Photo

Wiper Motor Wiring & Operation (Round Type)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TimWright

TimWright

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hi guys,

I'm just having issues getting my wipers working on slow and flick positions and wondered how I test the stalk and motor.

I have tested the connector that plugs into the motor I have also taken apart and cleaned the park switch.

I have a permanent 12v to the green on pin4
I get 12v when the switch is moved to slow and flick positions on the red - pin5
I get 12v when the switch is in fast position on blue - pin3
I'm earthed on the G pin
I'm not sure what to test for on the brown wire - pin2

Nothing seems to change when I press and release the park switch.
What I'm really wanting to know what to test next, how does the brown wire on pin2 work?

Also
What should I be getting out of the three pins on that go directly to the motor ( blue red yellow)
I'm guessing its blue is earth,
When slow or flick selected I should get 12v to red.
Then on fast either 12v to red & yellow or just yellow?

Thanks

Edited by dklawson, 20 February 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I have only worked with the round wiper motors on a couple of non-Mini cars. This is an area where color codes changed from make to make so I will not mention wires by color.

You said...
  • I have a permanent 12v to the green on pin4
  • I get 12v when the switch is moved to slow and flick positions on the red - pin5
  • I get 12v when the switch is in fast position on blue - pin3
  • I'm earthed on the G pin
  • I'm not sure what to test for on the brown wire - pin2
That is all good. Pin 2 is the park wire switch. I am not sure I understand this correctly so please double check behind me and follow what others say. I THINK what happens is the power going in on Pin 4 passes through the park switch on the motor and back to the dash switch on Pin 2. When the dash switch is in the OFF position the switch connects Pin 2 to Pin 5. That lets the motor run at low speed until the park switch opens with the wipers in the "down" position. You MIGHT see Pin 2 rise to 12V while the wipers are running and the park switch is closed. However, with the wipers in their rest position I don't think you will find any voltage on Pin 2.

If you found 12V on pin 3 with the wiper switch in the FAST position the problem is likely to be in the motor. The FAST circuit has no tie in with the park circuit. It either works or doesn't.

#3 TimWright

TimWright

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Thanks doug I will take a look again tomorrow.

Thanks

#4 TimWright

TimWright

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Just to close this off as i'm all fixed now ;-)

Ok so I had no slow speed, park or single flick. But i did have fast speed.

To test the motor is functioning correctly all you actually need to do is connect an earth directly where the blue wire connects to the motor ( or test that the blue is earthed okay and use that ) and then connect a good 12v feed to the motor where the yellow and red "ONE AT A TIME" wires connect to the motor. If its all okay you will see the wiper motor spin and be able to notice the speed difference between the red and yellow connectors.

The main test I did was on the connector that plugs into the motor, if you look carefully you will see each pin is numbered on the conector.
1 = earth (black)
2 = park link (brown)
3 = fast (blue) 12v when wiper switch is in fast position
4 = ignition live (green) 12v when ignition switch is in fast position
5 = slow (red) 12v when switch is in slow position

now 1,3,4,5 all came back okay.
The vital bit i missed was to put the multi meter on buzzer mode and test that when the wiper switch is in the off position that pins 2 and 5 connect together.

I missed this and dived straight into cleaning the park cam switch, then took apart and cleaned the wiper switch. I'm glad I have done it now but I didn't need to!

Now after all that effort this is where my problem was, at the end of the steering column where the wiper switch connects into the harness under the dash, the bottom right pin of the harness side connector was black/burned. This stopped 12v coming back from the park switch and passing back through the wiper stalk and then back to the motor.

I hope that makes sense!

After looking around and not being great at reading wiring diagrams i found the following diagram which makes it all clearer.

http://homepage.ntlw.../wipermotor.htm - I have also taken a screenshot and uploaded that here just incase the url gets removed.

also I wanted to say thanks to Doug too!

Attached Files

#5 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Can that diagram, or even this entire thread, be pinned, as it is bound to be extremely useful to others?

Edited by tiger99, 19 February 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

This topic has been moved to the FAQ section on Tiger's request.

The topic has also been renamed to give it a more general description.

EDIT: As of February 24, 2013 there were still a couple of other good articles online related to the Lucas round wiper motor. The link below includes more information that may be useful including identification of switch terminals.
http://homepage.ntlw...stler/wiper.pdf

Edited by dklawson, 24 February 2013 - 07:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users