#32 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:20 AM

Thanks guys, very kind words.

Im very pleased I bought a welder and gave it a go, I recon that I have at least broken even with the cost of the equipment / paying someone to weld her up!

well the mini now has an mot! it failed slightly on headights that suddenly deceided not to work and a dodgy handbrake, which a leaky wheel cylinder was the cause.

Now I need to paint/stone chip the repairs, give it a good service, add my sound proofing and check its all perfect berfore heading to france!

Ad

#33 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:20 PM

Coming along nicely, my inner sill went in the same place as yours. As everyone else is saying your welding looks apot on, I had never picked up a welder before Christmas and Ive had ot do a load on my mini since but its well worth it. Just had my MOT so I am ready for another 12 mths of driving and my full respray that I will be donig from next week onwards

#34 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

Thanks baldspeed, its very rewarding when you do nice weld. Good luck with your spraying hope it goes well.

I got back from 10 days camping with my girlfriend yesterday night. I worked out we drove around 1600 miles! far more than I thought!

All in all it was great but, on the first day in france i deceided it would be a good idea to raise the suspension at the back as it was scraping all the time. Was all going nicely untill I put the last wheel back on and I snapped a wheel stud! I couldnt believe it as I was hopping mad!

We were very lucky and found a rover dealer who had some 2nd hand bits and fixed it for 25 euros!

Before we left, im not sure the mini wanted to go, because the starter solinoid broke on the sunday we were sailing! After a panic I found a metro at the scrappy and lobbed that on and we were away......but........

The drivers window deceided to fall off the mechanism as the brackets were rusty! aaahhhhhh

Bit of gaffer and glue and we had a window that was up, and it stayed like that as I didnt want to risk it falling again.

Apart from that lot, it was lots of fun in the sun!

Id put some pics up but im off to Polzeath in cornwall in the mini tomorrow surfing so I will pop some pics up when im back.

Ad

#35 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:08 PM

sounds liek you're well aquainted with the quirks of mini ownership now mate! my clubby is coming along, I paid a welder to do some work on mine but it's very good,... however having seen your weld,. I'm tempted to give it ago, I know how to do it etc but have never tried. I'm very very tempted next time I need some doing.

your welding looks lovely and solid mate, nice and neat!

#36 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

sounds liek you're well aquainted with the quirks of mini ownership now mate! my clubby is coming along, I paid a welder to do some work on mine but it's very good,... however having seen your weld,. I'm tempted to give it ago, I know how to do it etc but have never tried. I'm very very tempted next time I need some doing.

your welding looks lovely and solid mate, nice and neat!

Yep, I think I know my mini inside out now after 7 years of ownership!

My welds were good enough for the repairs, although im a bit of a perfectionist ( must be my architectural training!) and I would have liked to butt weld all of the repairs, but hey next time!

Its really worth buying a welder and leaning with mini ownership I think. Its very pleasing to do the majority of the work on it yourself!

Good luck with your clubby retro 10's

#37 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi all,

Well its been quite a while since I last updated this mainly because nothing has happened! The mini has been tucked up in its garage waiting untill I finish uni.

I put it in for its MOT today and I couldnt believe it passed! Just needed a track rod end doing. It still had mot but it runs out in august when im going on holiday in it to germany, so I wanted to know if it needed welding now!

Next up is rebuild the gearbox and finish my extensive sound proofing program which includes alot of rubber!!

Ad

#38 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hello TMF,

Its been a very long time since I posted in the project page. My mini has been stored off the road since 2009 as I have bought a 'project house' which has been sapping all my time and money!

The mini now needs a fair bit of welding, moslty both sides of the floorpan, inner and outer sills need to be replaced. I am contemplating attempting this myself but I am also getting a few local quotes for the work.

Here is a link to some pictures of the current overall condition of the mini. Poor thing.

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

#39 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

Hi all,

Thought I would give a bit of an update after many years of the mini being off the road.
The bodywork is finally being restored.
It hasn't fared well being stored under cover for since I parked it up in 2009, but it is being brought back to life!

I very almost parted with it, but decided I should give it the love it deserves!

I'll put pictures up as it progresses. I hasten to add I'm not doing the work, it certainly wouldn't happen this quickly (or as well) if it were me!

Attached Files

#40 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:16 PM

Hi all,

Restoration is progressing well, or should I say reconstruction!
So for, the only panel not touched is the roof!

Thankfully, there is no more rust to discover.
Unbelievable amount of the car was cut away.

Attached Files

#41 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:48 PM

Hello all,

As you can see, this is a very old project!

I still own the mini, but after being stored outside for 6 years, it was very rotten.

I then had the shell restored by Chris Spennewyn a couple of years ago and that’s pretty much how far I got!
I now have two small children, so time is pretty limited, but today the shell was moved to a garage close to home from being stored at my folks place, so there’s some hope I could start to piece it together.

Here’s a pic what it looks like now. I’ll upload some of the mid resto pics too.

Attached Files

#42 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:43 AM

Do love a surf blue mini this looks a decent shell now, like you say its scary to see how much gets cut out sometimes.

#43 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:53 PM

Thanks, yes it was terrifying the amount cut out.
The rot was extensive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users