Mike and Ed. Mikes pretty clued up and not the person you see on the tv or at shows. He's a decent chap to be fair and what you guys see is a TV 'personality'.
Ed's obviously very good at what he does now but there's a huge amount behind the scenes you guys don't get to see too.

Neither are "fick". They have a structure for the show and it has to work to get the tv companies to buy into them. Often the guys are tied to a platform even they can get frustrated with.

It's an entertainment programme. These guys don't make a living from these cars and there's a team of people behind it all now. Eds wife is very clued up and manages a lot of the behind the scenes stuff.

Yes it's very Americanised and there's good reason for that. It sells globally.

If you want real life then wheeler dealers isn't it. Don't judge the guys on what you see on the tv etc. It's acting a role.
Eastenders isn't real life either lol

I've met them both when I appeared on an episode about 3 years ago and can confirm what minihobbymini is saying they are not really like their on screen persona, although being a northerner I took the pish out of mike for his accent. They are genuine car guys and Paul 'the mate' was also good company.

Its been a great programme but i'm saddened by its current americanisation as well.

Not sure what you mean by "Americanisation,"  sounds negative though.  WD's went corporate, don't know about "American."

The show was trailing off before coming to the US.  What show stays fresh for over 10 years?

#33 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Not negative, just a reflection of other American programmes and the format they follow. It's a format that sells worldwide. How's that negative?

The follow up post to mine where he says he's saddened by it is a reflection of his own British viewing preferences. Try not to take it personally.

Edited by minihobbymini, 30 March 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#34 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

The only decent car show was 'A Car is Born' and 'An MG is born'. There was also that one where they did the three Italian Job Minis.

Fuzz needs to ditch that Tim idiot, Edd needs to ditch Mick and then Fuzz, Edd (and Paul)need to team up with Mark Evans and do a proper car show.

This was Mark Evans reply below to an email asking if he had thought about doing 'A Mini is Born'

"I have received loads of emails from fans of my Is Born shows asking what's next. Sadly, Discovery Real Time have said that its audience isn't after my kind of workshop series any more, so there are no new projects on the horizon. Really sorry. I would love to do more......

The 'Is Born' Series are available on DVD......sadly Discovery cannned the series before Mark Evans could feature the Mini as a workshop project. :(
https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B0002Z9X6K

Mark Evans stripped down and restored 3 tatty Rover Mini Coopers into Red, White & Blue Italian Job lookalikes in the TV series "Dream Machines" in 2003. The registrations of 2 of the cars were H753 CAP and J467 VDF, all 3 were given away to one phone in prize winner at the end of the show.

lifestyle-tv.jpg

Pic of Mark Evans with the Dream Machine Italian Job Minis

A Mini is Reborn thread (2008).....

http://www.theminifo...is-born-reborn/

Edited by mab01uk, 30 March 2017 - 07:58 PM.

#35 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

Well TV profucers don't actually know what we want to watch, so I'm not surprised they wouldn't want a show to be actually popular.

#36 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:16 AM

You've only got to watch lizard lick towing to see how they can ruin things. WD worked for many years and love it or hate it the show had a global following. Cost cutting and profit chasing will kill the show.
No disrespect to Ant but the show is unlikely to be as good without the natural flow between ed and mike. It's like remaking Topgear with new presenters... wonder how that would work out? Lol

Edited by minihobbymini, 31 March 2017 - 07:17 AM.

#37 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:33 PM

I thought this thread had been bumped by the person who owned the car... *yawn*

#38 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

Not negative, just a reflection of other American programmes and the format they follow. It's a format that sells worldwide. How's that negative?

The follow up post to mine where he says he's saddened by it is a reflection of his own British viewing preferences. Try not to take it personally.

So, "Americanisation" often saddens people, but in a positive or neutral way.   Thanks for clearing that up.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users