#1 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hi all and welcome to my little project :lol:

first things first lets point out i'm no expert so please expect loads of stupid and very basic question...and please feel free to point out anything i could or should be doing and any how to tips will always go down well :D up till now the biggest job i've done was taking out an engine swaping the gearbox and putting it back..and that was following the haynes manual :gimme:

Posted Image

somewhere under there...is my mini :gimme:

i brought this van about 6 years ago with the intent to go down the Vauxhall powered or honda vtec road..but now after it being pointed out what she was and how bad vtecing it would be lol i've decided to restored to factory spec..sell her on and find a later van to play with..so this will be a long term job what with funds(or lack off) and time and a small cold garage and a new baby right next door so no late night noise..but we'll get there in the end..or to a point where i can't take it and further or someone makes me a reasonable offer so i can start all over again :lol:

so far i've stripped and started finding all the usual nastys Rust Rust and a bit more rust...think i even found some solid metal some where..or was i dreaming that??? :gimme:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

they lovely people where i got her from where meant to of fixed the floors and removed/replaced the sills...it's amazing what you can hide under those wide sills :xxx:

So up till now i've been getting a few panels and tools uptogether reminding myself how to weld..i don't remember it being this hard <_<
was looking at changing the whole floor in one piece but the £600 odd price tag was a bit out of my reach O_O
so i'm doing one side at a time with cheaper panels and lots of cutting bending and a fair bit of swearing :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so that and a couple of small patch jobs is as far as i've got..

Edited by minbin 69, 25 March 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#2 w.murfitt

w.murfitt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: Flintshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

good base you have there. :)

Looking forward to seeing the remaining shots

#3 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

thanks..hopefully we can keep it moving on..

#4 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

ok so i'm looking at my engine sat there all sad and un loved..wondering if it a good idea for me to give it a go and clean it strip it check it over( not that i know what i'm really looking for :lol: ) and rebuild it? remembering up till now i've only split an engine and box and put them back together (and they still worked :rock: ) other than that it's just been the bolt on bits that i've change...so is it really a good idea...or do i save up and what the local mini shop will charge me? it's been sat for years..i had it turning over when i first got it but never started...it still turns freely by hand...

so suggestions..tips...hints..links to engine building for dummies :lol: and possible draw backs and damage i could easily do..as always your comment are not only welcome but needed...

Posted Image

Edited by minbin 69, 25 March 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#5 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

not sure what's going on with my photos..but i didn't touch them honest <_<
anyway bit cold out there today so the plan is get lots of tea breaks and see if we get anything done :lol:

#6 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

not much done today..needed to clean up a bit to be able to get at anything...between that and the cold just the rear door step go done...still needs a bit more welding and a lot more grinding :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 steven

steven

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

looks like a good project would love a van some day

#8 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

thanks..looking at so of the other van builds on here makes me want more :D

#9 steven

steven

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

i have the same feeling

#10 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

next one's gonna be vtec'd or 16valve..fun time :lol:
better get this one finished first....

#11 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Finally a day off :D
better get out in the garage and see what we can get done today :lol:

#12 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

not got much got done yesterday...took ages trying to beat out the dents in the rear corner before i could get the repair panel in..happyish with it..a light fill and some paint over it and i'll be a lot happier :lol:

Posted Image
have to say the dent above the repair isn't as bad as it looks in the photo..honest :lol:

ok now a question for you all..at some time in vanny's life some though it was a good idea to cut out the rear side panels :mmkay: so my question is getting some sheet metal and replacing them,good idea or stay well clear ?
I know i'll have to watch the heat and distortion but with my slow welding speed and plenty of tea breaks is it possible ?

Posted Image

#13 Wise Old Elf

Wise Old Elf

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Local Club: Club Lotus

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

I do like a Mini van. Maybe I'll get one when I finally finish my RSP?

Keep the photos coming looks like you are doing some nice work.

#14 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

think everyone needs a mini van :D

#15 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

tried to make the most of my day off (back to work tomorrow) got lots of grinding and cleaning up done..really must learn to finish one panel fully before i start the next one...but wheres the fun in that :lol: so when i got bored of grinding thought i'd fit the A pan...little bit of messing about to get it all lined up right..to be honest took me longer to find the hinges for it...took the scuttle infill off for now i'll fit it when the new scuttle repair on..anyway Apan's on and given a good coating of zinc till i get everything done ready for spraying..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Happy Easter everyone :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users