225 replies to this topic

#31 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

not much happening right now due to lack of funds,panels,paint and the right tools for the job :whistling:

Posted Image
photo of my stupidity...

anyway back to work tomorrow so thought i'd something..started off with removing the sill,might aswell get it ready for the new floor pan...

Posted Image
ohh i do so love peeling back the over sill to see whats hiding under it....

Posted Image

Posted Image

oh well tea break over :lol: better get back out there and do some more...

#32 ChrisCityE

ChrisCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

With the floors, did 61 have outer sills then? I thought they were still floor and sill in one on the outside with an inner sill, but I am not sure when it changed...

Keep up the good work and join the TMF Van meet this year!

Edited by ChrisCityE, 10 April 2013 - 07:32 AM.

#33 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

thanks Chris...from what i've been told and from talking to the nice lady at M machines yes the small outer sill is right for the 61..and as you can see in the photo once i peeled back the over sill you can see the remains of the old out sill..though to be honest that doesn't really prove it..just shows what was there..

it'll need to be very late in the year for me to be ready :D if not maybe next year when this ones been sold and i've got a later van to play with :D

#34 ChrisCityE

ChrisCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

I have found it difficult tracing the exact history of the van panels, floors/sills etc is just another mystery. My Van was December 1960 so pretty close to '61 and has the old style.

Not sure when the TMF-Van meet would be, a few of us are 'lose but not close enough' to finished.

#35 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

i know what you mean..trying to find anything van related is a nightmare >_< thats part of the reason i joined this forum being as theres a few more van builds going on so i was hoping you lot would know these things :lol:

have to wait and see what happens on that one...

#36 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

well the good news is my next order of panels arrived today :D now all i need is time to get them fitted..

Posted Image

being as it was to late to make any noise out there thought i'd finish stripping the head..that was easy enough..now have 8 numbered bags containing a valve and it's bits..if i thought the faces of the valves were coked up the backs and chambers behind them are even worse..sorry about the photos,i dropped the camera >_<

Posted Image

Posted Image

and now todays problem...i found a small crack running through on of the valve seats and about 10mm either side of it :!: so would i be right in thinking theses nothing i can do with it ? just have to replace the head?

#37 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

You could get it miged up but think the prefered method is tig.
Never done it myself although i,ve heard cast can be a bugger for welding.

#38 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

thanks Rally..i posted it in the tech bit to..the general opinion seems to be scrap it..
but i will ask when i get my flywheel housing looked at

#39 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

not much to show for a day off work..considering it was a heritage inner wing it took me hours of bending stretching and trimming to get it to fit >_< when the other side went straight on with no messing..next door must of thought i was doing a drum solo :lol:
oh well hopefully tomorrow will be better..the floor pan will drop straight in.....

#40 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

another day another panel..or 2...got the passenger side floor in not to many problems...well apart from everyone else wanting something done.. :roll: that and the rear valance corner..the list of panels needed is getting shorter :D the list of little holes and bits to repair seems to be growing all the time :(

todays question is...how to get the ****ing flywheel off??? so far broke 2 pullers..the 3rd is just about holding with extra thick washes to stop the bolts pulling through...it's been left on the for days..tightening it a bit more each day or trying to...what else can i do??? HELP!!!!

#41 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

See as you have already chipped the clutch housing I would say a large drift like a socket bar and a very large hammer give it a good whack from behind to shock it off don't use wood it will only absorb the hammers force. You may find that when it does go it will do with a bang first time I did it I had the same problem and when I hit it from behind I thought it cracked it with the noise it made but hit and turn is your way forward and don't worry about that chip it's not an oil right cover anyway

#42 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

thanks Darren managed to get it off with a combo of heat..big hammer and a puller :D

Posted Image

#43 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

not much happening today..got a bit of grinding done but nothing major ran out of time..so then split the engine and box..good new is there no signs of damage to the gear teeth..well nothing obvious to me...which is good cause i'm not sure i'm brave enough to take that lot apart :lol:

Posted Image

todays question is..how do i get the custard like oil and gunk out of it?

#44 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

looks cracking this project. nice metal work to.

#45 minbin 69

minbin 69

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

looks cracking this project. nice metal work to.

thanks Tom :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users