#16 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Well everyone is asking all these things like, air locks and checking thermostats but, no-one has bothered to check if you have twisted the knob for the heater controls to Hot properly.

#17 its_courts28

its_courts28

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

How doi do that, il do it now

#18 its_courts28

its_courts28

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Forgot to mention there's no water going into the matrix

#19 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Does it have a head mounted heater valve or an inline one?

#20 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

No water going into the matrix well there's your problem. So check the stat, check the heater valve again. So back to my question does your car reach operating temperature.

#21 its_courts28

its_courts28

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Does it have a head mounted heater valve or an inline one?

Not sure what you mean sorry

#22 its_courts28

its_courts28

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

No water going into the matrix well there's your problem. So check the stat, check the heater valve again. So back to my question does your car reach operating temperature.

How do I check those? I don't know my way round the engine bay

#23 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

To start with does your car reach operating temperature. Does your temperature gauge move??

#24 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

The Mini heater is not an air blend unit like most current cars have. There is only hot water in the unit when you open the valve to let it flow (and if hot water is available from the engine obviously). The valve is controlled by a control cable on the dash. On cars built up to 1988 the valve was mounted directly to the engine and the valve was open while the knob on the dash was pushed in. On later cars the valve is mounted in the heater hoses and is open when the knob is pulled out. You haven't said anything about the car or how old it is so it's not all that easy to help. All Minis are not the same.

#25 its_courts28

its_courts28

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

To start with does your car reach operating temperature. Does your temperature gauge move??

I don't have a temperature gauge so I wouldn't know

#26 its_courts28

its_courts28

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

The Mini heater is not an air blend unit like most current cars have. There is only hot water in the unit when you open the valve to let it flow (and if hot water is available from the engine obviously). The valve is controlled by a control cable on the dash. On cars built up to 1988 the valve was mounted directly to the engine and the valve was open while the knob on the dash was pushed in. On later cars the valve is mounted in the heater hoses and is open when the knob is pulled out. You haven't said anything about the car or how old it is so it's not all that easy to help. All Minis are not the same.

"On cars built up to 1988 the valve was mounted directly to the engine and the valve was open while the knob on the dash was pushed in" that's the one I have, it's an 88 Mayfair

#27 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Oh why are they always change year cars?

If you look at the engine, on the left end of the head as you look at it you will see where the heater supply is connected. If it is just a hose fitting coming from the head then you have the late pull for heat type. If there is a large metal valve with a control cable that the hose is fixed to then you have the early push for heat type.

Why do you have no temperature gauge? Does the top radiator hose get hot when the engine is running?

#28 its_courts28

its_courts28

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

Oh why are they always change year cars?

If you look at the engine, on the left end of the head as you look at it you will see where the heater supply is connected. If it is just a hose fitting coming from the head then you have the late pull for heat type. If there is a large metal valve with a control cable that the hose is fixed to then you have the early push for heat type.

Why do you have no temperature gauge? Does the top radiator hose get hot when the engine is running?

I know haha, just to confuse people like me more:) I have the control cable that runs over the top of the metal valve, push for heat one. What do you mean by top radiator hose?

#29 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

The hose to the top of the radiator from the thermostat. If you have no temperature gauge you can feel if the car is at temperature while idling by testing the temperature of the hose. Be very careful near the moving belts and fan.

#30 its_courts28

its_courts28

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

The hose to the top of the radiator from the thermostat. If you have no temperature gauge you can feel if the car is at temperature while idling by testing the temperature of the hose. Be very careful near the moving belts and fan.

The thick one? I think it gets warmer than the heater pipes but still not red hot (you could keep hold of it without it burning but it was only idling 5 minutes or so)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users