225 replies to this topic

#16 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Looks like a very good project and your doing well my round nose is going 16v I think you should still 16v this ( que the the barrage of hate) a load pedal is the way to go lol

#17 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

thanks :proud: that always was the plan for it..but gonna be good finish this one and sell it on to fund my 16v play thing :lol:

#18 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

an unexpected day off gave me chance to get on with things..finially got the outer sill on and given a good coat of zinc primer to protect it till i get all the bodywork done and spary it..

Posted Image

thought i'd have a got at making some repair bits..save a bit and means i can still get on with things..

Posted Image

my atemped at a toe board repair pan :lol: needs a bit more work but i think it'll work..

Posted Image

Posted Image

got a few more bit's i might be able to make myself while i wait for my other floor pan and new front end to turn up..

Posted Image

another example of the "proffesional" repairs carried out when i brought it :xxx: that and part of the floor was made of masking tape and filler covered in 5mm of underseal inside and out... >:( Dam sure i wont be dealing with that "H..... classic mini" place just outside Reading again...

Edited by minbin 69, 04 April 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#19 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

well got my repair panel in..just waiting on my mate to sort me out some more metal then i'll have a go at repairing the inner wing to..

Posted Image

started having a clear up ready to roll her over to do the other side of the floor(once i get the panels) 1 wheely bin full later i found the floor :lol:
and the rear valance so i fitted that to...

Posted Image

so i'm out of panels and metal...what to do...ummmmm ok time to be brave and start on the engine strip down...so after draining the black slugh that once was oil we started....the water ways are full of rust and crap...the pistons and valves are caked in black stuff..so how do i get rid of that?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

you can get rid of the carbon (black stuff) easily with a wire brush or even better a wire wheel in a drill.
But be careful not to go onto the mating surfaces of the head to block as these need to be kept 100% flat & true of each other :thumbsup:

#21 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

thanks rally..though it was carbon but didn't want to sound stupid :lol: just wasn't sure if that would damage the faces of the valves and pistions..i will be stripping both the head and block down fully..just have to be a bit careful with the head then :thumbsup:

#22 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

thanks rally..though it was carbon but didn't want to sound stupid :lol: just wasn't sure if that would damage the faces of the valves and pistions..i will be stripping both the head and block down fully..just have to be a bit careful with the head then :thumbsup:

Haha yeah dont worry, we all are daft in are own ways :proud: .
To be honest its the cleaning of the pistons which is the hardest as they sit flush with the block & more importantly you dont want any crappy carbon in the gap between the piston & bore so maybe use some thinners & a air blower to clear any left over crap out post de-carbonising :thumbsup: .
May i also advise wire wheeling the head before you take the valves out as it'l be much easyer that way.

#23 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Gonna wait till i get the pistons out before i start on them..but the lack of a flywheel puller is holding that up for now..
as for the valves i did them in place (lack of compression spring tool) and after your coment about the faces i left the old head gasket on just for a bit of protection against drill slips :D

Posted Image

look a bit better...is that how they should look or do i need to keep going?

#24 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Well you could keep going & even further get the polish out :lol: but if up to you, if you happy with it all's well.

#25 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

well my van's only thing i would polish :lol: now you've said that i'm gonna keep looking at them and want to clean them >_<

#26 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

ok so today utter stupidity and an inablity to wait for anything got the better of me :shy:
the fact is i ordered a flywheel puller last night off ebay..and yes some of you will know where this is heading... :withstupid:
my mate said hit it from behind through the starter motor hole..keep turning it and it'll come off..then some idoit managed to clip the housing and take a chunk out of it... >_< :!: yes the air turned blue.....

So now my Question is are the flywheel housings the same for the different engine sizes? cause i have one that came off either a 998 or 1098 engine anybody know?

#27 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Just take it to your local welder/ fabricator & he'l tig the chunk of ally on :proud:

#28 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

hadn't even thought of that..cheers rally :D

#29 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Ahh no worries, i once broke the locating stud hole in the timing cover for a nissan nivara :crazy: .
Would have left it to be honest but it was into the gasket area so thought best to get it tigged, come to think of it he must have even sanded/filed the gasket mating surface down for me :-) .

#30 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

that was nice of him :D but i think bolton's a bit far for me :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users