Photo

Aircraft Engineering Apprenticeship Advice.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew O

Andrew O

Previously known as Andrewo330.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

Is anyone on here an aircraft engineer or similar ?

I have an interview at BAMC ( British Airways Maintanence Cardiff ) coming up and I am just looking for some general advice from someone involved in this area.
I don't usually get nervous but this is such a massive opportunity I really do not want to miss out on.

The interview day consists of some aptitude tests, practical tests and then if I get through them I get to the interview at the end of the day.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Andrew

#2 BritishRacingGreen

BritishRacingGreen

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

There's nothing you can do really to prepare yourself for the aptitude tests, thats the whole point of them :P what sort of practical tests?

For the interview, just make sure you've done your homework on the company you're applying for, relevant info like what they're doing at the moment and where they're looking at going is likely to come up. also your personal reasons for why you're doing this, questions like 'why do you want this role' are quite common so make sure you have a good response.

Good luck!

#3 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Suppose that's a fair point, and I've no idea what the practical tests will be.

I'm doing plenty of research into bamc so I've got that side of things covered.

Thanks
Andrew

#4 conlad

conlad

Previously known as ct16mini.

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

I've got one of these assessment centre days coming up...1st of May

It's for a Logistics technician at BMW Hams Hall and my dad knows these days inside out in terms of things they can ask and do, as he used to be head of HR at Homeserve and now runs his own business - still doing Human Resources and Communication - he's gonna run all the most important things past me, I can PM you on here with anything I pick up from him.

So far the things I've gathered are:

- Be yourself, that's who they will be employing
- Think on your feet, initiative is important
- Talk freely with other candidates as this is who you might be working with if you got employed, it shows good communication
- Research the things they do and exactly what they want from the candidate, reflect your knowledge of the application in your answers - it shows you've read it not just thought...''sod it I'll apply''

A few pointers I hope :D

#5 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

My jaw needs oiling. Where's the WD40??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

I did one a year and half ago for GKN for the test we did basic maths and English some physics equations cranks pulleys counterbalancing and had to write a bit about the company. For the practical we were give a drawing and told to write a process on how to make it, I went the extra mile and actually made it :P interview was fine just be yourself, don't come across as too nervous and try to show enthusiasm for the company and the job
Not saying it will be exactly the same but hope this helps
Jack good luck :D

#6 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

There's nothing you can do really to prepare yourself for the aptitude tests, thats the whole point of them :P what sort of practical tests?

For the interview, just make sure you've done your homework on the company you're applying for, relevant info like what they're doing at the moment and where they're looking at going is likely to come up. also your personal reasons for why you're doing this, questions like 'why do you want this role' are quite common so make sure you have a good response.

Good luck!

Not quite true on aplitude tests.

Search for practice ones online. There is lots! Also when you contiunaly do them there will no doubt be repeat questions from the ones you have practiced. Really helps when you need all the seconds you can get to finish some of them (Although they might not be looking for speed and go on a percentage of correctly answered questions out of how many you completed).

#7 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Some great advice so far.
I have printed some aptitude tests of and I'm going through them. I don't know how similar or dissimilar they will be to the ones I will sit ?
Is there anyone on here working as an aircraft engineer ?

Andrew

#8 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'm working on site at Filton doing aircraft fitting

Some great advice so far.
I have printed some aptitude tests of and I'm going through them. I don't know how similar or dissimilar they will be to the ones I will sit ?
Is there anyone on here working as an aircraft engineer ?

Andrew

#9 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Are you an apprentice ?

Andrew

#10 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Yeah have been for the last year and 1/2

Are you an apprentice ?

Andrew

#11 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

What were your selection tests/interview like then ?

Andrew

#12 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

They weren't too bad the test was basic maths English physics and a little bit about the company, the interview was alright they asked me about working in a group, communication skills any activities you do, mechanical mind I mentioned my mini and had quite a talk about that :P also for the interview I had to create a process from a drawing I went the extra mile and the made it they were quite impressed
Hope this helps
Jack

#13 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Sounds like you impressed them then.
How's the course itself going ?

Andrew

#14 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

It's always best to try your best :P yeah really good spent the first year at college and did a NVQ and PEO level 2 and started a NVQ level 3 this year whilst doing three days at work on site and one day at college
Jack

#15 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Yes i am an Aircraft Engineer and my son is an apprentice Aircraft tecnician for Virgin Atlantic where i work.

His assessment days and i mean days here consisted of several parts.

First day.

This was a day of Aptitude tests.
This included basic engineering tests like "if this cog rotates in this direction what will be the final outcome through the collection of cogs attached to input one"
Basic flying control theory, ie how does an aerofoil work?? If the right hand aileron rises and the l/h lowers in which direction will the aircraft roll??
Basic maths and physics tests.
Psychometric tests.
Team exercise, this could comprise of " where do you see the engineering department within the Airline.describe this by designing and making a very basic 3D contruct to represent this"

Now providing on how this day went was whether you were called through to the interview process on another day.

This is where they asked you things like " why do you want to become a aircraft engineer"
"What do you know of the aircraft we use and service"
"Show us something you have built" Scott brought in his Mini Magazine spread for his Mini Project Erm. ( This got him the job and nothing to do with me)
They had quite an informal chat with questions thrown in as well.

Now if this went well and you were offered a place then you had to pass the medical so all in it was over three days.

Now BAMC do a similar thing as i went there for a Assessment day in 93 for a position in Bay three as a Aircraft Technician.

My morning comprised of a mechanical aptitude test, Psychometric test and some other HR based things as well. The interview if the morning was successful was in the afternoon. but not for me.

Now i am a Unrestricted B1 Certifying Engineer with 13 Aircraft types and another one coming hopefully this year and been an aircraft engineer for 33 years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users